2017 DFO cutbacks

bones

next week 3.5 million and RRU GONE
community advisors gone
habit division gone
biologists gone
steelhead PROGRAM GONE vedder, chehalis, kitimat, all gone (federal)
seniors employees gone
Education programs gone
announced yesterday and desks have been packed up people are not working today already.

Won't shed a tear that the impotent, inefficient, leech of a gov agency like the DFO is cut back.

Would just like to see something put in its place that will actually achieve what the DFO is supposed to achieve.

If it's a useless Gov body, why fund it with my dollars?

Thanks for the heads up, Bones. Do you happen to know what was cut from the commercial and fish farm departments? How much was cut from the fat cats in Ottawa and how much was cut from the Pacific Region?

its nothing official, so. buddy still has a job but everyone around him dropped like flies today. there was alot more but without reading it, i cant say. i think it will be official in a few weeks. looks like there just trimming but will see.

But i thought Mr Selfie was the people's champion against the evil Harper??

I guess they need to save money to give to the terroroists

So why isn't this in the Big Media News ........ anybody? Anybody?

Showing people the state our Government feels about our fisheries.

How Pathetic yet again. Manage To Zero.

When's it's all gone or closed, there will be NOTHING to MANAGE. Period.

apparently they think economists and lawyers are more valuable - they are hiring for those...

Won't shed a tear that the impotent, inefficient, leech of a gov agency like the DFO is cut back.

Would just like to see something put in its place that will actually achieve what the DFO is supposed to achieve.

If it's a useless Gov body, why fund it with my dollars?

I don't think you understand what programs and people that these cuts represent. Local community volunteer projects that run hatcheries and river enhancements projects need this support to do there work. Without this support it will be difficult to keep these projects going so that we have something to fish for. This will demoralize the 10's of thousands of volunteers that currently give their time to help salmon. I suggest you have a rethink.

I'll just drop this post here.....

Its does not end there-- DFO has also dismantled the Resource Restoration Unit that did major stream restorations and provided invaluable assistance to Stream Keeper groups. And it gets worse.... the Stream to Sea Educational program for BC schools has also been cancelled after 30 years of teaching our kids the importance of clean waters and healthy salmonid stocks in Canada..... http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/education/index-eng.html Disgusting .............................................

Yes GLG I agree with what your saying about volunteers needing this support, but..... it should never fall on "volunteers" to do the work govt takes our money to do. They get complacent and start to think that's the way it should be. We need more "volunteers" to hold the govt accountable for the money they take and then expecting us to do the work. Sorry for the rant, but that's my opinion on govt and volunteers.

apparently they think economists and lawyers are more valuable - they are hiring for those...
There is a new approach that DFO will be revealing. From what I understand scientists are being rehired. There I also talk of following our friends to the south..... Ranch them then everyone will stop bitching. The next few days will say it all.

The proof is in the pudding.

Fish returns are a whisker of what they used to be. Definition of insanity is repeating the same behavior and expecting a different result.

Shake up the DFO!

Floater, I see you're a throw the baby out with the bathwater type. I'll side with the folks in squamish and maybe we should agree to disagree.

Bones thanks for bringing this to our attention and please keep us up to date.

Love politicians, they all lie.

However, they change their minds if they get a lot of flack for their decisions.

Guess they are not getting any on these.

Love politicians, they all lie.

However, they change their minds if they get a lot of flack for their decisions.

Guess they are not getting any on these.
Politicians couldn't manage a bubble gum machine, yet we somehow think giving them more and more of our money will fix the problem.

Shake up the DFO!

The Federal Government has just announced that they're terminating the DFO Resource Restoration Unit. This means that DFO staff will no longer be able to participate in projects to restore fish habitat, community or education programs such as Salmon in the Schools, volunteer support, watershed management programs and other activities which support Salmon and salmon habitat enhancement.

Speak up and let you MP know that you won't stand for this! Justin Trudeau has delivereda dagger to the heart of all British Columbians! These cuts make it clear that he does not care about Pacific salmon or the thousand of volunteers in BC, that have worked to improve their habitat and protect them. . I know Romeo LeBlanc, the father of current Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc, must be rolling over in his grave at this announcement by his son. Romeo LeBlanc started the Salmon Enhancement Program 40 years ago.

Here's a bit more info:
http://www.squamishchief.com/news/local-news/fish-programs-cut-1.20241215

we are totally indebted to the stream keepers
and they have my whole support
for without them howe sound would just be a empty shell of water ...

Back