2017 Sidney Reports

@floored No need to go far! We were back out yesterday and got into 5 good fish and landed an 83cm 18lb wild and one about 10lbs and lost the other 3. One of the ones we lost was what I'd guess was a fish in the twenties, it snapped us off at the side of the boat. This morning we also went out and went 1-2 with a 10lb hatchery.

Attachments

• IMG_0427.PNG
    IMG_0427.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
@floored No need to go far! We were back out yesterday and got into 5 good fish and landed an 83cm 18lb wild and one about 10lbs and lost the other 3. One of the ones we lost was what I'd guess was a fish in the twenties, it snapped us off at the side of the boat. This morning we also went out and went 1-2 with a 10lb hatchery.
Are you fishing Sidney? I just know your a sooke/Vic guy so just curious

Sure am! No way the 14 foot tinner is fishing sooke in the recent winds.
You city slickers coming up here and stealing our fish. Get off my lawn! :D :p
Glad to see someone having success up here anyway. I had two hits that didn't stick Monday afternoon at the Spit trying out a LeftCoast Lures Anchovy Cut Plug Spoon.

Jigged up about a billion dogfish in all the hot jigging spots.

The weather is too nice to be stuck inside, nonetheless.

Had a beauty on for awhile on Tues eve that smacked coho killer and went on nice hard run. Outsmarted my old pops tho but was some excitement fir a bit. Seal also in area so might have been robbed.

80cm 11# Monday night, 68 cm 8# Tuesday night, lots of Dogs and a couple unders in between, all caught off the spit. Coho killers doing good. Can't wait to get in some of these high teen, low 20's under 85cm I keep hearing about. Be fun to get into some of those butterballs.... lots of others seen caught this week of James, spit, Hamely. So nice to see sidney produce been awhile... can't go wrong with this weather...

Picked up this 10 pound wild, last night after the tide change near Powder Wharf by the golf course. Trolling anchovies with purple on purple for colour.
Pulling out at Tulista at 9 p.m. last night, the creel guy advised that he had been there since 10 a.m. and this was the first fish he had seen all day so evidently fishing is slow in the area.

Attachments

• IMG_1261.jpg
    IMG_1261.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: NAD
Out in Sidney to escape the NW. Fairfax Pt - couple nibbles, Bluffs - nothing. Lots of bait at Fairfax which was at least promising. I never fish this side, but I might give Sidney Isl a go tomorrow just to get out. Do you guys fish both sides of the spit and what do most folks run for depths?? It's looking shallow so I figure drag one line down the mud and another up somewhere else.

Out in Sidney to escape the NW. Fairfax Pt - couple nibbles, Bluffs - nothing. Lots of bait at Fairfax which was at least promising. I never fish this side, but I might give Sidney Isl a go tomorrow just to get out. Do you guys fish both sides of the spit and what do most folks run for depths?? It's looking shallow so I figure drag one line down the mud and another up somewhere else.

Most folks fish the Sidney Side of the Island from the Red Marker (between Sidney Island and James Island) north to past the Spit - though I have fished the backside of the island with some spotty success.

Depths: Mud dragging is popular but very hazardous! There are countless crab traps, active and abandoned, in many depths (I've found them as deep as 120'). I've caught fish as shallow as 35 feet, but the most are around the 55-80 feet range this time of year. Should be lots of bait around, and lots of salad on the flood currents.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Hope you like it here - it's a completely different vibe than Sooke/Vic - way friendlier people ;)

Fished 6-9 p.m. last night at Coal. Picked up a 10 pound hatch Spring on anchovies. A couple of other pin poppers that didn't hook up. Lots of bait in the water.

Snuck out for 90 minutes on Tuesday night to relieve some stress (buying a house!). But the stress was added when I lost a hog while jigging - two full jumps then threw the hook - bent the hook past 90 degrees! Using a white needlefish jig by eChip.

Slightly north of the red can, in about 70 feet of water.

Two more dogfish brought in shortly after to close off the night.

After a bbq at the spit, we dropped the lines for about an hour and were reward with a couple fish, nothing of size, but it sure is nice to see some fish hanging around the sidney area, coho killer and
ap sandlance right near the bottom!

Went out this morning with @Docmedia for a solid session. Doubleheader right out of the gates!!
Was bringing up the rigger for @Docmedia amd the other line was popped and singing... I went for the rod and was trying to maintain the smile from overtaking my face. @Docmedia was cool, calm and collected he took control landing and netting his own fish, then cutting the line free as we were tangled and finally netting my fish. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better ... it does.

Attachments

• IMG_3912.JPG
    IMG_3912.JPG
    378.1 KB · Views: 88
We got a 15 & 10 out there today. Got into a few others we lost. Real good bite early seemed to taper off as morning went on.

Out Early with "thirsty" and got one 10lb at the spit, saw lots of other nets out. Almost as many boats out there as the trap on a nice day.

Back