2017 Gulf Island Reports

Salamanca for about 3 hrs. this am until it blew up a bit and the chop made it tough for a friend - a couple of undersized on AP herring spoon and on a white hootchie.
Moved inside, Collinson and Helen Point - lots of bait, some Pinks up on the surface again a couple of little guys and that was it.
Fished up and down the depths - nada. Highlight of the day was my friend's Grandson driving the Pursuit back to the dock on his own :)

Fished fairly well but caught very poorly each of the last two days. On Sunday, we fished Thrasher from 730am to 10am and then moved to the Grande and fished for an hour there ... had 5 undersized to show for our efforts and only saw one net out and that was for a fish that was released; and, today we dropped the lines late in the ebb at Porlier at 11:00 am (much better half proceeded to tell me the full moon was at 11:10am today) and fished anchovies and spoons for a couple hours in the slop/chop and couldn't keep the undersized fish off the lines.

While we missed the spectacular Gulf Island sunsets the last two nights, the sun falling thru the smoke has created some interesting effects and last night wreaked a little havoc with the iPhone's ability to capture the line of fire which the sun had shone across the water.fullsizeoutput_223.jpeg fullsizeoutput_225.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    462.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2774.JPG
    IMG_2774.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Not sure if any of the guys in this thread are fishing Active? I have been at the tip of Crane Point (south side of Village Bay) watching guys jigging/mooching at the west entrance to Active; how do you guys make out fishing this way? Have seen a few boats trolling up and down the southwest corner of Galiano....but was just curious about the boats that are pretty much stationary out there?

Believe me....after lunch I think I will give it a go.
I fished there lots when I was younger with my father in law. About 20 years ago. He's since passed. There used to be good crabbing at the Village Bay too but that may be crabbed out somewhat now days I would think.

The guys jigging and mooching over on the rock drop off by Collinson are probably locals and they will probably not say much about it lol. There is a marker just to the north of that where there are rocks breaking the surface and a bit of a small rock island type of thing there where bait gets pushed in and trapped on good flood tides. Can be a dangerous spot on the heavy rip and ferry's going in and out but a lot of fish get caught there. We used to troll around there a lot when we would cross over from Point Roberts when the in laws had a place over there. Father in law didn't like to jig or mooch though lol. He was a troller only.

Fished Porlier Pass today, managed one legal spring (72cm) and released 2 that were just shy of legal, and then quite a few shakers, and picked the prawn and crab traps on the way in, prawning was better that it has been for us lately which was nice to see, but crabbing was poor normally we are throwing back several legals because we have already got our limit but today was very unsuccseful, beautiful day on the water though.

Managed to get out fishing off Galiano this past weekend. Fished the inside of Active Pass for a bit with no bites and then moved to Salamanca and trolled north. Got into a few undersized before landing a 10lb spring on a skinny g spoon. Great looking winter spring and was real tasty on the BBQ. Lots of sea lions around making noise and putting on a show. Didn't seem to mind us catching fish next to them which was nice.

Spent saturday morning trolling around Porlier and I can honestly say that was my first and hopefully last time I get to experience fishing in the snow because brrr it was cold! but the fish sure didn't seem to mind it! Tons and tons of undersize chinook and coho around, we caught 3 Chinook that were just under the limit, and couldn't manage to find any keepers, there was a ton of bait around! and there were 2 grey whales taking advantage of all the feed, and several sea lions and seals out as well. We spent the night in Ganges harbour on satuday night and Sunday we ran through Sansum Narrows on the way home which was PACKED shore to shore with gill netters and a couple purse seiners, I felt like I was going through a corn maze trying to work my way around all the nets without running one over, on the north side of the narrows I saw a bait ball and stopped and just circled it slowly and I seemed to be marking a good school of fish (Probably chum) but didn't stop to fish as it was time to get home.

We were out again today at porlier with no luck just a ton of undersized chinook and coho, we got boarded by fisheries while we were out there which was nice to see them out patrolling, it was my first time I have been stopped and it made me quite happy to see them out there checking licenses and gear as it doesn't seem to happen enough! Picked up the prawns traps on the way home and got 113, super nice day!!

Put in a solid effort yesterday in that beauty weather window. Morning outside Porlier, afternoon above thrasher.
Gorgeous weather, lots of wildlife, good times with a great friend.
Two Chinook too small to keep was all we had to show for the day, but it still felt great.

Anyone been out recently in the Porlier,Thrasher or Tent island area? Probably going to head to Porlier on Saturday if I dont have to work! Any intel would be great!

W
Anyone been out recently in the Porlier,Thrasher or Tent island area? Probably going to head to Porlier on Saturday if I dont have to work! Any intel would be great!
Would love to hear how you do tomorrow if you do try Porlier. I am crossing over from Vancouver in the fog tomorrow (Radar, GPS and slower speed) and won't have time to fish Porlier tomorrow a.m. but will try either Tent or Porlier on Sunday before heading back to Vancouver.

Fished porlier 10:30-2:00 on tuesday. 1 6-7lb wild Chinook keeper. 200' on bottom.
Lots of bait and fish showing on sounder.
Tons of logs in water from big tides, be careful.

Back