2017 Sidney Reports

Lots of Bait and arches at the powder wharf this afternoon, but a strong flood tide and endless amounts of weeds, grass and assorted detritus kept the skunk on board the boat.

Lots of salad there on Saturday too. The tide is gonna be ripping like crazy (3 kt ebbs and 3kt floods from Wednesday-Sunday) so maybe itll flush some of it out by next weekend.

Heard of a ~25# wild caught in Sidney today. Only slightly jealous...

Made it back on the water this week for the first time in two months. Fished 7-11 starting at Wain rock for a half hour, inlet was very thick with algae. Moved on to Sidney channel which was pretty much a boat ride with current ripping. Around 10 with no bites and feeling defeated, ready to call it a day and heading back to MilIMG_20170424_110433.jpg l Bay. Dropped a line on the Sidney side of satellite channels the current was pretty slack..... About 5 minutes in Tap tap tap....Whammo!15 lb wild on an anchovy spoon 100ft right on the bottom.

I was starting to wonder what happened to you, Mark. Thought maybe the killer whales gotcha! :p

My better half and I went to Ballina Australia for 3 weeks to visit my best bud of 25 year who lives there with his wife and 18 month old lil man. Did a bit of estuary fishing as they live right across the street from Richmond river. We had a nice placed booked in Cardwell Queensland to do some barramundi fishing for 4 days but had to cancel as tropical cyclone Debbie hit there the day we were supposed to the fly in. 400mils of rain 250km winds didn't sound like great fishing conditions. Did manage to catch a couple flathead(nice eating whitefish bullhead looking thing) and hooked into a 36ish inch giant herring that screamed and tailwalked but snapped me off. Caught a cold on the 14 hr flight and been sick as a dog for the last 3 weeks. Was nice to finally feel better and get some fishing in.IMG-20170419-WA0008.jpg IMG-20170419-WA0007.jpg IMG-20170419-WA0005.jpg IMG_20170322_173247.jpg IMG_20170325_190459.jpg

Caught this fella today out in the slop and ripping current. 19 lb hatchery that peeled line so hard I thought I had a seal! Biggest fish of the year for me so far, hopefully I can catch his big brother in the Sidney Anglers derby in a couple weeks!

20170426_120547.jpg

You can see where I caught it in the pic, right in the corner of the mouth!!! :D

I didnt really wanna disclose that info with the derby so close. The places Ill be fishing will be crowded enough as is!

Reactions: Cam
Ill let u know on May 7th, PatyO.

I thought I was being pretty generous showing the lure!

Ill let u know on May 7th, PatyO.
I thought I was being pretty generous showing the lure!

Ha! You're a good sport advTHXance - hope you get some fishy karma for the derby. Nice fish.

When I saw your pic the worst part of me wondered if you *actually* caught it on that glow back (cookies and cream I suspect) coho killer. The line's tension is away from the rod after all ;-) But leaving my suspicious nature behind, I'll share that the mother-of-pearl coho killer has done best for me in that area.

Thanks for the vote of non-confidence, FI. Youre a ray of sunshine.

Salted - its not a staged pic, thats the lure I caught it on. The other rod is in the pic because I was retrieving the other side 20 feet at a time when the fish ran, the rod I caught it on is leaned out the port side which should explain the tension on the leader. Lots of coho killers have glow backs as far as I know. I was gonna fish bait for the derby but I might have to throw out a spoon on one side now!

Youve seen my boat, RC. No need to bug it, its visible for miles around! ;)

I havent been out that way yet this season, High Time. Youll see me over there in the summer though Im sure.

Back