2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Hey buddy, this thread is for arguing about stupid **** not for reports. ;)

Kidding obviously. Nice work!

well in that case, let me tell you about the american A hole that thinks that passing a small fishing boat less than 30 feet away (i was on his stb side, had the right of way) in his 60ft boat, doing 30mph and swamping my back deck..... after you ignored my 5 blasts on the air horn, i had to resort to signaling you with a 2 lb hali ball... yes that resounding thump was me. id like my weight back please

im completely flabbergasted at the disregard for others some people have

well in that case, let me tell you about the american A hole that thinks that passing a small fishing boat less than 30 feet away (i was on his stb side, had the right of way) in his 60ft boat, doing 30mph and swamping my back deck..... after you ignored my 5 blasts on the air horn, i had to resort to signaling you with a 2 lb hali ball... yes that resounding thump was me. id like my weight back please

We had this exact same experience off Epsom Point...one yachtie called the "Integrity" of all things, they blazed right through the fleet like the 2 ounces of diesel it would have taken not to leave the fleet heaving about with 8' wakes, total clowns. Our 26' Hourston with all that freeboard hadmbe concerned. Lots of these guys are heading downhill back to the States over the next while so expect more of the same...sorry for the rant but this struck a nerve.

I saw him too out there couldn't believe it...heard your horn blasts. Glad u got him with the ball, but it sure didn't slow him down. Zero respect. Anyway we boxed a nice 20lb fish today so not all bad for a late start.

The Americans in the big boats come much too close to the pack here at Pender Bluffs, they are complete jack asses. I've seen them at the docks and are typical loud mouths with kids that act like arangatangs. They typically don't even have the respect to fly Canadian flag either, jerks.

You're my hero for tossing some lead at him. What a douche. I have dreams of boarding one of these clowns and giving them some pirate justice, but alas we live in a civilized society. Can you imagine how satisfying it would be to renovate his cockpit with your gaff? Not saying I would ever act on these impulses.

The Americans in the big boats come much too close to the pack here at Pender Bluffs, they are complete jack asses. I've seen them at the docks and are typical loud mouths with kids that act like arangatangs. They typically don't even have the respect to fly Canadian flag either, jerks.
Do we even want them flying a CDN flag? :eek: On a side note, the chinook are thick on the West Side of the Gwaii, headed your way, and a very nice size average. The coho aren't nearly as abundant right now as they usually are. Having to target them vs the standard late August situation of having to "get past them"(running big gear deep and bombing it down). Can't wait for some sunshine and local fishing. :rolleyes:

Fished from porteau cove down to hitw yesterday had the same thing going on the rods as gator. Did lose something that broke my 30lb leader that had big head shakes, released a ling, had a couple other hits that didn't stick. Greatday out there and the boat ran great, finally got her dialed in!

I had such a positive experience at the derby this weekend. Was in second place for a while on Saturday with a 16 something which was quickly knocked, but nonetheless, hooked Into a ton of fish, ate great food, met lots of super cool local anglers, and all in all, had an unforgettable experience.
Me and my buddies were originally hesitant, mainly because we didn't know if $300 each was worth it, but in the end, it forced us to go fishing Saturday, which we wouldn't have done after looking at the forecast. Well Saturday turned out to be one of our best days locally ever, until today. Was ganagbusters for about an hour and a half at one point.
Lots of New experiences. One thing I found particularly awesome was when 4 PM rolled around a fleet of 50+ boats would storm towards the north arm and head up the river together as if headed out to war. Pretty cool to be part of the fleet!
Will be going back next year for sure.

Agreed this year was top notch. Couldn't believe the dinner they supplied the saturdy night , ate ourselves sick on clams , mussels, crab , oysters , prawns ect, the new covered deck at pacific gateway is spectacular also. Fishing was steady all weekend for us from Iona - sandheads on nice sized fish but no placing fish.

On another note if anyone manages to hook an iPhone 7 in a lifeproof case off the green can at sand heads let me know!

After hearing all the positive feedback from the derby think I'll be entering next year. Sounds like the food is fantastic. Listened both days on the radio while I was out there and man there was a ton of fish caught Saturday.

Another vote for a great derby and the timing was perfect this year with the fish showing up. Everyone had a good story to tell between the gnarly run out the North Arm in the morning, great fishing and fantastic meals.

We had an eventful two days. Was briefly on the leaderboard Sat morning with a 17 lb fish, snapped off a downrigger ball/dummy flasher/release clip through overzealous use of the green button (my fault, but redeemed myself by having the presence of mind at 4:30 am to throw my crimps and pliers in my gear bag "just in case"), one seal that did a hard 180 and came up right behind the boat wrapping the mono in the prop which had me dangling precariously between the motors in some bumpy conditions. Landed two other low teens and a couple pinks. That was just Saturday...

Sunday started off by getting hung up on one of the commercial crab traps despite giving it a wide berth (saw a guide boat later on the same one - a little less line rope or a heavier weight is needed on the first one north of the green can), got an low teener, lots of dogfish. Got sealed again by a big ******* that had us chasing him through the pack, but eventually broke off after getting well into the backing. Fried the clicker on my reel, but may just leave it like that until winter to keep the seals away... Shout out to those with their heads up who gave us some room in the crowd (looking at you @fishin solo and the other boats I didn't recognize). At one point was snagged on both lines from the M&P boat who did a great job to help us get free while anther boat came in between us just as they landed a fish. Stayed out an extra hour as the bite was on. Some nice fish around - boat beside us got a "derby winner" 30 minutes after the bell rang and heard someone on the radio claim they landed a 40 just before we left.

And for the fishing report, we had all our action on bait between 55 and 75 ft.

Back