2016 Victoria waterfront and Oak Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
7-3 shift mostly off breakwater, didn't get a bite til noon with big hit that didn't stick but at 1pm got 20lb red male between breakwater and brotchie. Only other fish was wild coho at 3pm in front of ramp in esq. Didn't see any other fish caught but heard a 30 came in from Mccauley area. Back at it Monday. Think maybe Constance.

Went out around 1500, caught this guy near to Coyote Bank at 15:40. 57lb, 125cm length.
Too many dogfishes thereafter so we gave up trying.
9b5cfd87gw1f7qt15tjdhj21kw2tbe81.jpg
9b5cfd87gw1f7qt0hnw2aj21kw2tbhdt.jpg

9b5cfd87gw1f7qtklbbgpj21kw0vy7s0.jpg

9b5cfd87gw1f7qtky3mu5j21kw2tbqv5.jpg
9b5cfd87gw1f7qtptss9zj21kw0vynf9.jpg

9b5cfd87gw1f7qto6cigzj21kw2tbx6p.jpg

Last edited:
Put in a good shift yesterday around the breakwater and Macaulay. Had 4 pulls over about 6 hours, 3 of them we picked up the rod and nothing there. The last one was lost, a coho. Lol. It goes that way sometimes.

I noticed the pilot boat was being much nicer yesterday. Waiting till he was past the fleet to light up the engines. Also, the RCMP checked a few guys for an hour or so.

Very busy at the ramp, no parking left in the lot by 7 AM.

No launching there next weekend, the ramp will be closed. :confused:

Ran down Haro to try for a Halibut today and it seems they are scarce as Salmon this year.
3 hour shift on the pick produced one lonely dogfish.
I 've got to say it's been a tough year.
don't feel bad Scott! put in 8 hours on Friday in Haro. Everything was right , great bait , right place , right currents . nothing but dogs!!

don't feel bad Scott! put in 8 hours on Friday in Haro. Everything was right , great bait , right place , right currents . nothing but dogs!!

Geez, where did they all go ? :(
We used to troll up 1/2 dozen every summer while fishing for salmon.
haven't had one like that in a couple years.

Geez, where did they all go ? :(
We used to troll up 1/2 dozen every summer while fishing for salmon.
haven't had one like that in a couple years.

They are getting them at the 17 fathom reef all along Coyote Bank and also off Constance.
We picked up a couple last week out that way.
Our usual spots off Discovery, Border Bank and Haro have been slim pickings all year.
Dogfish have been a big problem for sure, but it seems when the halibut bite comes on the doggies take off.
We use herring or salmon bellies.
What's best in artificial bait if you want to avoid the dogs..the stuff we have tried works by not getting dogs, but doesn't get halibut either.

Isn't Coyote bank Border bank? The big white Berkley power grubs work. I sometimes fillet a large herring and magic thread one fillet on each side shiny side out. This works pretty well although you will still get a few doggies on it.

Reactions: Lew
Isn't Coyote bank Border bank? The big white Berkley power grubs work. I sometimes fillet a large herring and magic thread one fillet on each side shiny side out. This works pretty well although you will still get a few doggies on it.

Coyote Bank is the proper name as I understand it, but yes they are two of the same.
thanks for the tip on your grubs

Back out front today 8:30 - 2, got 11lb hatch coho around 10:00 and released smaller wild then no bites rest of day. Saw few other coho caught mostly around McCauley and green can but no springs. Half dozen boats back at ramp were empty handed.

Hey Christoph, either your son's getting bigger or the hali's smaller. I remember pics of fish bigger than him, haha. Nice work on those 2 slabs.

I'm going to follow Chris out next time.....and park a polite distance away.

Covered the 2-7 shift tuesday as well as the 2-5 shift wednesday. Got a 2 shakers, missed a strike, and got a good friend into his first salmon, a nice 52cm long feeder spring tuesday. Backout wednesday and missed a strike, picked up a beauitful hatchery coho about 12-13lbs, and lost a pin popper a long way behind the boat. Combined 9 keeper dungey's in the trap layed off macauley. The weeds have been making it tough to fish the usual tack's, but it would appear that there is a mixed bag of feeders, coho, and maybe even the odd big spring left out there.

Decided to try Constance yesterday after being skunked off the breakwater one too many times.Jigged up 5 or 6 in the 3 to 7 pound range on the slackish tide.Not stellar fishing but an improvement over the last couple of months on the bank.Flat calm beauty day out there.I was the only one out there for a while.

Caught the 6-9am bite before school this morning and picked up 2 gorgeous wild coho both around 10lbs and lost a 3rd. When back after school from 2-5 without a touch.

Attachments

• IMG_20160915_215601.jpg
    IMG_20160915_215601.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 80
Ran out of Esquimalt harbour this afternoon only to get hammered by wind and wave at Ford Rodd lighthouse. It was pretty calm onshore with no sign of whitecaps. But it was a different story once we got out there. Definitely not fishable in my boat. At least not with just me and my youngest boy on board. Maybe if I was with another adult we would have stuck it out. Turned around to fish another day.

Picked up one nice spring today maybe 8-9lbs released and missed a strike! Couple coho kicking around with some feeder springs and the odd big one around to.

Attachments

• received_342669739410005.jpeg
    received_342669739410005.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 93
  • received_342669599410019.jpeg
    received_342669599410019.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 95
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back