2017 Pender Bluffs

Out with the kids after a couple of evening skunks. Released a nice wild coho and a bunch of undersized springs. Kept two pinks.
Flat calm and sunny

Is it crazy busy over there?

Out with the kids after a couple of evening skunks. Released a nice wild coho and a bunch of undersized springs. Kept two pinks.
Flat calm and sunny
I had to drop lines to 150 feet to stop catching undersized . Anchovies to expensive for that as well as possibly killing small ones.

Yes, checked my lines multiple times to find miniature springs that I couldn't tell were there.

Did you find the bigger one down low?

Yes, checked my lines multiple times to find miniature springs that I couldn't tell were there.

Did you find the bigger one down low?
Yes, 150 feet down going with current. I use 20lb balls as well. Saying that I still caught a few unders. Went through 20 chovies even re-used them after bites.

Hit this fish yesterday on a spoon, 17.5 lbs on my rusty scale I give it 18... fought like a 20+. Had another good fish on and some guy in a red Reinll boat ran over my line and hooked me up ending in a tangle and no more fish. hope people can get a little smarter and stay farther away from people with fish on lots of room out there if you are aware. slots of shakers and a few small pinks,

Cheers tight lines

Attachments

• IMG_6407.JPG
    IMG_6407.JPG
    426 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: JDM
Agreed, lots of room but I swear some people purposely come at you in hopes of tangling or screwing you up. I fished the evening and bagged a 15lb red , depth , speed, direction , all playing a big part.

Attachments

• IMG_2775.JPG
    IMG_2775.JPG
    325.9 KB · Views: 33
Out last night and this morning. We had a double header last night with 2 around 15lbs. A few undersize released. This morning we got another 2 about 15 lbs first thing in the morning, then one more around 10 lbs just before tide change. One other guy I talked to had a 25lb and an 8lb hatch coho this morning before 9. Very busy there this morning.

How deep if you don't mind me asking?
I got a nice 15 this morning and lot of bites, undersized . I was unable to fish my regular spots with all the boats. Try from 115-150 depth, any shallower and you will get small ones.

Maybe this is the wrong part of the forum to ask, but...do pinks ever have anything that remotely resembles teeth on their tongues? I caught a fish the ther day, that seemed to me to be a pink. Oval spots on the tail etc, no silver to speak of in the tail, but it had a few small teeth like ridges on its tongue. What are the best ways to determine a pink without the hump. I hate tossing fish back, because I'm not sure. I'm a former flatlander and relatively new at the species identification game. If I look at what some folks bring in claiming they're pinks.... it just confuses me even more. I've printed out info from Fisheries Canada, but it still drives me nuts trying to determine what some fish are. Life would be simpler if all I caught was 20lb springs, but that's not working out.

BTW, a fellow came in this morning with a blue ling cod. Didn't know there was such a thing.

Feeling the fish's tongue before deciding whether or not to release it may not be the best way. They have oval spots, especially on tail, tiny scales that fall off easily, and they have a distinctive manner near the boat. They love to go crazy on the deck, leaving a mess of blood, scales and slime. You will learn over time. Before they near the rivers the bright white sides and the colour of the back is quite different than chinooks. Some people keep small springs thinking they are pinks; don't be one of those.

Feeling the fish's tongue before deciding whether or not to release it may not be the best way. They have oval spots, especially on tail, tiny scales that fall off easily, and they have a distinctive manner near the boat. They love to go crazy on the deck, leaving a mess of blood, scales and slime. You will learn over time. Before they near the rivers the bright white sides and the colour of the back is quite different than chinooks. Some people keep small springs thinking they are pinks; don't be one of those.

When you put it that way, it does sound a little odd. I'm trying hard not to be one of those people who don't care or are blissfully ignorant of the rules. The fish in question meets the criteria with regards to oval spots on the tail, scales that fall off and the blood/slime/mess, and fuss... however, somewhere if I'm not mistaken, on the Fisheries website, it states that Pinks don't have teeth on their tongues and in my uneducated opinion this one did, so I didn't keep it. It looked as though it was an escapee from a commercial net, had lots of lice and maybe had a few rounds with fluffy. I did take a couple of pictures, but won't be able to post them until I get home. Based on my understanding, if it has teeth on it's tongue, it ain't a Pink. Is this true? Maybe I need to go back a trudge through their website. Thanks for your input.

Thursday afternoon landed a 19lb at 3.30pm just north of the southern poo mark in 160ft at 90ft on a Barbie pink hootchi then at 5.00pm at the exact same spot landed a 22lb at 110ft on a pink and purple hootchi. Then this morning lost one and 4 undersize then a 9lb. Packed up about 3.

Hit this fish yesterday on a spoon, 17.5 lbs on my rusty scale I give it 18... fought like a 20+. Had another good fish on and some guy in a red Reinll boat ran over my line and hooked me up ending in a tangle and no more fish. hope people can get a little smarter and stay farther away from people with fish on lots of room out there if you are aware. slots of shakers and a few small pinks,

Cheers tight lines

This year has been bruuuuutal. I've lost 4 full sets of gear because people decide to just turn and cut right behind the boat

This year has been bruuuuutal. I've lost 4 full sets of gear because people decide to just turn and cut right behind the boat
Perhaps the moderators of the forum could put a sticky about trolling etiquette. And include for starters that the boat in shallower depths has right of way and shall not be impeded. The times I have had to raise my balls because I am pushed on to the rocks. And yours, when turning, never in front and at least 75 meters behind...................not that idiots could read a sticky anyway!
I saw several floating dead fish, more than 45cms, (so the seals must have eaten as much as they could), where is the sense in this Fisheries? Just round the corner in the strait 45cms is legal but here we have to put them back to die so folks can catch some more and do the same thing. Unfathomable!

For starters a lot of people on Pender drink a lot, they don't care. I notice they keep undersized spring and don't pinch barbs. There is no fear as DFO never comes here, not saying everyone is guilty but more than you would think.

Back