2017 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Out today out front F.C. noon 'til 6:40 pm.

Twist -free knickers required. Don't believe anything anybody tells you about the algae and slime clearing up. It's the worst I've seen ever.

20 minutes trolling and you are gunked up so bad you can't wind in. Didn't matter whether I was inshore or offshore. Gave up for about 4 hours and went jigging.

Anyway...9 lb'er at 12:30 pm. 200ft deep at the north hump. Purple Haze flasher and a glow "602" hoochie/ 38" leader. Had to "hand bomb" it in.

14lb'er at 6:15pm 400 ft of water off north hump. Lure down 70ft. 60 to 70ft was the magic number at that time for everybody.

Green splatterback hooch/ Green-glow Hotspot flasher/38 " leader.

Nothing much on finder at all. Screen was blank all day except for depth read-out.. Maybe I need a new better finder. 14lb'er had a 6 1/2" and a 7 1/2" herring in stomach.

Last edited:
Couple of the guys I know ..did well off the grey rock tonight again..13- 145 ft... spoons to 20lbs .. I 'll be out and about tomorrow morning :)

Hit the humps last night and landed a feisty 10lber right away on a green glow hoochie at 90' in about 220'. Released a just legal shortly thereafter hoping to get something bigger but other than one clip popper that got off that was it. Didn't see a whole lot of bait but the one I cleaned had some 4-5" herring in it. Like Seafever said the algae was brutal.

This is what I call a "602" hoochy (get from PNT)...because it glows and has the blue/pink pattern on it like a "602" plug. This one is shortened down a bit.

Thanks Ryan...:cool: That was the first one I used yesterday.

IMG_0361.JPG

We fished sangster last night from 5:30 til 6:30 with no bites, ran to the humps and ending getting three 13 lbers from 7:30 to 9:00. The algae was so bad we hand bombed the first fish and then we managed to troll out of it and the lines were clear for the other fish. Two on the 3.5 Pesca spoon in the photo and one on a splatter back hootchie. 100-140 feet.

Attachments

• IMG_2303.JPG
    IMG_2303.JPG
    524.8 KB · Views: 106
Just a question, do you guy's fish the tides or just go fishing when you have the time, doesn't matter if it's ebb or flood tide?

I find the slacks are best. Or an hour either side.

I prefer just after low slack generally...when the tide is just starting to rise.

You can get them other times too....nothing is written in stone. I find that there are often times when the bite comes on for awhile at slack tides...and then turns off like a tap for ages .

I also troll regardless of what it's doing tidewise.....because you just never know.

We fished sangster last night from 5:30 til 6:30 with no bites, ran to the humps and ending getting three 13 lbers from 7:30 to 9:00. The algae was so bad we hand bombed the first fish and then we managed to troll out of it and the lines were clear for the other fish. Two on the 3.5 Pesca spoon in the photo and one on a splatter back hootchie. 100-140 feet.

I'd be interested to know how you "trolled out of it". I covered about 5 square miles yesterday and couldn't troll out of it anywhere (slime).

I could troll out of and around the floating weed...but I never arrived anywhere where there wasn't brown algae/ slime.

IMG_1293.JPG Was out from of FC this morning and it was pretty slow for me till about noon when I got a 8lber off the big hump @ 140' on the "602" hoochie and then a 10lber shorlty after @ 170', thx Randy!, finally popped the cherry on the MC rockets today when the 10lber took it. Beauty day.

View attachment 33211 Was out from of FC this morning and it was pretty slow for me till about noon when I got a 8lber off the big hump @ 140' on the "602" hoochie and then a 10lber shorlty after @ 170', thx Randy!, finally popped the cherry on the MC rockets today when the 10lber took it. Beauty day.

Nice work. What is that? Durabait strip?

Went 3 for 4 tonight at the high tide. 220' with 5" Wonder chrome killed it but with all the bait down there anything might have worked.

Went 3 for 4 tonight at the high tide. 220' with 5" Wonder chrome killed it but with all the bait down there anything might have worked.

I saw u taking pics of the one spring Brian, Looked like a nice fish!!

Good fishing for us this morning in front of FC from 8 to 11. Kept 4, released a couple just undersize, and lost 3 or 4. Biggest was 13# so nothing huge. All fish were between 120 and 160 feet, most bites on hootchies with a couple on a 3.5" spoon.

Back