2017 Gulf Island Reports

Great info! Thanks for that. We're staying on the north end of Mayne, plan to drop crab and prawn traps during our stay there as well. I'll find some reefs to hit for the Lings as well. Thanks again for the help!

Hit Porlier yesterday morning. Seemed like few fish went through around 8:30. We picked up an #18 and the boat beside us got a #10. Nothing else for us after that.
Lots of bait everywhere, and arches too, but couldn't trick them into biting.

Our hit: white hoochie @ 90'. The other guys: skinny G @ 140'.

Lots of bait everywhere, and arches too, but couldn't trick them into biting.

Our hit: white hoochie @ 90'. The other guys: skinny G @ 140'.
I had a couple good days last weekend a bit south of there using green or purple ace high flies. Limits of mature clipped fish.

Tough day for me. A couple of passes at Collinson, a couple at Salamanca. One little one lost was all I had to show for it. Sure felt like I put in enough work...

A buddy that runs a charter says he got a "nice spring" (generally means 12-18) off Pender Bluffs yesterday afternoon. No mention of any other hits.

Tough day for me. A couple of passes at Collinson, a couple at Salamanca. One little one lost was all I had to show for it. Sure felt like I put in enough work...

Was that you in the rear tiller I saw out there @Tugcapitan ? I cruised by an open boat w/ rear tiller fishing near collinson around 7am and then saw the same boat around 9am at Salamanca. I was in a 20' welded aluminum with black canopy.

I was fished Salamanca sunday morning for couple hours. Ended up bonking 2 around 10lbs each and had a few other hits from unders/missed. Chovies seemed to be working best for us. Surprising how few boats were out fishing over the long weekend.

Hooked a decent fish in Active this morn, couple line peeling runs, a solid back and forth til he was under the boat where he threw the hooks with head shakes. I was thrilled and disappointed at the same time, but mostly just happy to have hooked it :)
Yes @tincan thats me in the 12 ft tinny, been fishing it since I was 9 years old!
This mornings only bite was 93 pulls on the deep six haha!

Hooked a decent fish in Active this morn, couple line peeling runs, a solid back and forth til he was under the boat where he threw the hooks with head shakes. I was thrilled and disappointed at the same time, but mostly just happy to have hooked it :)
Yes @tincan thats me in the 12 ft tinny, been fishing it since I was 9 years old!
This mornings only bite was 93 pulls on the deep six haha!
I'm in the 16 ft blue duro...say hi if u see me....fishing off Collinson or Helens on the inside? Not sure if u mean the deep six diver or a good ol 6 oz. banana weight...If on the inside at Helens that's pretty ballsy in a 12 footer.

Had a crusher bend my rod into the water. A few 100 + runs that felt like it would led break my 50 Lb yamashita then a few head shakes from way out spit silver horde cookies ncream 91'. Great spoons but many lost on the flimsy hook.

Had a crusher bend my rod into the water. A few 100 + runs that felt like it would led break my 50 Lb yamashita then a few head shakes from way out spit silver horde cookies ncream 91'. Great spoons but many lost on the flimsy hook.

I gave up on those hooks, first thing I do is cut them off, although eventually I just stopped using silver horde altogether.
Too much hassle messing with hooks

Hit Collinson about 1-ish. Fed the dogfish, and had a whole teezer bitten off. Then we moved to Salamanca at about 3:30. Ended up with an 8-10 lb Spring.

Saw someone get an 8-10 lber at Collinson this morn, we had one good bite that didn't stick.
The nostalgia of no downriggers or sounder with deep six divers is starting to wear off lol
I'll try a couple more times this week....

FYI saw DFO/parks checking plenty of people this evening in the Belle Chain and Mayne RCAs. Chased a guy half way across the straight.

Dont be dumb follow the regs, know the Rockfish Conservation Areas, and respect the resource.

Back