2017 Alberni Inlet

fishspoon, if DFO didn't mismanage the Sockeye fishery so bad we would have all been eating Sockeye right now.

I really miss my June Sockeye fishing before heading to Nootka.

The good old days when every hotel, bar, sports store, marina and restaurants in Port was full for weeks with people fishing Sockeye.

I was in port today for work... It's like a ghost town around there for fishing boats. Maybe 5 trailers at clutsie marina and I only seen 1 boat going over the hump. I would imagine this is very hard on the local businesses.

Hopefully next year is better.

Anyone heard of the current escapement numbers to date? There must be a significant increase in the number of fish than what was originally anticipated.

Anyone heard of the current escapement numbers to date? There must be a significant increase in the number of fish than what was originally anticipated.

Apparently 200,000 have made it through already. They wanted a minimum of 172,000

Just heard DFO is going to open a Sockeye retention fishery in Port Alberni Saturday- Recreational anglers 2 per day - 4 possession.

Keep you're eyes open tomorrow for DFO announcement to get all the details.

Knudy, I believe 172,000 was the estimated run size and that is very low. I could be wrong but I remember hearing that 300,000-400,000 spawning adults was the target for the system. I enjoy sockeye fishing as much as the next guy but this opening, albeit for all user groups may be premature. The nets will clean it out in the hurry.

I agree with Langer. I love sox fishing but if the numbers are low, lower, lowish, maybe on the low side..... Leave it closed. I understand that local business are hurting but to open it this late in the season makes no sense to me. It's the long weekend and I don't think that the reactionary influx of business for the long weekend opening is enough to make it worth risking future stocks. That's just a sport fisherman's opinion. Love to hear others too. Maybe this is a discussion for another thread.

Was running the canal early this morning to fish Barkley..it seems some people wanted to jump the gun as there was 6 or more boats already trying to catch sockeye..LOl

category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN0608-Recreational - Salmon: Sockeye - A portion of Subarea 23-1 and 23-2 to 23-11 - Opening July 1, 2017

The finfish closure in part of Alberni Inlet (portions of Subarea 23-1 and
Subarea 23-2 and 23-3) implemented on June 14, 2017 as outlined in FN0536 has
been lifted.

Effective 00:01 hours Saturday July 1, 2017 until further notice the daily
limit for sockeye salmon will be two (2) sockeye per day in Area 23, Barkley
Sound and Alberni Inlet except for:

The tidal portion of the Somass River (which will remain closed) described as
that portion of Subarea 23-1 from the tidal boundary signs at Paper Mill Dam on
the Somass River downstream to a line commencing at a boundary sign in upper
Alberni Harbour situated at 49°14.19 north latitude and 124°50.23 west
longitude thence through the southern most point of Hoik Island then to the
flashing green light at the mouth of the Somass River, then due east to a
boundary sign on the opposite shore.

Variation Order # 2017-339 and 2017-340.

On June 29, 2017 Department staff met with the Area 23 Harvest Committee to
discuss fishery planning for Area 23 Somass Sockeye. The attendees at this
meeting were representatives from the Tseshaht, Hupacasath and Maa-nulth First
Nations and stakeholders from the commercial gillnet and seine fishery, and the
Alberni Valley Sport Fishing Advisory Committee.

The pre-season forecast for Somass sockeye was 172,000. A run reforecast was
not provided today due to a high level of uncertainty around run timing and an
unexpectedly low proportion of age 4 fish that usually provide a significant
contribution to the later part of the run. As a result, fisheries are being
planned conservatively based on a total estimated run to date of 210,000 and a
16% harvest rate. At the meeting the Area 23 Harvest Committee recommended
opening the tidal recreational sockeye fishery with the exception of the tidal
portion of the Somass River. The Area 23 Harvest Committee has agreed to
revisit the finfish closure in the Somass River at next week's committee
meeting.

The Somass Sockeye in-season stock assessment program will be in place in 2017.
This program collects escapement, test fishing, catch and environmental
information on a weekly basis. This information is collected and a reforecast
will be made weekly every Thursday for the duration of the season. This may
lead to further recreational sockeye opportunities if conditions warrant.

Fishers are reminded that the Uchuklesit Inlet finfish closure as described in
FN578 is in effect

Hitting the canal around 10 am today on our way down to Bamfield. Any word on where the sockeye are at this morning? Wanted to troll a few up on the way.
TL

Hitting the canal around 10 am today on our way down to Bamfield. Any word on where the sockeye are at this morning? Wanted to troll a few up on the way.
TL
in front of china creek,friend as been there since sat,easy limits in his boat

Just throwing this out there for discussion. Would it not be logical to keep sockeye closed every year until July 1 and monitor escapement no matter what the forecast was for the year? Should the desired number of fish make it through the counters prior to that date then the fishery could be opened earlier. This surprise opening for 2 per day and then bumping up to 4 per day a week later seems illogical. I was out fishing earlier this week and there were a lot of fish caught out there. Running back to Clutesi there were an insane amount of nets in the river. More than I have seen before. Just looked at the fish cameras and there is still a steady flow going through. Looks like the run could actually be healthy.

Just throwing this out there for discussion. Would it not be logical to keep sockeye closed every year until July 1 and monitor escapement no matter what the forecast was for the year? Should the desired number of fish make it through the counters prior to that date then the fishery could be opened earlier. This surprise opening for 2 per day and then bumping up to 4 per day a week later seems illogical. I was out fishing earlier this week and there were a lot of fish caught out there. Running back to Clutesi there were an insane amount of nets in the river. More than I have seen before. Just looked at the fish cameras and there is still a steady flow going through. Looks like the run could actually be healthy.

depending on weather and snow pack and the run itself , the dates can vary over a month !! a couple years ago socks where still being caught in august at bam harbour!.... some years the run is quick and early in june.. so a hard date of july 1 would not work IMHO.

I agree with Baddogg, get the numbers up the river first and then open up the fishery. Not a hard date, just a number thing and then don't just let the mop up crew come in and net everything in site.

How has the fishing been for socks? Thinking of running over tomorrow with my kids. Gotta love that schools out. They love sockeye fishing.

Back