2016 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Glad to hear and see reports with some fish in them UC. Any gear other then bait that has been noticeably outstanding this year in the flasher/hoochie/spoon department?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright. Have you all been fishing any further than Heisen? I usually spend a lot of time at big bank anywhere from 23-14m but usually fish outta bmfld. Im headed to Ucuelet this trip and would love to hear that the fishing may be as good or better somewhere a little closer to home/Ucee. A guide buddy mentioned it's better at Heisen lately? Any help with closing the distance for us would be much appreciated UC but understand if thats asking to much ;)

Hyson has been good but settled down a bit lately but if you put time in there decent fish can be caught :) Try closer in a little east ;) Big Bank is good smaller fish though but who knows changes by the day. We like a high paced catch rate, keep the guests busy and happy. If they want a shot at a Tyee then the game plan changes, location and patience is required that day.

Last edited:
Alright. Have you all been fishing any further than Heisen? I usually spend a lot of time at big bank anywhere from 23-14m but usually fish outta bmfld. Im headed to Ucuelet this trip and would love to hear that the fishing may be as good or better somewhere a little closer to home/Ucee. A guide buddy mentioned it's better at Heisen lately? Any help with closing the distance for us would be much appreciated UC but understand if thats asking to much ;)
Bog bank was full of really small small springs sub legal when we tried last week, Hyson/ starfish was better.

Thanx guys. N Yeah the white/glow hooch with the lil bit of rainbow tint, if not getting down and dirty, is definitely in the batters box. I will be in touch a lil closer to launch date and post daily when I'm fishing.

Just got off a great day at rats nose action for springs was on fire in the am at slack. Hard to make it down to the bigger guys though with all the coho and small barely legal springs. Most lures worked well especially anything with chartreuse glow fished herring as well and it caught two of our five bigger springs. Weather was flat calm today hopefully it holds. It would seem more fish are pushing through which is encouraging. Going to try star fish tomorrow.

Juby

chased in by afternoon breeze today. Yesterday made it o hyson, with a large number of other boats. Massive bait balls on screen. Bite came on for hours. We got out spring limit with a 25 and a 30, being biggest. Coho at under 50 ft showed up. Hatchery vs wild, was one for one. More shakers in last few days. Bigger boats getting fish today. A lot of happy campers on the dock last night with successful charters. Quite a few at cleaning station. Very good day, hoping to get back out tomorrow.. friends boat came in with there spring limits yesterday, up to 20..

My wife and I fished out of Ucluelet Thursday,Friday and Saturday.We came home with 4 springs and 2 coho.The biggest 26lbs the rest in the high teens..We fished the slop around the red can buoy until my wife said she was getting sick. We then went to Great bear and got 2 in the high teens . I would not say stellar but at least we came home with fish not like the last time.

My daughters look forward to their Nootka trip each summer but I am considering someplace else this year due to the dismal reports coming out of Nootka. Never fished the Ukee area before but it doesn't sound too bad on this forum. Would a 19' boat get us safely to any good spots around there this weekend? Anyone interested in pointing us to some good places to give a try? Thanks in advance.

My daughters look forward to their Nootka trip each summer but I am considering someplace else this year due to the dismal reports coming out of Nootka. Never fished the Ukee area before but it doesn't sound too bad on this forum. Would a 19' boat get us safely to any good spots around there this weekend? Anyone interested in pointing us to some good places to give a try? Thanks in advance.

A 19 foot boat is fine for the Ucluelet area - just have to watch the wind and fog. The red can is just outside the harbour mouth and should be productive this time of year. Cree Island and Meares Bluff are two other good spots located in the Broken Group - their about a half hour run from the harbour mouth in good weather. Theirs also several close offshore spots - the Turtle Head is roughly 5 miles from Ucluelet (look for a turtles head on the chart southwest of the harbour mouth) and the Adipose is another good spot which is about 6 miles (a curve that looks like an adipose fin). If your more into inshore fishing their can be great coho fishing off Crow Islet which is not far from the harbour. The navionics web app is a great resource:
http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#@7&key=wdhnHfskxV and if you use the search function forum members have posted lots of info for the Ucluelet area . Good luck and enjoy the scenery!

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#@7&key=wdhnHfskxV

I fish out there with an 18ft aluminum boat and follow the pack offshore as weather allos. There are quite a few 17-19 ft'ers in Ukee right now. As tipup says, there are quite few inside places near and far to fish. Turtles head was producing 3 days ago, and along the shore for the first 2 miles, had 30 plus boats. Son in law, did well near the red can buoy. At the boat basin ( commercial docks) sporties will help u out. The guides are also very helpful.. I will be back there this weekend.

I believe its pioneer boat works, beside jamies and the aquarium, they have charts with all the current spots and names marked on it, and will gladly show u the current hot tackle.

Last edited:
Hi NootkaFisher. Back in the 80's I ran a 14ft Livingston up there. The locals would fish the beach in 10ft tinny's. I believe the Island West Marina has a paper chart on the wall with marked fishing locations. Earlier in this thread somebody posted a picture showing the Starfish/Amoeba/Hyson which is about 10-12 miles west of Ucluelet. Fishing might be fine in the area inside the red can and close to shore between the Light House and Little Beach. Run the gear at 40-70 feet of cable in 50-100ft of water. Inside Little Beach in the kelp can produce. White Octopus size Hoochie's have been known to produce as well as bait.

First I'd like to say hi to all, I've been lurking on this site for a while and gaining some good Intel ocasionaly, so thought it only right to do the same. Got to Ukie Friday afternoon and headed to Wya for an afternoon as we heard report of some fish there. No takers in 2 hrs so we headed to turtle head for a couple more with no Luck. Saturday we headed back to Wya and ended up with 4 springs and a hatch coho for the day. Sunday we started back at Wya trolled around for an hour and a half in pretty much a gong show of guides and sporties, after not seeing much being hooked we decided to head out to Starfish. It was a bit lumpy heading out but quite fish able when we got there. First spring 23# within the first 5 min and a high teen shortly after that. Then we got into the Coho and it was pretty much mayhem after that with not even being able to get lines into clips without a fish hitting on the surface and when you could you wouldn't get down more than 75' without one on. There was a lot of large hatcherys to 12# and did not take long to get our 6. After we cleared the big school of ho's we picked up 3 more teeners and then it seemed to die off. Monday we got a late start and talked to a couple that came back with there 4 chinooks, they said there was a good bite at Wya again so we headed there thru some pretty good ground swells. It only took 2 passes to see that the bite had faded without a net coming down on at least 30 boats. So back to starfish with an easy ride once we got off shore. When we arrived back at same spot as yesterday we dropped down and started with a couple more hatchery cohos releasing any under 8# then the springs turned on with 3 in the boat in short order all teeners once again. Then we found another big school of coho and once again mayhem with 3 on at a time 2 in riggers and one on surface troll. Did not take long to get our limit and we released a 20ish and another hi teen spring. We only seen 1 other boat in the area while we were there so it was quite nice not having to put up with the crowds inshore. Hali were very elusive for us this trip but did hear some reports of some but seen very few at cleaning table.

very large amount of coho;s up to 16 lbs , showing up off starfish, hard to find springs, with continuous action of coho;s.. weather has been less than 10 knots off shore and HOT and sunny. Lots of hatchery mixed in..lot of happy people on docks yesterday and today in UKKEE

Back