2017 Sidney Reports

TH.JPG
TH1.JPG
Was out Tuesday evening at the spit and nothing,tried jigging at the light off coal island and came up with some rockfish. Tons of baitfish boiling up though. Thursday evening went to Hamley for the tide change.
Couple of dogfish and a decent rock cod that was odd to catch. Only did a few passes because there was so much current. Went out to the spit for family fish and had some luck. 65' of water , 50 feet of braid, Ol Betsy and a seasoned coho killer. My loving wife was on net with the three small children watching! It was go time and we had the net tangled in with the spoon and without hesitation she one arms the fish into the boat!

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 34696
View attachment 34697
Was out Tuesday evening at the spit and nothing,tried jigging at the light off coal island and came up with some rockfish. Tons of baitfish boiling up though. Thursday evening went to Hamley for the tide change.
Couple of dogfish and a decent rock cod that was odd to catch. Only did a few passes because there was so much current. Went out to the spit for family fish and had some luck. 65' of water , 50 feet of braid, Ol Betsy and a seasoned coho killer. My loving wife was on net with the three small children watching! It was go time and we had the net tangled in with the spoon and without hesitation she one arms the fish into the boat!
Great post Many years ago a good friend grabbed my belt and I almost launched myself off the back of my boat for a 14# spring I had knocked off with the net but I got the fish.
Are there any new Sidney fishing reports? Also crabbing reports?

Fished Hamely yesterday from 8-12. Two springs, one of which was a 12 lb'er. Both caught around 90 feet on AP spoon with moon jelly flasher. Saw one other fish caught near us and that was about it.

Fished Hamley from about 9:30 - 1:00 hitting both sides of the ebb. Was one of about 6 boats in the area. An incredible amount of bait and fish on the sounder but nothing to show for the effort. One short biter long line released. On the plus side, I can blame the eclipse for my lack of success. Never used that one before :)

Was out with a buddy fishing from Sidney for my first time. We were jigging and the salmon didn't find us so move to try for Lings and that was great fun. Had many hook ups and managed to get 1 nice keeper each. Our biggest was 14 lb while the other was 9 lb. Both on smaller dark green & black jiggs. One thing I found interesting as he hooked up but didn't get a great set the Sea Bass went back into its home(hole in the rock) so a waiting game and some slack line until he came out and the line tightened up and he reeled it up. That one was a monster Sea Bass that was released. A beauty day in the sun on the water off Sidney BC.

Attachments

• IMG_0717.JPG
    IMG_0717.JPG
    363 KB · Views: 108
Anybody trying for winter springs? I just moved out this way and am looking for somebody to share their honey holes with me!
I had a nice summer fishing Pender bluffs. Got into a few teens and lost a big one at the boat. Note to self... have your net ready before hooking a nice fish! Rookie mistake.

Anybody trying for winter springs? I just moved out this way and am looking for somebody to share their honey holes with me!

I haven't been out since late September! I'm starting to get the shakes ;)

Winter fishing in Sidney is some of the best around. My favourites are off Sidney Spit in 80-120' of water. Fish right on the bottom. If you have a bit of time, try trolling the whole length of the west side of the island island on ebb, then troll the East side on the flood.

There's Coal island as well. Fish the East side of the island same depths as above. Though beware the North East Reef - its always hungry for cannonballs.

Glad you had success at the bluffs this year. That's more than some of us can say ;)

I haven't been out since late September! I'm starting to get the shakes ;)

Winter fishing in Sidney is some of the best around. My favourites are off Sidney Spit in 80-120' of water. Fish right on the bottom. If you have a bit of time, try trolling the whole length of the west side of the island island on ebb, then troll the East side on the flood.

There's Coal island as well. Fish the East side of the island same depths as above. Though beware the North East Reef - its always hungry for cannonballs.

Glad you had success at the bluffs this year. That's more than some of us can say ;)
You get a like for that response... I appreciate the info!
Do you think the feeders are there now, or should I wait a little longer? The boat is all tuned up and the new top is on, so I'm good to go!

Beware of crab traps when fishing the west side of Sidney spit when the current is at a decent clip. I've been hooked up on submerged traps a few times trolling there.

Tha
Beware of crab traps when fishing the west side of Sidney spit when the current is at a decent clip. I've been hooked up on submerged traps a few times trolling there.
Thanks Mark,
I just lost a ball on Monday at Victoria waterfront. It's just not a fun situation. I'll keep my distance from the traps!

Agreed. Having a buddy on board can help with this issue (one on the motor, one on the rod). But it's never a fun time. If you can react quick enough you can generally save it

I don't think the feeders would be here in good numbers quite yet. A bit early, but if the weather cooperates do some recon for us ;)

Fished the afternoon off the spit at not an ideal tide.. managed to get one hit, landed it. 6lb stomach full of shrimp. It was a bathtub out there! Tested out my new trophy reels and my Boxing Day Techniums. Really enjoyed playing the fish :D

I tried Fairfax today, along with another 8-10 other boats, had 1 little hit in 3 hours, didn’t hook up. Tried many lure combo’s, speeds, depths etc. It just wasn’t my day to catch fish. It was beautiful weather though!
I saw some boats releasing undersized fish, and I heard of one nice fish landed. Anyone out there today have anything to add? Anyone else want to share any info on hot spots you know of?
Happy New Year!

Back