2017 Sidney Reports

Thanks for the reports guys. Hopefully these fish stick around for the derby this weekend!

Can anyone give me some advice on fishing Coal Island (which side of the island etc...). I only fish the Sidney side once in a while and I usually end up at the Powder Wharf, Fairfax, or Sidney Channel...I want to give Coal a try sometime soon.

Thanks

Most anglers fish Southeast of Coal Island. Its not nearly as easy to fish as the other places youve listed. You really have to pay attention to your charts and sounder - lots of places to get hung up and lose lead and gear. The Sidney Anglers tidebook says to troll from Shag Rock to Dock Island and Charmer Point.

Just show up there around noon this Saturday and follow the 80 boats!

I guess its also worth mentioning that there are a couple RCAs to the West and to the East of the fishing grounds at Coal. Last week I saw a guy troll from Fairfax over to Coal right through an RCA. On our way in I pulled up beside him and mentioned that he was trolling through an RCA. He told me they were fishing for salmon, not cod... I let him know that RCAs are closed to all sportfishing, and he picked up his gear and headed back to port. Probably an honest mistake on his part but you never know... A guy fishing in a $100,000 aluminium boat should be well-versed in the areas he plans on fishing.

Fished Wain rock area yesterday morning. Brought out a friend from work and got him his first ever spring...8lbs. I released one about the same size and lost one screamer mid to high teens that wrapped around my cannonball and snapped the leader clip onto the downrigger braid.....gone like a bullet....leader, spoon and all. So if someone lands a nice spring with a glow AP anchovie spoon in its mouth. There's beer in it for the returned spoon...haha.

Well the fish are still here. A 17 and a 19 were caught yesterday, and another boat limited out. Hope they stay around for three more days.
FYI caught in Sidney on a spoons.

Seems reasonable enough to me. I rarely take more than 1 fish at a time anyways. Ive probably released a dozen legals in the past 2 weeks.

Seems reasonable enough to me. I rarely take more than 1 fish at a time anyways. Ive probably released a dozen legals in the past 2 weeks.
I agree it makes sense if it is to encourage only keeping one of the allowable two fish limit. What makes no sense to me is a slot that is in fact 2 inches from minimum to maximum for an allowable keeper, pretty precise. Pretty much an unspoken one fish rule, camouflaged as a slot.
What also is strange is that if this is to protect the Fraser run why does it only kick in after they have passed Victoria, where up until then the minimum was 45cm?Why the difference between sizes between Area 20 to 19/4 and 19/5 north.Same fish in this case are they not? Maybe the second fish slot should be 45-65 cm, eliminate the 62 min on the second fish? Make it a reasonable slot. Sure there is a reason, but it strikes me from a conservation standpoint as closing the barn door after the horse has escaped. Apply stricter limits after the majority of fishing pressure is off?

Really slow for me yesterday. All the hot reports from further north in the gulf islands had me hoping... Finally hooked a 10lber around noon and while fighting him the other rod goes off, and it's a hot fish, definitely bigger. It ran across to the surface and crossed lines with the other rod. While trying to cross the rods the big one came off, but landed the 10lber at least.

I actually like the 62cm limit. It probably results in less fishing pressure in the area, and who wants to keep a fish shorter than 62cm? I wouldnt, not a chinook anyways.

Twas the night before the derby, and all through the house,
not a creature was stirring, not even a spouse!
The bait was all brined in the cooler with care,
hoping that soon a tyee would be there!

Goodluck to everybody tomorrow, and stay outta my way!! ;)

Back