2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

First trip of the year...easy launch...started fishing at 11 near SanCarlos...had first 10 liber in the boat by noon...fishing rockfish imimitation hootchie, yellow belly and glow green splatterback.Fish were stuffed with Juvenile rockfish. Also my son Nik was out meeting Cam at Critter as he is starting out as Dock Boy...Everyone was catching fish inside...friend Randy got a 25 lb. chinook
Just wondering where you launched and what were the launch fees if any?

Does anyone have any idea whether those pink pyrosomes will stick around all summer or whether they will "migrate" away?

We are going to give it a try on the Esperanza side this year. How is the Tahsis Boat launch? My boat takes a bit of water to launch nicely. I have used the one at Moutcha Bay, but it usually means slamming on the brakes to get the boat off the trailer.

It's basically flat. Low tide is not your friend. Stay to the seaplane side, gets deeper there. It we can do a 30' anyone can lol

It's basically flat. Low tide is not your friend. Stay to the seaplane side, gets deeper there. It we can do a 30' anyone can lol
thanks bones.
Is the seaplane ramp part of the regular ramp or a separate site

thanks bones.
Is the seaplane ramp part of the regular ramp or a separate site

There is not a seaplane ramp. One ramp only. What he means is stick to the side of the river where the plane dock is. ( same side as the old mill site )You also have to be careful as there are a couple of large boulders just before the plane ramp. Ask me how I know...... Just do your self a favour and launch in higher water. Then all problems are avoided

It's the ramp, they call it a boat launch. Years ago I think it was seaplane ramp. The seaplane dock is beside the ramp so makes sense. We people say your gonna get your tires wet.... They mean your front ones. Just launch before low and drive off the launch into the gravel on the seaplane side. We've done it many times with a 24' trophy and 30' GW. Fyi no fish in esperenza its terrible there.

I only mention this as most people show up in morning and its low tide, then back down the middle.

I would be very hesitant to tow my boat again (I've done it as a result of a breakdown in Tahsis) to Tahsis rather than launching in Gold River and running from there. Somewhat more expensive for launch and parking, admittedly, but way easier on the equipment than the road.

fish brain wants to launch in Tahsis and fish esperanza.......... so i'm talking about tahsis boat launch. its not near a river.
its 17 miles to center island from tahsis.
its 50 miles from center island to gold river
the road to tahsis is 62 kms which 2/3rds is paved.
and then there's the evening boat ride down muchalat inlet to battle as well
if your only fishing nootka then.....but if fishing in esperanza then things to consider

Im pretty sure that the Thasis Marina makes some pretty good money fixing boat trailers each summer.Ive towed it in once I have a 24 grady and I wouldn't do it for ll the tea in china again.Depending if the road is in good condition there is some heavy washboard and not to mention 2 hours of cleaning plus if it rained the road is like gumbo mud sticks everywhere.My theory is a boat belongs in the water so I put it there and run it you could be in thesis in an 1 1/2 hour depending how fast you travel.I fished Bamfeild for 20 years very similar situations and found out the hard way so I always put it in the drink... Im going up next thursday so Ill let you know how the road is,well my friends will tell me as Ill be in the water cruising and having a cold one.

Tight lines
Billydoo

Oh heres a question Ive been told that the salmon seem to be full of small canary rock fish so does any one have a favourite hootchie that they love when there on this type of feed ??
It was the same ;last year a huge bloom of the rockfish and the salmon were stuffed.

Tight lines
Billydoo

Unless things have drastically changed in the 3 weeks since we drove the Tahsis road....it is in really good shape (I've driven it 4 times in the last 5 years and it's best I've seen) and way better than anytime that we've seen the cougar creek road. There was an active grading crew and they were doing a great job. No washboard at that point. The launch at Tahsis is a super easy launch with a big wide and long ramp and I would think that even a 30' boat would be fine. The dock is not connected to the ramp section but it's about 100' away to tie up and get ready.

Oh heres a question Ive been told that the salmon seem to be full of small canary rock fish so does any one have a favourite hootchie that they love when there on this type of feed ??
It was the same ;last year a huge bloom of the rockfish and the salmon were stuffed.

Tight lines
Billydoo

my springs last wk had med/large herring and very large needle fish
Caught on anchovies and 602 colour hootchies and light green hootchies

Tight lines
Billydoo

Last year our best lure was a grand slam bucktail, army truck needlefish. It has a copperish belly. I will be in Nootka in mid July and will be trying the mini version first.

Full disclaimer. I own the company. :) Liked the product so much that when i couldn't buy anymore (orignal designer/owner called it quits), I bought the company!

Howard

Back