2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I put a Camp Chef Oven in my homebuilt boat the Willow-Bee. Keeps her toasty warm and cooks food as well! Think it was only $350.00 compared to a grand plus for a "boat stove" and works like a charm, low propane usage, no gas leak or CO2 issues, sides don't get that hot, and have been using for couple years now, no issues at all. Was bit worried using a "camping oven" in a boat, but turned out to be worried for nothing, been as safe and reliable as I could hope for, and saved a crap-load of money.

Cooks great, just to left of my grandson holding a prawn by the whisker:
8b23ff6036.jpg

I was out in the harbour for a couple hours yesterday - while nothing "bonkable" - was actually frustrating dealing with the shakers - was using a coyote spoon and I had 4 or 5 nice healthy ones latch on - only problem was they were averaging ~12-15" - must be hungry :)
Actually joking aside was a bit frustrating as they were just small enough to not be able to trip the rigger clip, or make much vibration, so had to check the gear quite often, and was probably dragging one or two of them for a bay tour.

I was out in the harbour for a couple hours yesterday - while nothing "bonkable" - was actually frustrating dealing with the shakers - was using a coyote spoon and I had 4 or 5 nice healthy ones latch on - only problem was they were averaging ~12-15" - must be hungry :)
Actually joking aside was a bit frustrating as they were just small enough to not be able to trip the rigger clip, or make much vibration, so had to check the gear quite often, and was probably dragging one or two of them for a bay tour.

I always think about these little guys when I’ve had waaay too much to drink. Poor fellas. Even worse when they are unicorned and likely not going to recover.

The nursery is a challenging place to fish. When you fish it you can’t use small spoons and you have to employ selective techniques. Best thing to do is avoid the area. The nursery moves around depending on the tides and the week.
Tunstall is also a nursery so you have to Be careful there too.

Fished Tunstall today for 2.5 hrs, 3 of us in there, saw one landed. Just one whack for us on hoochie in the mud. Handful of prawns for dinner at least. Wasnt too stoked on my set. Beauty day out there though. Was down to a tshirt for a bit in my center console.
Thats really good news. I don't want to put the ship away yet and not too keen on catching black fish. Thanks for the report!!

Thats really good news. I don't want to put the ship away yet and not too keen on catching black fish. Thanks for the report!!
There's definitely some winters around on the West Side... Marking lots of bait and was really hungover so the effort was real low. Sounded like the 24' Wolf nailed a 2nd one while we were in there too but I prefer not to report things I don't see. Regardless, if the weathers good, nows the time to try some new prawn sets and go for a few tacks in that late October sun! Won't last forever!

There's definitely some winters around on the West Side... Marking lots of bait and was really hungover so the effort was real low. Sounded like the 24' Wolf nailed a 2nd one while we were in there too but I prefer not to report things I don't see. Regardless, if the weathers good, nows the time to try some new prawn sets and go for a few tacks in that late October sun! Won't last forever!

They ended up with three nice legals, heading out on their rig tomorrow will post back

Sweet sweet **** all today at all the local haunts, had one fish to the gaff that was borderline on a small tomic 602 that we shook off. 110 prawns and 10 keeper dungies softened the blow . Beauty day to boot

There's was a commercial gill net opening for 11 hrs on Tuesday and today aswell... so there's fish to be caught dogs for sure not sure how many coho

A8D8045A-F0DC-4B70-8E87-7FD778F200E8.jpeg Went for a boat ride to Saltspring early this a.m. Amazing the amount of gull, bait and seal activity off the North Arm this morning, at various points crossing the strait and at Porlier ... would have stopped to fish but I needed to get a few things done, then get into the last Island Saturday market of the season and then turn around and come back in the afternoon. Ended up dropping the lines outside Porlier mid afternoon on the way back and did one quick pass thru a lot of bait and sea life and hit two keeper winter spring in short order, one just large enough and the other one was a little better and fought a lot larger than he was. Both on Skinny G’s on bottom and both were brilliant red springs. Really looking forward to this winter season if this was an early indication of what’s to come.

Nice fish. Was going to drop the prawn traps off tent tomorrow and maybe do a few laps for winter springs. It looks like it might be worth a run to porlier though. We're u up close to the pass or further south

Back