2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

"Any recent reports for chinook around Ferrer or the west side of Nootka?"

I can`t tell you about the salmon fishing, we didn't do any,but heard a few guys on the radio doing ok. I can tell you that the new floats at the ramp are a great improvement! they actually float and are secure.
I can say that if you can get off shore that the halibut and bottom fishing is as good as it gets right now. Have fun.

Great picture of the ramp, thanks. Good looking fish also.

Just got a report from my father who went up for two days. Prawning was decent with lots of jumbos but it is now ope to commercials so they should go quick. Slow on Hali's but ling fishing was good.

Rosa last weekend gave up a couple in the low 20's and a 12. ling fishing out on highway been good.

Only 3 more sleeps and we are off to nootka. It looks like the weather is lining up beautifully for it.

We are thinking of launching out of Zeballos this year to change it up and hopefully save the truck and trailer for the Cougar Creek or Tahsis roads. Google maps says that it is about the same driving time but just further because of the better roads. Anyone confirm that this is a good call? Thanks in advance.

I did the Zeballos road a few years ago and the only "better roads" part of the trip is Highway 19 to the Zeballos turn off. From the turn off it's 42 kms of gravel and unless it has changed, it's pretty rough - particularly if you hit it just before it's been graded. Don't think you're going to do your truck/trailer any favours. At least the Tahsis road has some paved sections.
I'd be more inclined to launch at Gold River and leave your truck and trailer there if you can.

Only 3 more sleeps and we are off to nootka. It looks like the weather is lining up beautifully for it.

We are thinking of launching out of Zeballos this year to change it up and hopefully save the truck and trailer for the Cougar Creek or Tahsis roads. Google maps says that it is about the same driving time but just further because of the better roads. Anyone confirm that this is a good call? Thanks in advance.

It is not a good call!! Tahsis is a better bet if you need your truck with you-Road is decent with many paved sections and getting better every year and a "freeish" ramp. If you don't need your truck I agree with Bigbruce launch at Gold river and leave the truck and trailer. You'll do them a favour! LOL

2x what Bigbruce and Springfever said. Done this trip a number of times and the only times I haven't enjoyed the run is when we ran the inlet in the afternoon. Just make sure you are through before late morning as the inlet gets rough, especially on a sunny day. Have a great trip!

Thanks a lot for the input guys; glad I asked!

We've done this same camping trip for about 10 years running and have usually launched out of Cougar Creek. The last two years we launched in Tahsis and it fealt like a better choice than Cougar....and it seems it is still the call. We camp closer to Esperanza Inlet than Nootka Sound on the outside of Nootka Island and I don't like the idea of running up the Sound in the afternoon chop so it looks like Tahsis it is again.

Thanks.

Bones, many people up there this time of year?
Not to sure, the report was from a family member who was called to work last weekend.i dont think there was anyone around. I think the highway was empty. Few hali and lings was all. If I remember right. The resort had 6 boats out and only two boats had salmon.

We too will be in Nootka for long weekend. Going to go outside and fish some whitefish but would like any info on trying for some springs outside. (By outside... offshore since we will be there). Have never fished this early out there but am looking for advice on "depths" to fish and basic "go to" gear to try this time of year. I have had reasonable success inside Maquinna or over at Escalante in May but only if there is bait around.

We too will be in Nootka for long weekend. Going to go outside and fish some whitefish but would like any info on trying for some springs outside. (By outside... offshore since we will be there). Have never fished this early out there but am looking for advice on "depths" to fish and basic "go to" gear to try this time of year. I have had reasonable success inside Maquinna or over at Escalante in May but only if there is bait around.
Stay safe-looking pretty frisky with only the smallest "flatter" periods

I will always leave some for u....
@Redfisher keep an eye open for a blue thunderjet 20' aluminum on the Mid/NW side of Nootka Island. On the water thursday until Monday night. Friday or sunday look like the best for outside....but the models are being shifty. We'll have the radio scanning...just ask for the 'Angry Seamen'. Good luck out there and play safe.

Andrew we will be in a 23' grey/blue fugly aluminum and will likely be flying a few of your spoons:) Will be on 10 and 68. Hopefully weather is friendly...

Curious to know when somebody goes for prawns this next month how they make out??? Last year was an absolute joke... grounds were decimated ... id love to make a trip out there in March if its positive.

Had a group of guys up prawning Nootka May 5 , 6 th fished 12 pots and only 550 prawn all nice size but lots of work and not real good prawning.

It is not a good call!! Tahsis is a better bet if you need your truck with you-Road is decent with many paved sections and getting better every year and a "freeish" ramp. If you don't need your truck I agree with Bigbruce launch at Gold river and leave the truck and trailer. You'll do them a favour! LOL
thanks for the info SF.we have a cabin booked in Esperanza so am thinking of launching in Tahsis instead of our regular launch at Gold R. my 26' is 10,000 lb total - any thoughts on the Tahsis road ?

thanks for the info SF.we have a cabin booked in Esperanza so am thinking of launching in Tahsis instead of our regular launch at Gold R. my 26' is 10,000 lb total - any thoughts on the Tahsis road ?
You will face two issues with a boat that size. First is the road. If recently graded, it may not be too bad, however if there's rain the road condition can change quickly. If no rain, there's the dust to contend with. I've towed my 2101 Striper over the road twice but would never do it again unless forced
Second, while the ramp in Tahsis is nice, it doesn't have a lot of slope. I suspect it was originally designed as a seaplane ramp. So tides will be important for you as will a long reach on your trailer if you want to keep your truck dry.

I have towed my 24' Seasport to Tahsis several times before I got smart and just launch at Gold River. We just tow the empty trailer on the logging road. The stress and time it takes to tow a big boat is not worth it to me. Also had a drunk driver run into out boat and trailer one year on the logging road that blew out all 4 tires and bent the axles and trailer into unusable condition. After a $4000 U.S. towing bill and buying a new trailer I say screw towing on that road. Luckily no one got killed. Also boat will be covered in dust or mud depending on the weather conditions. Save yourself the grief and put in at Gold River and enjoy the cruise. The road to Tahsis has gotten better the last few years but there are still people that drive way to fast for the road and logging traffic to deal with.

Back