2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Hitting them at the river mouth is really no different than the Skeena and Fraser fishermen targeting the Springs in the river itself. Fish are a lot worse quality at that point, but still being sought by the fishermen.

Not this year though. No openings for recreational. Lots of chrome Springs in both rivers in June and July historically. Run timings and condition of fish varies greatly depending on their natal stream.

Drewski, your fishing knowledge shows by comparing Comuna mud boots to the fish on the Fraser and the Skeena.
Best comparison of the year!

Drewski, your fishing knowledge shows by comparing Comuna mud boots to the fish on the Fraser and the Skeena.
Best comparison of the year!
Sorry guys but I gotta call out bad behaviour.

Why would anyone would bother posting results or findings on this board when they open themselves up to this type of potshot (there were several others in a similar vein); this needlessly derogatory.

I can't imagine what the benefit of this type of reply is but I seriously doubt anyone would bother posting when this is the result

It might be a good time to grow up if you want anyone posting here

Sorry guys but I gotta call out bad behaviour.

Why would anyone would bother posting results or findings on this board when they open themselves up to this type of potshot (there were several others in a similar vein); this needlessly derogatory.

I can't imagine what the benefit of this type of reply is but I seriously doubt anyone would bother posting when this is the result

It might be a good time to grow up if you want anyone posting here
I have been waiting for someone to finally post a reply like this. Well done Zeke. I used to belong to a fishing forum in Alberta and it turned into total crap because every post either had to be criticized as not demonstrating fishing prowess or someone had to chastise a fisherman for keeping a fish. It was always the same - guess what, the positive posters and those posting any valuable information stop showing up and the forum is basically full of trolls who have ruined it for everyone. Be nice, be positive - the more posts we have about an area the more we learn. If someone makes a mistake, pm them and turn it into a learning experience rather than publicly criticizing or calling them out. This forum will turn to dust if we don't properly mind our manners. Cheers.

Drewski, just going to clarify your comment on the Fraser River fish, I now live on the island have for 20 years, previously lived in the Fraser valley and bar fished the fraser river for more than 20 years I do not recall ever catching a dark spring or coho on the Fraser, most of those fish still have sea lice on them and are as silver as any salmon found in the ocean. I now live off of the mouth of the Little Q, and yes I have caught dark fish in the ocean right off the river mouth.But the fish that travel the Fraser were always bright not until late October or into November , will you find dark fish on the fraser, 90 percent will darken once they enter their spawning streams, the Chilliwack, Harrison, Chehalis . but the Fraser itself August, September still bright chrome. Also remember that the springs that enter the fraser in March and April on their way to the Thompson are going to spend the entire summer sitting in fresh water talk to anyone that has fished the Thompson in the summer what condition those fish are in. bright will be the answer.

I have been waiting for someone to finally post a reply like this. Well done Zeke. I used to belong to a fishing forum in Alberta and it turned into total crap because every post either had to be criticized as not demonstrating fishing prowess or someone had to chastise a fisherman for keeping a fish. It was always the same - guess what, the positive posters and those posting any valuable information stop showing up and the forum is basically full of trolls who have ruined it for everyone. Be nice, be positive - the more posts we have about an area the more we learn. If someone makes a mistake, pm them and turn it into a learning experience rather than publicly criticizing or calling them out. This forum will turn to dust if we don't properly mind our manners. Cheers.
This forum is the longest running, most active forum in BC, has gone through many trials and tribulations, but it remains strong compared to the other forums here in BC that broke new ground. This forum is very resilient and won't turn to dust anytime soon.

EXQUEEEZE MEEEE!!

Did you understand what I was saying?

Its not JUST the quality of the fish, but the fact that the fish are concentrated in an area (the river mouth or in the river itself), and the fish are vulnerable. However, this was the only opportunity to have any success when we were there.

Some of you have taken issue with "beating up on black boots", meaning when the fish are vulnerable and dark.

Some of you are taking issue with going after fish that have "almost" made it to the spawning beds as unsporting.

Some of you think that fishing the Fraser and the Skeena when the fish are actually that much closer to the spawning beds is somehow different than fishing the mouth of the Canuma. Really?

When guys are "flossing" the river, or fishing further up river, is it really any different? Give your head a shake. Yes the big systems can have chrome fish in the lower reaches, for a while. Or they can be sitting in the Vedder Canal black as tar after 3 weeks. the fish are that much more vulnerable, because they are now in the river and have to go to the holes to rest, or follow the channels to the next hole.

Its the same thing.

But for you that think you are so much more honourable because you fish in the Fraser and the Skeena, as opposed to the mouth of the Canuma, good for you.

You're no different than the rest of us fishing at the bays where the fish are waiting to start their run up the rivers.

Drewski

We've had the swipe taken and the rebuttal so it is time to put this to rest. Not sure why it is so difficult to understand that these reports threads are for just that. Reports. If something illegal is being posted then report it to the proper authorities. If not, keep your snide comments to yourself and stop derailing these threads.

Just back from the maiden trip to Flynns Cove! It was my wife and our three daughters 14,12 and 10 years. Had an awesome time. All we heard was of the slow fishing but it picked up while we where there. It took us all week to figure out the spots from some of the people that knew the area. I drug around a 4 inch anchovy lots with no luck but a couple shakers. White hootchie got some love, our hot lure was the Irish cream skinny G at 37 ft, springs and coho . My 12 year old ran one side of the boat, downriggers, setup, weed checks and all and saw most of the action! Her biggest complaint was the jellyfish TESTICALS getting wrapped around her flasher and lure. My wife and I had a good laugh about that.Awesome place loved seeing all the otters and hardly any seals. Few whales around which are always a crowd pleaser. Awesome place we will be going back next year for sure. Launched in Tahsis, road was ok my boat is an 18 ft aluminum wouldn't be dragging much bigger in very often.

Just back from the maiden trip to Flynns Cove! It was my wife and our three daughters 14,12 and 10 years. Had an awesome time. All we heard was of the slow fishing but it picked up while we where there. It took us all week to figure out the spots from some of the people that knew the area. I drug around a 4 inch anchovy lots with no luck but a couple shakers. White hootchie got some love, our hot lure was the Irish cream skinny G at 37 ft, springs and coho . My 12 year old ran one side of the boat, downriggers, setup, weed checks and all and saw most of the action! Her biggest complaint was the jellyfish TESTICALS getting wrapped around her flasher and lure. My wife and I had a good laugh about that.Awesome place loved seeing all the otters and hardly any seals. Few whales around which are always a crowd pleaser. Awesome place we will be going back next year for sure. Launched in Tahsis, road was ok my boat is an 18 ft aluminum wouldn't be dragging much bigger in very often.
wicked

Just got home from our trip to Moutcha Bay. We fished 3 days (last being Friday morn). Fishing was very slow. We stayed inside and fished the wall, camel, hoiss, and burdwood. Was my boys first trip - we had great weather and had an awesome trip. Would have been nice to pick up more than two jacks though.. Other than really black springs that guys were picking up at the mouth, I didn't see one fish boated by anyone around us. We were marking bait consistently, but rarely marked any fish. I ran through a good portion of my tackle box - ran an anchovie and white glow hootchie the entire time, and cycled out third rod through just about everything I own. Speaking with a few guides at the resort, it sounded like most of them were running up to Esperanza and picking up one or two for the days effort. There were gillnetters working Wednesday and Thursday night at the mouth, don't know if they were working anywhere else. We definetly enjoyed the trip, it would be nice to be up there when the fishing is a little better.

Was also up last week fished mostly burdwood and camel agreed fishing was slow but managed a 23 and 16 and couple smaller springs also couple nice coho 1 was 12 lbs weather and company was great thx again Ned all action came on anchovy

Went offshore a couple days ago and had the flattest water this year. NO kicker on, just dead drifting with the lines strait down laying the lumber to the bottom fish.

Went to Burdwood at 1500hrs and caught 4 salmon which 1 was 29#.

Today we caught 5 springs at Beano sooooo let's hope.

Went offshore a couple days ago and had the flattest water this year. NO kicker on, just dead drifting with the lines strait down laying the lumber to the bottom fish.

Went to Burdwood at 1500hrs and caught 4 salmon which 1 was 29#.

Today we caught 5 springs at Beano sooooo let's hope.

Awesome Mike. What an experience that must have been. You must be the last guy up there by now.

Latest and greatest report? Heading up in couple days.

Anyone drop trap while out this year? Numbers per set? Gonna prob drop 10-12 traps wondering where.....

Back