2017 Sidney Reports

Another frustrating prawn expedition in the Saanich Inlet. Eventually I'll find them! Anyone having any luck? Lots of floats out there!
Hit and miss. Wish people would stop using floating line and really small floats

went prawning and fishing on sunday. Lauched at mill bay, headed south, dropped 6 pots, 4 had decent results. did not catch any fish and trolled around pat bay and salt spring.

Another frustrating prawn expedition in the Saanich Inlet. Eventually I'll find them! Anyone having any luck? Lots of floats out there!
Are you setting your traps, and then sitting there watching them? I know it's not the best way to kill time while the traps soak, but unfortunately may be necessary in the inlet right now. Through an incredible stroke of luck, I recently moved to a house that is front and center on the prawning grounds (Henderson point area). I have witnessed the f#!$ing prawn thieves in action! Saw a boat last week that I thought was acting strange, and I felt he was pulling others trap, but I couldn't be sure. Then on Sunday I had my traps soaking and was checking on them with the binocs while I watched the masters...sure enough I saw that same boat right on my floats. I ran down to the boat and zipped out there, as soon as he saw me coming he high tailed it outta there, towards Brentwood bay. My traps were completely empty. I've seen this boat several times, and I'll be looking out for him and WILL catch him in the act, and once I have a good picture of the boat I'll be posting it. I'm 99.9% sure this guy is poaching our traps, but I need to be 100% before I post the details of his boat.... just wanted to let any other inlet prawners know this is happening...again.

hey I had lost a trap two weeks ago with the last name McAllan on it if any body sees it floating around would be awesome to get it back it had a yellow cone float with blue rope. i had it by cherry point, the other two traps i had their i got and then never moved from where i dropped them so it kinda feels suspicious. thanks for any info

A long weekend with no severe winds in the forecast? Do my eyes decieve me?
I'm putting the final touches on my boat, but I'll be out! Looking forward to it.

Went out this morning just for the early change. Nothing doing at Coal so I went to Fairfax for a bit, ended up releasing one about 7 or 8lbs. A few boats out so Im sure the reports will be pouring in today!:rolleyes:

Worth noting that the town of Sidney has got the other docks in at the ramp. We 3 lanes now!

Gave the powder wharf a half hearted try tonight no luck guy at the dock said 1came in from fair fax and one from the bluffs pretty slow

Boy yesterday was the Coal Island rockfish show. 3-5pm
Big Bait ball on the bottom: rockfish .

40ft on the rigger in 80 Ft of water. Rockfish.

Couple of large marks midway through the water column. Rockfish.

Check gear. Twice. Rockfish.

Green splatterback hoochie on green kite tail flasher and glow/UV lurecharge hoochie on blue flasher. Not that it matters much ;)

Out for the high slack this morning in Sidney. Had a couple pin poppers that didnt stick, then bonked one about 12 lbs shortly after. Only fished for a couple hours, there was a lot of seaweed and wood in the water.

Pretty slow for us this morning between Coal and Fairfax. Of course the bite comes on right as my brother is whining about going in... Think Ill fish solo tomorrow!

The powder wharf was on fire today - limit of 4 springs 10 - 14 lbs in 2 hours. Green spatter back coho killer on the bottom in 60 feet of water. Lots of snuffies on patrol but they didn't cause any problems.

Can someone help someone new to the Sidney area? Where is the powder wharf?

So far I've tried Fairfax and coal with some limited success, just trying to learn some of the spots and where is the best on any given tide.

Thanks!

The powder wharf is the dock on the SE corner of James Island. They used to make dynamite there I believe.

History
The island is within the traditional territories of the Tsawout First Nation. Hereditary chief Louie Pelkey of the Tsawout was born on the island in 1860.[4]Although it is east of the North Saanich Douglas Treaty area and south of the Hul'q'umin'um Treaty area, it is not within a Douglas Treaty area.[5] In the early 1900s, the island was used as a private hunting ground for Victoria sportsmen including then British Columbia Premier Richard McBride, who served between 1903 and 1915. In 1913 a dynamite plant was established on the island. The plant was owned by a company that merged into Canadian Explosives Ltd, which in turn changed its name to Canadian Industries Limited (CIL) in 1927. From the outset of World War II, the plant was operated by Defence Industries Ltd, a subsidiary of CIL. The plant, and many of its workers' cottages, had been moved to the island from Nanaimo. At its peak, the plant employed 800 people, most of whom lived in a small, traffic-free village on the opposite end of the island. During World War II, the plant produced 900 tonnes of TNT per month. The TNT plant closed in 1977, and it and the village were disassembled and removed from the island in 1979.

James Island was purchased by Craig McCaw in 1994 for $19 million. Since then there was repeated legal action taken against ICI (formerly CIL) as the new owner was unable to turn over the property to residential use as per his intention due to its industrial history, a status which had been well-documented as of the sale.[6] Recent luxury resort development on the island includes a golf course, yacht moorage, seaplane ramp, and an airstrip.

McCaw has reportedly established an environmental regime on James Island where insecticides are not allowed, power lines are underground and electric cars and golf carts are used for transportation. The island was the property with the highest assessed value in the Capital Regional District in 2009, at almost $76 million.[7] In June, 2012, the island was put on the market with an asking price of $75 million. The Island is no longer listed and reportedly no longer for sale.

Lots of boats at the powder wharf this morning! A couple hits for me but none in the box.

Back