2017 Campbell River Reports

Fished the green can 3-7 today, 18 lbs and lost an 8, few doggies and a couple coho grills. Found fishing 200' contour, 220 line out best.Guide boat with us got 4 and lost a few hits, they are professionals so glad they got some albertan friends some fish, Great evening

IMG_1008.JPG I found this bouy and trap drifting in 850 ft of water yesterday, halfway between Cortes and quadra. I tried calling the number but it's no longer in service. If anyone knows who this is let me know so I can get they're gear back to them.

Attachments

• IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG
    518.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I got 3 Chinook 14 to 20lbs and let go 2 go to this afternoon in the pack of boats off the south end of Quadra. Got them deep 280-300 on plugs.
I also had a dogfish towing a 7 inch plug and a flasher swim along side my boat so I scooped it with my net and got some new gear.
It's the first time I've seen a big plug fished with a 5ft leader behind a flasher and I'm not sure how a 4lb dogfish managed to snap someone's line.
Lucky dog! Johnny on the spot. I just heard about somebody losing a plug like that. Sounds like it might have been a killer plug. Was there a lot of teeth marks on it?

Fished deep water today and found some pinks as well as a mix of all other species except chum. The only sockeye we caught was in rough shape, must have been attacked by a seal. Hope he survives, he has quite a story to tell.
Released a wild coho and unhappily a nice spring, human error(MINE}. No complaints.

Seeing several boats between Fransisco and the Green Can tonight and yesterday. Can someone give a report please ?

Been out a few times over the last week and a half.

Fished mornings only 630 to 1100 ish.

Got 1 or 2 each time out. Fish 10 - 24 lbs. Most action between the red and green can. Only hooked 1 down the shelf north of the can towards francisco. Assortment of undersized, cohos, pinks around as well. 2 nice ones this morning.

6" plugs trolled fast near bottom. 602, 407g and Jack Smith. Caught them at 120 to 285 on the rigger in and around the bait. Make sure your riggers are spooled up!

Any reports from up north?

Gave Browns Bay a sniff on Sunday morning.

Undersized springs, pinks, coho and a big chum all on bait 100-150 on the rigger. Only saw a couple netted. Seemed pretty slow.

Hopefully going out tomorrow morning.
Probably just local at the Green Can to Red Can.
Been hearing lots of positive chatter around town...

Was out 9 till 2 today between red can and green can with like 60 boats! Lots of action for us but mostly pinks and wild coho. Springs were small to shakers for us. O and a few doggies to.

Fished 4-8. Green can area. Nothing for me except shakers and a couple doggies.
**** loads of boats, looked like they were picking up pinks in the shallows. Talk about crazy out there fishing with so many boats. never again! Too many boats not paying attention where they are going or won't move off thier tack.

Was out 9 till 2 today between red can and green can with like 60 boats! Lots of action for us but mostly pinks and wild coho. Springs were small to shakers for us. O and a few doggies to.
  1. 60 boats ??????? You should have been there in the day when 150 boats covered the whole area.. how soon we forget!!! LOL!! Still remember the choking haze from the 2 cyl. OBS

Jack Smith that's a name of a hootchie I haven't heard for awhile. The original Jack Smith was a awesome colour I wish I still had some of those kicking around.

Seeing several boats between Fransisco and the Green Can tonight and yesterday. Can someone give a report please ?
Francisco Point has been very productive for us the boat took home a 16lb, 18lb, 22lb and a 27lb Chinook all on 4" Cop Car beautiful evening we just made sure that everytime we had a fish on just steered into open water .....lots of boats out with several of them appearing to have good success jigging

Went north on Saturday. Picked up one spring at end of flood at Greensea and two on the ebb at Thurston. Bait and blue meanie were the ticket. Beauty day and area.

Seeing lots of boats at the hump and Green can. Can someone please post a report ? Thanks

still lots of fish out there between the red and green can. neighbor picked up a 47 lb chinook the other day. still deep as hell; 250-ish on the wire on avg. blue meanys and a glow white have been working for me

Late report
I fished green can early Friday morning
We lost decent fish down deep 240' on the herring aid spoon.

Does anyone know the knot used to slice a piece of braided line between the spoon and eye of the hook. Ive been losing a few too many fish with the spoons thought this tactic may help.

On a positive note there is a ton of small/medium herring at the can and in shallow. As well lots of juvenile coho jumping on the surface hopefully there is enough groceries to keep them healthy through the winter.

Thx Scott

Back