2017 Pender Bluffs

I am missing the Bluffs already. Gone camping for 3 weeks in the interior, Kimberley at the mo and its very smokey here, enough to smoke fish I think.
Tight lines guys, but save some for me!

Out early this morning. Lots of little guys stealing my anchovies. Lost one fish at the boat. If it was a spring, then it was too small anyway. Finally around 8:30-9 got a spring that was just over 12 lbs. Nice looking fish. Flesh colour varied and was quite a bit lighter than I'm used to. Never caught a white one. When cleaning it, I did notice a few parasites. Very thin (thread like), almost opaque worms, probably a little less than an inch long. Never seen them before, but assume I've just never noticed them. They would be easy to miss. Not that anyone likely wants to think about them... but are they common? Guess that why they freeze fish before its used for sushi.

Out early this morning. Lots of little guys stealing my anchovies. Lost one fish at the boat. If it was a spring, then it was too small anyway. Finally around 8:30-9 got a spring that was just over 12 lbs. Nice looking fish. Flesh colour varied and was quite a bit lighter than I'm used to. Never caught a white one. When cleaning it, I did notice a few parasites. Very thin (thread like), almost opaque worms, probably a little less than an inch long. Never seen them before, but assume I've just never noticed them. They would be easy to miss. Not that anyone likely wants to think about them... but are they common? Guess that why they freeze fish before its used for sushi.
My guess is once the rain hits it will be tough fishing. I spoke to one local that said he caught coho last year right up to Dec.

Fished 7-12 Friday. Caught 4 wild cohos that got to swim another day and a bunch of small fish. Went home with an empty fish tub and smiles.

Fished Friday afternoon from 1-4, just a few shakers. Saw a couple of nets out and some small fish taken (coho?)but overall pretty quiet.

Interesting day off of Pender today. Fished the bluffs this today from about 8 - 1 p.m. Released an undersize Spring. Shortly thereafter I got sealed right at the boat -looked to be about a 10 pound Spring. Then caught an Atlantic Salmon that I originally thought was an undersize Spring. Was about to release it when I realized it had black spots on the head and gill plate.

Did an afternoon fish off the bluffs today from 2:30-6:30 One smaller spring about 3 lbs. that we let go and a 6-7 lb. wild coho that also got to swim.Very slow out there with us not seeing a net out the whole time we were there.We'll see if this rain we got coming will move a few more fish through before it's over.

Did an afternoon fish off the bluffs today from 2:30-6:30 One smaller spring about 3 lbs. that we let go and a 6-7 lb. wild coho that also got to swim.Very slow out there with us not seeing a net out the whole time we were there.We'll see if this rain we got coming will move a few more fish through before it's over.
Fished from 2 to 6 today and a whole bunch of shakers and a decent one that didn't stick. As usual gorgeous afternoon.

Fished Tuesday from 1230-1830 all along the bluffs. One spring released just under the slot and then lost a decent one after a minute battle. Nothing else but some shakers, flat waters and some rain. About 5 other boats fishing but didn't see any fish caught.

Fished Friday morning from 7-1230. Had a solid hit that popped the pin but didn't stick and other than that, well a great day to be on the water. Didn't see any nets out.

Tried the bluffs yesterday was surprised by the lack of boats. At best, maybe half a dozen. Beautiful day, tons of bait and a Grey whale visit. Very little action but finally got a hit and brought in an 18lb white Spring. No sign of Coho?

Tried the bluffs yesterday was surprised by the lack of boats. At best, maybe half a dozen. Beautiful day, tons of bait and a Grey whale visit. Very little action but finally got a hit and brought in an 18lb white Spring. No sign of Coho?
Congrats on the spring! I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow morning . Have heard of a few coho as well as spring.

Got out for a few hours and got a hit at 9 that didn't stick.Half hour later got a nice 12lb red spring.

Mind me asking how deep and what you were using? Thinking I'll try and give it a go Saturday if the weather cooperates.

Spoke with some of the other locals. Sounds like it's been slow out there. ... Other than one fellow said (last week sometime) that he has never seen so many orcas in one spot.

Mind me asking how deep and what you were using? Thinking I'll try and give it a go Saturday if the weather cooperates.

Spoke with some of the other locals. Sounds like it's been slow out there. ... Other than one fellow said (last week sometime) that he has never seen so many orcas in one spot.
I was at 120 feet with a chovie, it's slim pickings for sure.

What is Bedwell like for crabbing. any good spots in there? Thinking about the bluffs later today or tomorrow, Sansum and Satellite are still closed until 15 October I think?

Heard there were a bunch of coho caught yesterday , I went out at 3pm and as soon as I dropped first line I got one on. Nice 7or 8lb wild. I was pretty excited but never got another hit till sunset . I have a feeling the bite was earlier on rising tide. Got it on a green splatter back hootchie at 70 feet.

Arrived at 2pm Monday only 6 boats there, 2.30 landed a 9lb hatch then went quiet, at 5pm I was only boat left , lost one, then released a nice wild then boated a 8lb hatch. Fished this morning from 7am at 7.30 lost one then nothing until 3pm. lost that one too, and another then landed 2 hatches 5lb last one at 4.30 so had my quota and went home. Only 5 boats all day. I was as far south as you go when I left so Blackmax you must have been one of the two boats I saw when I left you were at the north end right?
at various depths 30, 70,12o and 180 believe it or not all hootchies pink, white, pink/purple, tried coco killer without success. Got two crabs in Bedwell.

Fished yesterday from 11-3 with not a sniff. Two or three other boats out there and never saw anyone bring out a net. Pretty slow as far as coho go I guess, overall not a banner year.

Back