2017 Gulf Island Reports

Fished Porlier on Sunday at 9am, had our 4 in the box by 11. Released a few undersized. Anchovy caught most of them. 145' on the riggers, 200' of water. Algae wasn't too bad either. Nice morning on the water!

At Porlier Sunday lost a couple big ones released 3 legals and kept a couple 8lbers. Irish cream at 200 in deep water north tip of Galiano.

I am going to be bouncing around Gabriola and Salt Spring this weekend and want to fish Porlier (which I have never done). It looks like there is some nice structure on the Galiano side of the pass (east side of island). Does anyone fish the trincomali channel side or in the actual pass?

I am going to be bouncing around Gabriola and Salt Spring this weekend and want to fish Porlier (which I have never done). It looks like there is some nice structure on the Galiano side of the pass (east side of island). Does anyone fish the trincomali channel side or in the actual pass?
I think some people may fish in the channel but I've never done it myself and personaly probably never will when I know there's fish on the other side of the island, as for fishing in the pass, I've never heard of people fishing for salmon in there but you can jig for cod in there during the slacks or when there is little current

Does anyone have a Porlier report from the last couple days? We are running across to Salt Spring this evening and are wondering whether it will be worth dropping the lines for a quick fish on the way.

Does anyone have a Porlier report from the last couple days? We are running across to Salt Spring this evening and are wondering whether it will be worth dropping the lines for a quick fish on the way.
Maze well just do it! so you can tell me how it is for when i go tomorrow morn :)

Maze well just do it! so you can tell me how it is for when i go tomorrow morn :)
I wouldn't normally hesitate to drop the lines on the way but I expect I may need to bait the much better half with a good fishing report this evening or she will be very focussed on getting to the other side asap so she can open a bottle of wine and watch the sunset in comfort.;)

I may need to bait the much better half with a good fishing report this evening or she....;)

Yes, fish it. Low tidal coefficient - I'd rather fish the morning, as you get so much time to get on top of them. Any fishing is better than no fishing, and they're moving in and out of that general area.

IMG_2600.JPG So the evening Porlier report is as follows. Got going late from Vancouver so we only had 30 minutes to fish which didn't allow for a lot of active time in the water. Long enough though to see that the fish were shallow this evening. Started deeper but saw a lot of activity on the screen (combination of chirp traditional, down vu and side vu really helped as the algae was thick again) ... lots of fish tonight between 50 and 80 feet so up came the lines and within 2 minutes of doing that we had a very good fish on and within 10 minutes of that we did an unfortunate, unintentional catch and release at the side of the boat as we as were reaching out to net said fish. On that note, we called it a night but the sounder screen was active enough that the much better half suggested we should try again tomorrow night. Beautiful Gulf Islands night.

Last edited:
Out at polier today from 5am-about 8am as the wind picked up we managed 2 released a few shakers and "long distance" released a few screamers which was heart breaking like always, we went a fished at tent while the wind was blowing and didnt get any action there but we only put in maybe an hour or so there were so many jelly fish they kept popping our release clips so we gave up on fishing there and went a jigged for abit then headed back to polier around 11 and fished till 2 releasing a couple 60cm 63cm type fish, and lost a couple other what we thought were decent fish. Sun was out all day and we all got sunburnt, we all finished it off with a nice dive off the boat into the water out a polier before heading in. Great day.

Hit Thrasher this morning ... nothing happen'n other than coating everything with Algae so we worked our way towards the Grande area. Got to one point where the water turned from that brown mess to a normal colour so decided to stay up there. Switched out spoons to army truck hoochies (read it on the forum a member had great success with the army truck the other day ... many thanks to him as it gave us the inspiration to try them ... never had any luck with them prior) and within 15 minutes we nailed a 10 pounder ... kept trolling and get another hit that didn't stick. Turned around and came back over the same area ... hit an 8 lb ... repeat again many times for numerous hits and long line releases ... a couple undersize and another 8 lb and an 11 lb. We were in about 400 ft of water and 160 on the rigger was where the majority of action took place. A great day again and once again put some advice from the forum into practice (going back over an area that is hitting and give the damn army truck the respect it deserves ... lol) ... definitely worked out for us !!!

Today was boat maintenance day, heading to porlier tomorrow hope it's a beauty day good luck out there guys

Where do you guys fish at porlier. Was thinking of heading out in the morning

If you run out through porlier, turn right(south), for about a mile or maybe 2, on your chart-plotter, or This program, you will find a relatively large flat area, about 170' deep, with a strip of 150 in it. Drop your cannon balls until they hit the bottom, and then some. As long as you stay on that area, and bounce bottom, you will not get snagged(DISCLAIMER: I haven't fished there since commercial prawn season started this year, so there may be strings of traps, on which you can get hung up on, beware). Anyhow, troll the bottom with bait or spoons. A white hoochie is also a safe bet.

Where do you guys fish at porlier. Was thinking of heading out in the morning
Fish to the south when you come through polier, you'll see everyone else fishing pretty much right out front of the pass (little bit to the south) and you can jump in line with them or you can start trolling to the south and go quite aways down and fish away from the crowd which I what I suggest. I would fish start by following the 230 contour a ways south then start working you your way back north and if you get nothing move a little deeper. And when you get one mark it as they tend to all be in one places the hard part is just finding them.

Fish to the south when you come through polier, you'll see everyone else fishing pretty much right out front of the pass (little bit to the south) and you can jump in line with them or you can start trolling to the south and go quite aways down and fish away from the crowd which I what I suggest. I would fish start by following the 230 contour a ways south then start working you your way back north and if you get nothing move a little deeper. And when you get one mark it as they tend to all be in one places the hard part is just finding them.

Thanks. Went out this morning with no luck. The algae is crazy. I've never had that before and getting it off for line is a PITA. I fished the 230 at between 120-170 and. Itching went deeper nothing went in shallow 70-120 and nothing. Using a army truck hootchie with flasher and a coho killer and silver flasher. My line kept piping off on the braided rod so I got fed up and called it the at. Lots and lots of boats though. Thanks for the help.

Got out at about 10 was flat glass beauty morn got 2 one clipped one wild. Had 3 takers that didn't stick lost a couple little guys at the boat was going to let go any way. First one hit Irish cream skinny G the fatter one. Couldn't get that spoon to go again got the clipped and the others on kitchen sink skinny G 90 on the rigger in 180-250. kitchen sink was hottest.

Attachments

• IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    550.9 KB · Views: 67
Thanks. Went out this morning with no luck. The algae is crazy. I've never had that before and getting it off for line is a PITA. I fished the 230 at between 120-170 and. Itching went deeper nothing went in shallow 70-120 and nothing. Using a army truck hootchie with flasher and a coho killer and silver flasher. My line kept piping off on the braided rod so I got fed up and called it the at. Lots and lots of boats though. Thanks for the help.
Sorry my bad I forgot to give you a depth. 90 ft on the rigger was my golden number

Back