2017 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Did well again late this afternoon. Made it out by 530 went to Epsom, same thing as last night but no weeds. Fish right on bottom. Bait disappeared and it got a little choppy so I went to Bjerrie, flat calm, lots of bait, released a couple of low teens. In the slip by 8 to clean fish and the boat.

You coming up this way at all? Thing seem slower. where is Bjerrie?

It's 5 - 10 mins north of Epsom, next big under water reef heading to Powell. Basically starts at Pender Harbour and goes south all the way down to about Rock Water

Fished Epsom on Wednesday night, lots of bait. Picked up a nice 17lber. Lost a couple.
Fished Thursday afternoon, released 3 around 10lbs and a couple of shakers. Tons of bait everywhere.

Taking a buddy out Saturday... Never fished this area early September, going to try Epsom / Bjerrie thinking it might be a little scratchy as it's been quiet. Tough when it gets to be a terminal fishery and you're based out of Pender Harbour! Hopefully there are a few stragglers around.

Any reports lately?

Taking a buddy out Saturday... Never fished this area early September, going to try Epsom / Bjerrie thinking it might be a little scratchy as it's been quiet. Tough when it gets to be a terminal fishery and you're based out of Pender Harbour! Hopefully there are a few stragglers around.

Any reports lately?
I picked up one on Bjerre Saturday night but yes it has been painfully slow. Not sure where to go this coming weekend. Wondering if anything is happening around Lang bay.

I fished Epsom hard on Saturday, 1200-730. Released 1 coho, 1 juvenille spring and missed 1 hard pin popper but very slow. Bait was hanging around the north end of the shelf, and after my motivation to troll waned completely I switched to jigging and picked up a 9lb ling. Water was unreal tho, super nice afternoon on the water.

Attachments

• 20170826_184622.jpg
    20170826_184622.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 18
I fished Epsom hard on Saturday, 1200-730. Released 1 coho, 1 juvenille spring and missed 1 hard pin popper but very slow. Bait was hanging around the north end of the shelf, and after my motivation to troll waned completely I switched to jigging and picked up a 9lb ling. Water was unreal tho, super nice afternoon on the water.
I was in the same area at the same time. Awesome water. Poor fishing though. Think this weekend will have to head north.

Fished yesterday late afternoon. Started at Epsom and it was a deadzone patrol, no bait, no fish. Water conditions were perfect. Headed over to the south end of Bjerrie and dropped gear, picked up a 10lber, and then got into a nice one high teens. All fish on a 4" 602 tubby.

Attachments

• IMG_0600.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG
    358.7 KB · Views: 32
I was in the same area at the same time. Awesome water. Poor fishing though. Think this weekend will have to head north.
I was thinking of heading up to the Lang Bay area as well. I talked to some buddies up there and it's a couple weeks behind, not sure on how many fish will be around there.

We picked up a nice fish at Quarry on Saturday, it was getting dark, I'm wondering if it was a Lang Bay fish?

^ Jeez not to shabby eh! Nicely done.

I've only fished Lang to Scotch Fir Pt. once (Got skunked, lol). If the wind is favorable to make the run I'll be trying it Saturday AM... Tough call to make, but will see ya out there.

PS: Heard they've been catching those nasty escaped Atlantics from down south out as far as Sabine channel even.

^ Jeez not to shabby eh! Nicely done.

I've only fished Lang to Scotch Fir Pt. once (Got skunked, lol). If the wind is favorable to make the run I'll be trying it Saturday AM... Tough call to make, but will see ya out there.

PS: Heard they've been catching those nasty escaped Atlantics from down south out as far as Sabine channel even.
Yes 3 Atlantic fish caught up here. The natives here are not happy and I don't blame them. As for Lang I have heard too many times it's too early. I'm going to change my game plan.

Yes 3 Atlantic fish caught up here. The natives here are not happy and I don't blame them. As for Lang I have heard too many times it's too early. I'm going to change my game plan.
This little bit of rain could be the start of them stacking in Lang Bay.

^ Thought you were going to try something drastic! That's what it takes sometimes. It's TOUGH out there. Didn't see a net today! That's a hike up there, too bad.

Was at Epsom end of morning tide. Start of the flood, had an under on right away. And I think a legal long lined released by my rookie on the boat. Was at 125' with a trusty herring, 75-85 with my standard chovy. Both got fish then nothing!!! Other than that... Few shakers here and there, tried Upwood/Andersen bay, went back to Quarry... Nothing, no bait anywhere is our problem. It's just gone. Period.

Sure if I wasn't having a chill long weekend listening to tunes having some casual beers. I would've paid more attention. Then again, shouldn't have to!!! If I fish that hard, usually bag a limit or two. It's slow!!!

Couldn't even jig up a Linger at the end of the day... Hahaha

Put my nose to the grindstone this morning. Upgraded my sounder to a 7" Lowrance so really wanted to go give er a try. Launched at Secret Cove and went up to the shoal. Trolled for a few hours, lots of bait in shallow water, only a small ling to show for it (released). Decided to try and jig up a ling and started drifting along the bait, jigging with chovie jig. Boom, on the second drop the line goes slack so I start reeling like a mad *******. Few headshakes but nothing to crazy, then as it comes into view a big ole silver flash and shes peeling down. It wasn't until that second we both knew what was going on haha. Spring vs man. Ended up being an epic battle and a 14lb in the box. My first good salmon on the jig - it was pretty glorious. 3 drops later another fish is on, I cant believe it. Another good fight and another fish is on board, half a needle width under 12. Wow. Now I actually need a ling LOL. I throw my jig down again and low and behold another spring... a bit smaller, probably a whisker under 10, safely released.

Fish were mid way up the shoal from Bucaneers, hitting @ 60' in 90-105'. Edit: the 14 was literally packed with small 3-3.5" anchovies.

No love on the jig for springs for a few seasons, then 3 in 1 hour... that's fishin LOL.

Makes up for the last 4 or 5 trips of no springs, just lings tho. Good luck out there peeps.

Attachments

• 20170903_134056.jpg
    20170903_134056.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Back