2017 Gulf Island Reports

Has anyone fished thrasher recently? I hit polier Saturday, and I am going to go out tomorrow but I am undecided on where to fish.

Fished Salamanca for a couple of hours but the line crud beat us up. Jammed up the rod tip and messed up the stoppers on the downrigger line - after 2 Pacific Cod packed it in and moved to the inside of Active Pass (Collinson Pt.). No line crud but water full of weed, lost one at the boat and another boat said they had 2 keepers earlier in the day.

Much better half and I fished Porlier this a.m. We figured that by having the lines in the water by 7am we would be "early" but there were close to a dozen boats there when we arrived. Fish happened quickly. We released one undersized and had another bouncing before we were able to get all the lines. She got her two, both wild and both between 12 lbs and 13 lbs (one white and one brilliant red that is going on the BBQ shortly), and she wanted to head back to shore before I even got to play a fish ... uh no, I said we needed to stay a little longer. A third keeper hit shortly after that, an 11 lb wild white, and we called it a day and were back to shore shortly after 9 am. We ran 4 lines as it was calm and there was little current and we had 2 between 60 ft and 100 ft and 2 down deeper where we were seeing a lot on the sounder. Fish were at 60, 75 and 90 feet (on Skinny G's) but my gut is there were bigger fish down deeper but we just didn't find them. Absolutely spectacular morning ... dead flat water and sunshine.

Fished Porlier today. Found the fish pretty quick on a green/white hootchie. All undersized and released. Scum maintenance became too much to deal with and we pulled lines without finding any keepers. Lots around us were netting fish but all ours were quite a bit under. Can't win everyday I guess.

Out again today for a few hours and managed one, and released 3 undersized, saw a few other boats hooking up but didn't see any size coming in, we couldn't manage to find anything that was legal besides the one.

Fished Porlier Sunday 7:30-12:30 on Sunday. Algae was awful!!! It was a struggle and a real chore fishing solo. Algae seemed to dissipate as I moved south. Had 6 hits but nothing stuck, until the 7th. Hit my dummy flasher setup which was fun, was running bait the other side. Had to handbomb it in for the last 20'. 10lb wild/red. At least it was exciting, and a great day one the water.

Fished Porlier again today , was busy , let go more fish than I care to count. Out of 15 fish managed 1 after 5 hours effort . All fiah other than the 1 8-9#er were 57cm cookie cutters. Algie was best I've seen in a while on a + note.

Fished Porlier yesterday from 10:30 to 1:00. Played 10 fish and put 4 in the box. All 4 were clipped. Caught with Anchovies at 150' on the downrigger.

Salamanca today for 4 hours ~ the algae is almost all gone! Two to the boat, released one (AP green/black herring spoon, green flasher, 140' on downrigger), kept a nice 10 lb red (Tomic 169 plug, dummy flasher, 100' on DR.). Lost one other on the plug. Fished the offshore ridge. Gorgeous day out there, half a dozen boats in close to shore.

Thanks for the report Pursuit.Also spent 4 hours there last weekend and picked up an 8 lb white and a couple just under but spent about 1 1/2 of those hours picking that brown cr#p off my lines.REAL happy to hear that it may be finally disappearing....
Also fish spoons and plugs and will be in the neighbourhood next weekend. Hope the weather and fish hang in there.

Fished porlier for 2 hours on way home from Galiano. Seemed to be less fish than Saturday but better size average. Only got into 5 fish but one around 15, the other keeper around 10. Chovys and Hoochies were pretty equal on fish Saturday but today the chovys seemed to be working much better for us. 122' on rigger for us was the sweet spot.

Very good off the Grande early am this weekend on the morning tide. Spoons in tight to the structure.

Back