2017 Nanaimo Reports

Does anyone target Coho? Are the more concentrated over towards Pipers and Neck Point vs Hudson/Fingers? Would love any input.

Thanks
BL

Worked from the fingers to neck to brickyard and back last night. Three shakers. One on chovie, two on Irish creme coho killers. 100-120. Saw 8 seals. More than I've seen all year.

Seals are the worst I've ever seen out there this year. If you catch a decent fish in the 120' depth range by pipers or neck your gonna get sealed. All the biggest fish I've got this year have been in fairly close and have been taken by seals. Not even any point fishing that area off pipers and Hammond bay. Have seen them around the fingers lately too.

Last edited:
Fished out front last night, in the Hudsons for bottom fish, nothing huge but we hooked sole, rockfish, greenling, my first Cabezon and even a sea cucumber. Kept my 12 yr old entertained. 5 seals kept a close eye on us. :)

Wow what a night to be out, water was glass. Lots of boats between the fingers and Neck point so I presume some salmon were caught.

Fished the tide change tonite. Lots of boats out on a beauty of a night. Fished out deep first, nothing showing. Came in shallower and the sounder lit up. See pic. Got 7 shakers but no keepers. Saw lots of other boats releasing small too. Didn't see anything netted of size and the survey girl at the ramp said that no salmon were cleaned.

Attachments

• IMAG0690.jpg
    IMAG0690.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 91
I fish out Nanaimo all the time for some reason my lowrance 7 NEVER WORKS out there anyone have any ideas how to fix it? Seems to work other places I go fine

I fish out Nanaimo all the time for some reason my lowrance 7 NEVER WORKS out there anyone have any ideas how to fix it? Seems to work other places I go fine

I'm guessing it's an 83/200 transducer?
Most likely the water is deeper or harder to see through than where you usually go

My elite 5 used to loose bottom all the time out there. Also in port when the terrain got steep. I think the ping got lost on canyon walls or something. Never did get bottom over 600 feet. Got a hook 7 now. Have never lost bottom.

Osprey, I had the same problem, do some research and change your transducer. You probably have a transducer meant for freshwater use, the chuck water density is higher and it wont read for $#!+, I think mine is a 50/200. Seems to work fine now. There are also some software updates available, check out the Lowrance site. some of the updates are here http://www.lowrance.com/en-CA/Software-Updates/

Check that the transducer is solidly connected to your boat. My HDS Elite 7 was giving me trouble, problem was it was loose.

You might have to adjust the settings for depth and clarity as mentioned above.

Good Luck,

BL

Lots of boats out today, didnt see a legal fish caught let alone many small ones even, hope the summer runs come soon!!

We were out working neck point in tight to the rocks from 6 am till noon today. We lost one big one first thing and managed one keeper coho around 5 lbs. lots of tiny fish out there... Green flahers with Irish cream and cop car were most productive. Tried a few different hoochies but they didn't get any love.

Some big fish starting to come in...sign up for the Smokin Reels Charity Salmon Derby July15th and 16th out of Brechin boat launch. 2 days left...get tickets at Harbour Chandler, Gone Fishin, Wholesale Sports, or any Nanaimo Fire Station...over 5 grand in prizes...30 bucks a fisherman

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170622-220221.png
    Screenshot_20170622-220221.png
    355.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20170529-101954.png
    Screenshot_20170529-101954.png
    451 KB · Views: 58
  • received_1867447716908241.jpeg
    received_1867447716908241.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 59
I tried to get out there this morning. By the time I got to Hudson's rock I took two waves over the bow in my 16' double eagle. Button hooked it and headed home. Looks like I should have stuck it out.

Back