2017 Pender Bluffs

My son and his girlfriend landed two springs, one at 14 1/2 and one at 9. Also landed 2 nice pinks, got everything down around 140.

Attachments

• IMG_4230.JPG
    IMG_4230.JPG
    391.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4233.JPG
    IMG_4233.JPG
    388.1 KB · Views: 87
Put the lines down at 11 in front of Thieves Bay. Landed a #15 unclipped spring at 11:30. 140', white hootchie and white glow flasher. No other hits and left at 2pm.

Fished 2-6
1 wild coho 145 green durabait green flasher
1 undersized spring 100' red flash red hoochie
2 hits on a purple haze flasher green spoon 140'

No keepers today

Anybody out having any luck?
I went out Tuesday about 11-ish, but just missed the bite after a rookie tied the ramp up forever. As I arrived I got to watch some Americans land a nice one, and a few others play with little stuff, but then nothing. Finallly around 3:30 I started marking lots of fish moving through in the deep at 200'-250', and I hooked into a 60cm. After I put him back, I tried going a little deeper, and......lost my heavy ball! Apparently the line wasn't tied to the spool. D'oh!
My son & I tried again yesterday between 3-7:30pm (after getting, and rigging new gear), but no love. We found the deep schools again, but could not entice them to hit anything. We also tried hugging tight and shallow, but in the end only 1 undersized.

I am trying to decide where to go this weekend - is it too late in the season for the Bluffs area now?
Dropped lines at 3pm and immediately had something big on, a couple of runs later I had a broken leader. No idea what it was but I am going with a large dogfish hooked on it back or s seal grabbed a fish. Other than that a couple of undersized springs. Never saw a net out and pod came in around 6pm

Fished yesterday afternoon and this morning with 3 tiny shakers and a pin popper that didn't stick. Didn't see any nets out but one guy said he got one

After weeks of nothing but shakers, finally got reward yesterday at about 8am... 18lb 3oz @ 150ft on downrigger, 275ft water, coyote spoon (green - sorry can't remember the name) and Super Betsy. Two more pin poppers within the hour, but no joy - I'm still learning to keep them hooked!

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    307.4 KB · Views: 57
We rented a cottage above what I think are the pender bluffs and I've been watching the boats all weekend.

Attachments

• 20170910_085342.jpg
    20170910_085342.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 79
I saw the picture it was on social media. Guide posted it.
I see Island outfitters has posted a 34.5 from the bluffs on their site. Wonder if that's the same one or if a 40 plus a 34.5 were caught?

Just got in from the maiden voyage since I redid the floor and stringers in my boat.The bluffs were really slow today.Had the lines in by 8:00 AM and fished till 4:00PM.Let 1 wild coho about 10 lbs go and took a 7 lb. hatchery home and that was it for bites all day.Talked to several people and most had nothing.Lots of bait on the sounder but very few fish caught and no springs that I saw anyways.Going to give it another try on the weekend and see if we can yard a nice white spring out of there for the smoker.
Sure nice to be back on the water again though!

I got to the Bluffs in time to see the whales cleaning it out. (7-ish) Stubbornly, I tried everything I had an in the hopes that the whales had been seal eaters,.....they weren't.
Once the morning flood was done, I trolled down south, pulled, and went for a break at Poets.
After re-energizing with some food and drink, I went back out with the hopes that the afternoon flood would replenish the stocks. And at about 3:30-4, at 100' with Bon Chovy and Bloody Nose I scored a 15 lb white. After that rod went off a couple more times (undersized) I switched the deep rod (150') to the the same setup, and a few minutes later (5pm-ish) it went off with a 12.5 lb marbled. Thankfully, even though it had wrapped around my other downrigger, I managed to save it. Yaaah!2 Whites Marbles Sept 2017.jpg

Back