2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Thanks.

I don't mind the rough weather crushing somewhere, but don't enjoy trolling for hours on end with ****** conditions.

Anyone know if McDonald boat launch is free of ice and how about the bay is the water frozen? Heading out tommorow for some winter springs.

Thanks
Should be good to go, Richmond doesn't really have much left for snow. The bay won't be frozen. Always worth bringing a bag of sand/salt/or a shovel with you in event of slippery ramp at this time of year though.

3-4 inches of ice at Milltown this morning. Saw one guy play ice breaker with a brand new merryfisher, not my cup of tea, thanks. Looks like all the Ladner marinas are icebound as well... Ready for some warmer weather!

Absolutely stunning morning at Tunstall ... more than makes up for only having hit 2 undersized so far. The run along the south end of Bowen was spectacular ... sun shining on the houses and the water was like glass!

We were out at Tunstall Sat morning as well - couldn't agree more on the weather is was gorgeous - flat seas and the sun was shining. We hooked one undersized in a few hours of fishing. There were 5-6 boats in the bay but didn't see anyone land anything of size. The diesel heater sure kept us warm - despite the sunny conditions it was cold !

Anyone been out over the last couple of days? Today looked nice but I was working. I'll be out tomorrow though. Probably fish south Bowen again

I may head out for a couple hours first thing in the morning and will likely stay in the harbour and see if I can find one among the freighters. Likewise, I am curious about any reports from the past couple days.

Lose weight now; ask me how!
I've been laid up on the norodiet for past two weeks. Upside: lost 10 pounds. Downside: haven't been out. I'm sure all is well in the sound though. Lots of reasonably priced spoons and flashers at the boat show FYI. Good place to load up.

Looking for advice. When trolling alone for winter springs, with 2 rods stacked on the downrigger, if you get a fish on do you keep your boat in gear while playing it, or into neutral? What about the othet line and the downrigger?

I leave the boat in gear while fishing alone, learned years ago that stacking during the winter doesn't produce more fish. Typically leave the other rod down and try to get the one rigger up and out of the way. Personally the more time spent with gear on the bottom is time better spent than trying to keep multiple rods fishing. Less stressful and able to spend more attention to my 2 rods, boat speed, bouncing bottom and baitfish on sounder. Typically start stacking rods when the fish become suspended in the water column.

When trolling solo and I hit a fish I, Make sure I'm well connected to the fish then bring up that rigger, then I bring the other rigger up 10' or so and leave it out (a little safety zone from bottom snags while playing the fish), I like to keep the boat direction favoring to side I hit the fish on if possible (reducing the chance of crossing the side that's still fishing), If I get the chance I will put rod with fish in rigger rod holder and swivel it to front of boat quickly as it keeps tension on the fish while getting the rigger out of my way. Once all that's done its just a case of one eye on other boats and the other eye on rod while waiting for fish to tire...

Back