2017 Pender Bluffs

Was out this afternoon and skunked again, tons of boats and saw a whale watch boat. I have heard lots of stories about other areas but not seen fish. I remember one year at Quadra Island it was completely dead for a solid week. My uncle managed about a 5lb coho on herring strip, when he went to the marina for fuel the guys asked him what he caught it on and he told them a green flash tail . We heard from the same guys at marina that a guy had limited out on green flash tail all 10-15lb coho. We took the ferry to Campbell River and the sporting goods store was completely sold out and the guy explained everyone on Quadra was limiting out on them. We spoke to my uncle later that night and put it all together.

The reality of our salmon stocks is that there are fewer fish, everywhere.
Fewer baitfish,less krill, less krill food etc.

It is a global problem.

I heard a boat got 4 a few days ago, my buddy saw the fish at the cleaning table. I'm giving Bluffs a try in the morning and will report.

I was out there this morning for a few hours and folks I know we're out there at the same time.... I got to feed something a couple of anchovies, but that it. They got a few pinks. Apparently I don't have a clue what I'm doing. Might see you out there tomorrow.

See yah out there black max were also giving an effort tomorrow
I didn't make it till this evening, was down 130 feet then started climbing but no hits. Decided to try 5o feet and nailed 4 pinks in 15 minutes. I killed a 8 lb female that should feed us and neighbours tomorrow on BBQ. Never saw a spring , was followed by seals constantly as soon as I reeled in the first pink. Doubt I would stand a chance getting a spring in. Hope to try again in the morning.

I didn't make it till this evening, was down 130 feet then started climbing but no hits. Decided to try 5o feet and nailed 4 pinks in 15 minutes. I killed a 8 lb female that should feed us and neighbours tomorrow on BBQ. Never saw a spring , was followed by seals constantly as soon as I reeled in the first pink. Doubt I would stand a chance getting a spring in. Hope to try again in the morning.
Hey BMax, what were you dragging? Chovies, spoons or hootchies?

I haven't had any luck on the surface, but then I haven't had luck anywhere. Finally got one today at about 75' on a pink hootchy. Several other boats had the nets out, not big numbers of fish, but at least there is hope you can get to fire up the smoker.

I'm a little late replying to the doom and gloom posts from July, but do you guys think that a good chunk of the springs are coming down the inside instead of the outside? Seems like the northern gulf of Georgia fishery has been way stronger in the last 5 years than it was in the 10 years prior? Sounds like guys are hammering them up at Powell River now and have been for most of the season. More humpbacks feeding on the inside than I ever remember. Don't get me wrong, I'm as worried as anyone about the state of our salmon, but I'm hopping it's not as bad as some are saying.... thoughts?

I fished with s couple of other boats well away from the pack starting at 6 am. I hooked 5 decent springs , lost 2 to seals and another 2 broke leaders beside the boat.Managed an 18 lb red which is delicious. Went out tonite and got 3 pinks. Because it's only producing in the morning at certain tide on bait tells me there are really small numbers.

Ah! Blackmax now I know who you are. I was the guy who spoke to you and saw you play the 18 lber, I have the Trophy boat. blue canvas with no name, fishing solo.

Arrived on Thursday and fished the evening, nothing. Slept over in Bedwell.

Friday, 5.30am
I am ashamed to say I hooked 4 lost 4, all at 90-110 feet. The first came up with the ball no idea it was on then popped at the surface went absolutely berserk and shook the hook or it ripped out, not sure what it was looked about 5 lb but had serious attitude, lol, That one could have hit when the ball was coming up when I think about it, 2nd lost near the boat, 3rd was a solid fish but spat the hook after a few minutes, 4th another solid fish bit through leader.

So I went home on the way picked up my traps, zip, zero, nada, zilch................anyone want to buy a boat!

Back