2016 Victoria waterfront and Oak Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get out there while you can. There are certainly still fish around. Despite the Esquimalt Anglers Ramp closure this weekend (AARRRRGGGHHH!!) I managed to get out for a total of 9 hours fishing from Saturday through Monday.

Sat - Bashed around from Oak Bay with a buddy to the waterfront in the rain and chop. We were rewarded with a 28lb white spring to go on his wedding table in a couple weeks. We sure thought it was a Tyee contender which would have been his first....but it scaled out at 27.5 and we added half a lb since we'd bled out. Large anchovy.
Sun - Fished in front of the Breakwater with my two boys from 9-noon. Boated a 12lb red spring, lost a screamer and released a 9lb wild coho. All on 5" AP Anchovy Spoon.
Monday - Breakwater again from 9-noon. 20lb dark red spring in the box. I'd put money on it being an Esquimalt released fish. The eggs were about to pop. I also released about a 15lb wild coho that looked like a spring at first and lost another pin popper. All action on 5" Ap Anchovy Spoon, 5' leader behind an ol' Nootka Flasher.

ALL action for the weekend was 77-99' on the rigger.

That may be it for me for the year for the big springs.....but we'll see. They are there....but won't hang around for long.
I was hoping for another white spring for the smoker. This is part of a 22lb white spring from a few weeks ago and the crew is eating through the white gold quickly!

IMG_6473.jpg

I heard that the 6-10lb feeder springs have returned to Constance in the last week.

Well, my fishing off the waterfront for springs has slowly died down for the year. For the first time since the end of July, I went out today and went 4 hours without a touch. The usual spots havent produced anything but the odd coho and feeder springs in the past 10 days, and it looks like the majority of springs have moved on. Still the odd one kicking around, but lots of water between them. Will probably give it ago again next week but it looks like time to get the spinnin gear out and cast for some coho!

Out front just after first light. Set up the rods and whamo. The reels starts screaming. Grab the rod as it's peeling out the line. Crap I haven't even got my net unfolded yet#@#. With one hand I keep the tip up and use knees and the other hand to get the net together. Yep a gong show!! The fish takes a couple more runs and comes flying out the water. I thought this was odd but it turned and ran straight at the boat and it was gone. But no I reel like a mad man cause there was still something there. Then slack and up comes a half a head. Yep out witted by another mammal. The big jump was probably the fishes last attempt to stay out of the seals jaws. By the looks of the jaw, a spring in the high teens. That's Fishin!!

Out front just after first light. Set up the rods and whamo. The reels starts screaming. Grab the rod as it's peeling out the line. Crap I haven't even got my net unfolded yet#@#. With one hand I keep the tip up and use knees and the other hand to get the net together. Yep a gong show!! The fish takes a couple more runs and comes flying out the water. I thought this was odd but it turned and ran straight at the boat and it was gone. But no I reel like a mad man cause there was still something there. Then slack and up comes a half a head. Yep out witted by another mammal. The big jump was probably the fishes last attempt to stay out of the seals jaws. By the looks of the jaw, a spring in the high teens. That's Fishin!!
great post...sad story....the trouble with being the only boat out, or one of only a few boats, is those damn brown eyed thieves will dog you until they get what they want.
You don't stand a chance.
Need those transient orcas to make a few more passes.

Out yesterday from Flagpole to Brotchie Ledge. Tried every combo I own, bait, hootchies, AP sandlance and anchovie spoons in different sizes and colours. Out deep, in shallow, different speeds, different depths. Nothing. Arggg...

There was tons of crap in the water. Lots of wood, kelp, and eel grass. I never brought in a line to check or change that wasn't loaded with crap so I don't know how effectively I was fishing. I guess we're waiting for coho to show up in numbers.

I love when that happens!!

I went off brotchie, then out to the yellow can, looking for coho. Had the fly rod going anticipating a busy morning....but not a sniff. Spoke with a few guys and they all said not even a hit...

I love when that happens!!

I went off brotchie, then out to the yellow can, looking for coho. Had the fly rod going anticipating a busy morning....but not a sniff. Spoke with a few guys and they all said not even a hit...
Damn. That's my plan for tomorrow.

Fished brotchie to clover today looking for Coho. Two good pin poppers that didn't stick and flipped off a bunch of little dinks that hopefully survive to see another day.

Picked up a couple of chickens today off the South Side of Constance
240' Herring both hit around noon only a few dogs and no other boats.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Fished before school today 630-10. 1 gorgeous 8.5lb winter spring for the bbq and a smaller one released.

Fished all around from 9-3. Only had two hits - both around the gravel pit. First one was a mid teens coho that came up full of stink, jumped a few times and spat the hook. Second one hit right on the surface as we brought the line in to check it! Landed that one, a fat 12lb coho :)

Weekend report: Out friday with a buddy off the front near clover from 2-6pm. Had about 10 hits, 5 fish were springs between 2-5 lbs all released, and also retained a 10lb spring and 7lb spring. Out sunday with the spinning gear for coho. One hatchery pushing 10lbs.
14543432_1237071563023601_1265254086_n.png

Attachments

• 14555833_1237060146358076_274452457_n.jpg
    14555833_1237060146358076_274452457_n.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 60
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back