2017 Gulf Island Reports

Hit up Porlier Sunday morning. Went 1 for 5, soft bites and had a rookie on the rod. Broke the leader on a definite keeper, which made us all sad for a while.
Skinny G and Coho Killers @ 120'.

Broke the leader on a definite keeper, which made us all sad for a while.
Since it sounds like it was bigger than 85cm, I just wanted to make sure you know that you can't keep any over, unless you're in Area 17.
My sons got one to the boat yesterday at the Bluffs, but fortunately and not...it released itself.

Since it sounds like it was bigger than 85cm, I just wanted to make sure you know that you can't keep any over, unless you're in Area 17.
My sons got one to the boat yesterday at the Bluffs, but fortunately and not...it released itself.

Thanks, I've got a copy of that notice on board. 85cm can still get you an #18-19 fish, which is a beauty in my books. Picked up one of those on the long weekend at Porlier, and check out the Salt Spring Island Moby's Fishing Derby results. Still nice fish to be had within the slot limit :)

Hit up Porlier Sunday morning. Went 1 for 5, soft bites and had a rookie on the rod. Broke the leader on a definite keeper, which made us all sad for a while.
Skinny G and Coho Killers @ 120'.
Same with us on Saturday evening lost the keeper at the boat..... Rookies. Tons of bait on the surface, polier and thrasher

[Tons of bait on the surface, polier and thrasher[/QUOTE]
You're not kidding. My son and I were shocked by the number, and size of the bait fish schools. Sadly, nothing was striking through them, causing them to boil up,.....which explains why they weren't going after our lures :(

Went jigging the other day and found a ling hole not far from Active P.
Went trolling this aft near Collison without results, but was glad I went.

Slot limit expired 14th July. Now allowed two springs over 62cm.

The FishingBC app is a simple way to check the current regs without trawling through DFO website.

Good luck out there, last time out for me was 10 days ago. Lots of shakers around now and dogfish. Lost one decent fish early on at high slack, anchovy at 90' in 250' water.

Slot limit expired 14th July. Now allowed two springs over 62cm.

The FishingBC app is a simple way to check the current regs without trawling through DFO website.

Good luck out there, last time out for me was 10 days ago. Lots of shakers around now and dogfish. Lost one decent fish early on at high slack, anchovy at 90' in 250' water.
Thanks. I did check the DFO but didn't want to miss anything. I sure do miss the good old days when everything was contained in a book and regs didn't change on the fly. Will post report even if I don't have success.

Thanks. I did check the DFO but didn't want to miss anything. I sure do miss the good old days when everything was contained in a book and regs didn't change on the fly. Will post report even if I don't have success.
If you are fishing Porlier today, hows the straight side waters looking? The wind last few days kept me off my prime spots.

Porlier produced 2 nice lings before we went salmon fishing. Caught a couple of baby salmon in the hour and a half before I ran across a submerged cable or line. Lost both cannonballs in the ensuing gong show and called it a day; beautiful and enjoyable day with my son regardless.

Hit Collinson about 6:30am and got a couple of shakers, a dogfish, and 1 pink sized Spring. Then the tide started to rip and got pushed towards the point/reef, and left my flasher & teezer behind. So pulled up and went to Salamanca for lots of shakers, and 1 nice rock fish.

Anyone have any recent luck at either Thrasher or Porlier ... Trying to decide where to go Sunday a.m.

I hit Collinson at about 9:15 (little b4 the change). I had several little (barely legal) pinks, but let them go waiting 4 the good ones. They never came. By the time I decided to start keeping the little ones, I started getting undersized springs. I also got several shakers, and 1 dogfish. Everything was 100'-150' in 170'-300' of water, On Skinny Gs.

Try asking in Nanaimo or Van about Thrasher.

Back