2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

My social media is blowing up with hero pics must be lots out their...

December to remember so far. If this keeps up... minds will be blown.

Just when I think it can't get any better...it does.... when I look at the number of fish taken in the last 5 days locally....it accounts for more fish taken some years from September to January the following year.

Spent a couple hours in the harbour this am (seemed like I had the place to myself) - found a little spot that was a lot of fun - in the span of about an hour, had 2 or 3 shakers, 2 "almost to the boat", 2 "if I stretched them out a few cm would be legal", and one nice red keeper. The good news is the shakers are getting to be a reasonable size, and make themselves known (vs dragging them around on the clip for 1/2 hr) and release better.
With the big tides we've been having, lots of Botanical Bits in the water, so pay attention on the way in/out.

Attachments

• 20171204_111343.jpg
    20171204_111343.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 56
Al
Yeah I had 5lb kettlebells zapstrapped on, plus the traps I have are pretty massive. I have around 400ft of line, and dropped them in ~300ft (would have liked more line of course, but it's what I had..) ! I confirmed the location of them at the end of the day Saturday on my way home, but came back Sunday ~3pm and they were not there.
Almost 13ft swing from 3:30pm till 10:40pm saturday night. Not enough weight I think for that area especially if something got caught on your float like kevind suggested.

Lost a couple prawn traps today not too far off cowan (closer to the sponge reef closure) . They have double buoys on them and I believe they're underwater and not stolen (given that I found my other set). Name on the buoys is Darius if anyone happens to see them. Reward if found :).

Last edited:
Lost a couple prawn traps today not too far off cowan (closer to the sponge reef closure) . They have double boys on them and I believe they're underwater and not stolen (given that I found my other set). Name on the buoys is Darius if anyone happens to see them. Reward if found :).
One time I lost a buoy just under the surface because my line got tangled so I dropped two cannons on the down riggers with a rope between them and just trolled around. Amazingly it worked :D

One time I lost a buoy just under the surface because my line got tangled so I dropped two cannons on the down riggers with a rope between them and just trolled around. Amazingly it worked :D
Great idea, I'll try it tomorrow, thanks!!

1 shaker, pretty dead. Anyone else out on the water and found bait balls?

Guess the fog kept the timid or wise away.

2 unders and Ended up boxing 3 beauts. Stick and stay, made it pay. 140’ no bananas flasher, chartreuse splatter back spoon. The porpoises following us half of the day were an interesting addition.

Close encounters in the fog on the way home. Stay safe out there. Dead heads everywhere.

Attachments

• 40990A30-EF08-44CD-816E-AC178BF7B4F3.jpeg
    40990A30-EF08-44CD-816E-AC178BF7B4F3.jpeg
    652.7 KB · Views: 129
Got a better question for u... how many under size fish do u get when u deem its the right season to fish??? Not sure why some of you feel that its so bad for a few people who enjoy the winter fishery...and it does seem to be a few good ones around this year..which is great.... DFO does not seem concerned at this time that it has a large impact of the fish... I personal put my tub away for the winter ...I get enough time on the water in the summer.. I'm happy to hear people are out and enjoying the winter splendor that is available...I use to fish steelhead all winter as that was my choice of fisheries....

Last edited:
Got a better question for u... how many under size fish do u get when u deem its the right season to fish??? Not sure why some of you feel that its so bad for a few people who enjoy the winter fishery...and it does seem to be a few good ones around this year..which is great.... DFO does seem concerned at this time that it has a large impact of the fish... I personal put my tub away for the winter ...I get enough time on the water in the summer.. I'm happy to hear people are out and enjoying the winter splendor that is available...I use to fish steelhead all winter as that was my choice of fisheries....
Was just going to say the same thing. Give it a rest guys. 50 boats fishing a dozen times each all winter isn't doing a thing.

Back