2017 Gulf Island Reports

Fished Salmanca Tuesday for a quick hit - didn't mark any bait working the power lines north towards porlier. Bouncing bottom with skinny G's didn't get anything except a few bycatch rockfish gently released.

Was super foggy so we didn't make it to Porlier so we trolled around coffin point for abit with no success my buddy caught a 12lber there yesterday though, the fog lifted enough for a brief bit so we pulled the lines and shot to bear point to drop the crab traps and went and trolled tent island with no success once again but we were marking lots of bait, we even had a seagull troll around with us for a good hour and half he just perched him self on the outboard and trolled around with us. No crabs at all at bear point just a couple tiny crabs I have never seen crabbing that poor there before... anyone been having the same issue there?

I can definitely vouch for the fogginess. I ran over to Saltspring from Vancouver this a.m. and really gave the electronics a good test. Between gps and a well plotted route with radar overlay, it wasn’t a bad trip but it was a little disorienting. Remarkably calm and just a lot slower than usual. Will fish Porlier on the way back to Vancouver tomorrow ... odds are the fish will have better visibility that I will.

I can definitely vouch for the fogginess. I ran over to Saltspring from Vancouver this a.m. and really gave the electronics a good test. Between gps and a well plotted route with radar overlay, it wasn’t a bad trip but it was a little disorienting. Remarkably calm and just a lot slower than usual. Will fish Porlier on the way back to Vancouver tomorrow ... odds are the fish will have better visibility that I will.
Yes it was very very foggy! I don't normally get turned around and disorientated but the fog was so thick I was completely disoriented! Thank god for GPS o_O

An
Any luck today Teja?

An

Any luck today Teja?
I dropped the lines late a.m for a couple hours on the way back to Vancouver and managed to get one small keeper and release 7 undersized. Dionisio Point is packed with sea lions right now, far more than I have seen in prior years. You could hear them from a long ways away and I was visited a number of times by very friendly groups of sea lions. Spectacular day on the water ... warm, flat calm and fog was not a problem.

44332E16-3A3B-4103-8BE9-799236A2073A.jpeg 53BDABAD-C566-48D9-A9B6-32F532EBC4F2.jpeg Th
Out again for a troll at tent with nothing to show for besides a shaker and a few prawns, beautiful day on the water though.
Ran across from Vancouver to Saltspring yesterday a.m. and then back to Vancouver late this afternoon. Porlier looked fishy but we resisted the temptation to drop the lines so we could spend more time on Saltspring. Stopped to show the much better half the sea lions on the way over and also dropped the prawn traps near Tent. Caught enough prawns for a meal and for the first time ever a couple of the traps were full of undersized crabs.

Out at porlier today for a few hours and got nothing not even and shaker. Prawning is closing down in most of the areas as of Jan 1st so I think we will probably be off the water till Feb 1st when Halibut hopefully opens :)

Back