2017 Gulf Island Reports

How's the algae been over around Gabriola lately? Contimplating taking that side of the straight on my way back from Lund today and fishing there for a bit.

Fished Maxwell Point in Samsum Narrows last night. Lost the first on on an Irish Creme spoon due to a bad eye / crimp on the hook. Landed a 65cm on a white hootchie with a purple stripe I dont know the number and a purple haze flasher. We fished as deep as 200ft fish were at 70 and 80 ft.

How's the algae been over around Gabriola lately? Contimplating taking that side of the straight on my way back from Lund today and fishing there for a bit.
I fished Salamanca there on Sunday and the water was in good shape. (See report above). A week earlier it gummed up the lines, the rod eyes and the downrigger. No problem on Sunday.

[Just saw the time stamp on your question so probably this answer was no help :)]

Spent the afternoon tucked into tunstall, started with a double header, managed to land one and lost the other at the boat.
Finished with a lunker of a football, it was peeling line for over 20 minutes. That was one of the most energetic fish I've landed this yearIMG_20170530_160733.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170530_160733.jpg
    IMG_20170530_160733.jpg
    860.9 KB · Views: 9
I fished Salamanca there on Sunday and the water was in good shape. (See report above). A week earlier it gummed up the lines, the rod eyes and the downrigger. No problem on Sunday.

[Just saw the time stamp on your question so probably this answer was no help :)]
Thank you Pursuit. Was blowin pretty good today on my way back from Lund so the trip back took quite awhile. So skipped fishing local when I got back. No more room in the boat coolers for fish, prawn or crabs anyways lol.. ;):)

Im going to try Porlier for the first time on Friday . Does anyone have any advice they would like to share?

Im going to try Porlier for the first time on Friday . Does anyone have any advice they would like to share?

Try putting "Porlier" in the search box on the Salt Water Fishing Reports page and you will find dozens of reports that give good ideas on how to fish the area. Good luck ~ hope the fish are still there for you!

Ive been fishing the 200-300 contour at around 100ft on the rigger spoons and hootchies have been working for me (don't normally use bait I pay enough on fuel alone hehe) If there are any specific questions you want to know just post in here and I will try to help you out.

Spent the afternoon tucked into tunstall, started with a double header, managed to land one and lost the other at the boat.
Finished with a lunker of a football, it was peeling line for over 20 minutes. That was one of the most energetic fish I've landed this yearView attachment 33460
My bad guys, obviously plunked that report in the wrong thread

Try putting "Porlier" in the search box on the Salt Water Fishing Reports page and you will find dozens of reports that give good ideas on how to fish the area.lGood luck ~ hope the fish are still there for you!
Thanks Pursuit. I have done the search. I was looking for recent colour and depth recommendations and stuff like watch out for the pinical near pick a name spot.

Ive been fishing the 200-300 contour at around 100ft on the rigger spoons and hootchies have been working for me (don't normally use bait I pay enough on fuel alone hehe) If there are any specific questions you want to know just post in here and I will try to help you out.
Thank you Michael. White and green still the goto colours? 4" spoons coho killers or would you try something bigger?

Thank you Michael. White and green still the goto colours? 4" spoons coho killers or would you try something bigger?
Sorry its bit late hopefully you still can read this is time, we have caught lots of shakers on coho killers but no keepers the 4inch irish cream has been working for me I did try a 6inch cop car for about half an hour and caught 2 smaller ones but didn't give it much of an effort, and then white a green splatter back hootchie is working like always! good luck let us know how you do!

Well we got out to Porlier this afternoon......sort of.. Took my buddy's boat for its maiden voyage this year
All tuned up and ready to go, boat starts immediately when the key is turned, the motor is idling perfectly. So far so good. We embark on the journey from Crofton to Porlier.
We are running for about five minutes and notice there is water on the floor, where is this coming from? under the dash? turns out it's the waterline to the speedometer, it has worn through in one spot. No problem, we will just kink it off, then about half a mile from Porlier the boat looses power coughs and sputters then quits. We go to re start it and there is a horrible grinding sound from the starter thats weird and what does it have to do with the engine quitting. It's not hot, it kind of turns over, has fuel.
We farted around for about 20 minutes and never did sort it out. We trolled the inside of Galiano for a while using the kicker, tried the pass for a bit on the way through to the other side. Because we were only on the kicker we did not try down to the south on the outside, and packed it in early as we had a long ride home. We kind of trolled home on a fast troll.
The long and short of my rambling post is that we go shut out. not so much as a touch. It was a beautiful afternoon and evening on the water though.

Lots of boats at Salamanca today most inshore and couple out over the ridge. Released one kept one both on AP black/white/silver spoon and green flasher @130' on the downrigger. Saw a couple of other nets out. Water was a little murky - runoff? - but no algae.

Porlier has provided consistent fish but still missing anything bigger than 13lbs. Irish Cream S H. 100'. Considering Thrasher or Salamanaca. Want a screamer. Any thoughts are welcomed.

Tried Salamanca on Sunday morning for 3 1/2 hours. One 8# and one pin popper that didn't stick. Definitely slower than two weeks ago. Good news was very little algae. Waaaaaay better than last trip which was awful.

Back