2017 Sidney Reports

fished in the mill bay marina derby yesterday, got one 50cm right off the marina, and a couple bites around pat bay. The winner was a 12 I think, looked to be about 15 fish weighed in. Everyone had a great time, the weather held out, and I got a pile of flashers and lures as a draw prize!

Nothing for us today anchored out by Hamley. Bit of a traffic jam at the boat ramp too so I didnt make it in time for the weigh in. Nice day on the water though, think I got a bit of a tan!

We launched at 2:30, and it was already a traffic jam. The low tide and piles of gravel at the waters edge didn't help matters either. We launched on the other side of the pilings.
Only jigged a bit around coal with nothing to show for it (but a couple lures sacrificed to the reef Gods). Going out for a good spell tomorrow.

Nothing for us today anchored out by Hamley. Bit of a traffic jam at the boat ramp too so I didnt make it in time for the weigh in. Nice day on the water though, think I got a bit of a tan!

Any idea how many halibut were weighed in? Cheers!

No idea on the # of hali weighed in, but the winner was 31 lbs.

Snuck out this morning for the 3 hour slack. Nothing going on in Sidney Channel fish-wise, so I moved to Coal Island where I released a couple unders and bonked one about 7lbs.

Interestingly enough I had 2 commercial crabbers set strings of pots right in front of me today. The first one set about a 10-pot string across my bow and just behind another sportfisher that had just arrived. This happened west of the red can buoy in Sidney Channel at the 130 foot contour, so be careful if youre fishing in that area. The second happened on the south side of Dock Island in about 80 or 90 feet of water... the guy came steaming over from Haro Strait, and just set his string right across my bow starting from the starboard side and then tossing his float right in my path about 50 feet in front of me - thanks buddy.

20170321_085941.jpg

Tried some Hali fishing around Sidney Island, no luck.
Also getting a little annoyed with the local commercial crabbers. Flying out the harbour in the predawn without looking where they are going, well in excess of the harbour speed limit and not showing any navigation lights. They seem to have their own rules.

Those crabbers sound like Tofino now.
Total BS how they have no respect for other boats and our salmon tacks

I understand they are just trying to do their job as best they can, but its a big ocean. You dont have to set your gear right in front of a trolling sportie.

Im sure theyll clean the area out soon enough and most of them will move elsewhere..........................................

Tried Sidney channel for a couple hours Saturday. No bites.
DFO was doing a survey at Tulista, said he hadn't seen any keepers come in by mid afternoon.

Trolled Hambley for a few hours yesterday, not a sniff and we only saw one other fish played. Pretty nice day though and we got 7 big, hard crabs. They're in perfect condition right now.

Well there were some decent fish weighed in today for the SAA in-house derby. Top 3 fish were 13, 13, and 11 I believe. I weighed in a 10 lb fish which was caught at Coal Island on a sandlance. Also released one a bit smaller, maybe 6 or 8 lbs, and a couple unders. Nice day out there with no wind for the most part. :)

Spent 9 hours at anchor yesterday hunting Halibut with no luck. About half the time on the east side of Sidney Island skirting the border and the other half by Zero Rock. Around three the wind came up. it hailed and rained, I snagged the bottom and proceeded to break my Shimano Trevala in half trying to free it up. No more expensive rods for me! I seem to break them all before they see their fare share of fish!

Tried Prawning in the Inlet yesterday. Not sure if i didn't have the depth dialed in or if they didn't like my bait. Pretty poor results. Released a couple of small Springs as well. Nice day out there though.

That sucks about the prawning - I wonder how others are doing in the inlet? We were out opening day and had a small haul but it was fun. 4 traps 4 hours 150 prawns... Is that what others are averaging?

Trolled around in the seaweed and chop for a while yesterday. Released a couple fish between 5 and 7 lbs, as well as a couple smaller ones. No luck finding a bigger one for me, although I did see a few nets out. Tried running strip on one side for the first time in about 20 yrs. Its a bit different having to cut your own rather than thawing out a tray. My strip-cutting skills definitely need practice! Also tried the Rhys Davis bigbite strip on one side, but had a hard time getting a roll I liked on it.

Another frustrating prawn expedition in the Saanich Inlet. Eventually I'll find them! Anyone having any luck? Lots of floats out there!

Back