2016 Tuna Adventures

Sculpin

It's already June and the water down South is warm with reports of tuna being caught off Oregon. The Washington crews are talking about checking it out this week.

Everything is late again for me this year due to work. I just renewed my Terrafin and will be watching it closely. Going to get the gear ready to go this week so it's done.

I think I feel a fever starting........the sickness is coming:confused::p. Bring it on :cool:.

Who's going to be the first? Who's ready to go?

Last edited:
You and me both. I'll be out at Neah Bay on June 24 and the WA state salmon season doesn't open up until July 1. So depending on weather and terafin shots, I may give tuna a go that weekend.

Yes - it's looking like next weekend might be a possible tuna fishing weekend for me. Weather dependent of course, but I'll have the boat loaded with all the necessary gear so that it can possibly happen. Launching out of Neah Bay WA, likely running on the N edge of the JDF canyon.

Boat is out of the water for a bit, but hoping to make it near the end of the month for JUNA this year.

Mark picked up fish the next day too - ( from his FB page )

It will be Twife and I going out if fri or sat has ok WX - Seadna, what ch. for you? Looking at ripchart multi blend SST, Nitnat might be our starting spot. We should be in radio range if you are in JDF

I'm thinking that someone will catch a sport caught june tuna this year. Its looking good out there.

Mark picked up fish the next day too - ( from his FB page )

It will be Twife and I going out if fri or sat has ok WX - Seadna, what ch. for you? Looking at ripchart multi blend SST, Nitnat might be our starting spot. We should be in radio range if you are in JDF
I monitor 16, 68 and 69. I can monitor other channels also. My boat is named "Meant to Be". From what I can see on Terafin, we'll likely start out on the south edge of JDF but that could change if we get a good satellite image today or tomorrow. Also, I get good mobile service with Verizon out to about 50 miles off shore so if you want PM me and we can talk on the mobile phone. Another option would be to exchange MMSI #'s if your radio is programmed with one - that's the easiest way to privately exchange coordinates.

From what I've been reading online, it sounds like the troll bite down south of me has been excellent but they've had a hard time getting live bait stops going. That works better for us without access to live bait. Saturday it looks like it will be like a lake out there with the current predictions from Swellwatch showing, 4-8kt winds all day long and swells of 5' with a 16s period. Should be able to run out and back quickly and troll quite easily. Also with little to no chop, we should have good long distance visibility for jumpers.

I monitor 16, 68 and 69. I can monitor other channels also. My boat is named "Meant to Be". From what I can see on Terafin, we'll likely start out on the south edge of JDF but that could change if we get a good satellite image today or tomorrow. Also, I get good mobile service with Verizon out to about 50 miles off shore so if you want PM me and we can talk on the mobile phone. Another option would be to exchange MMSI #'s if your radio is programmed with one - that's the easiest way to privately exchange coordinates.

From what I've been reading online, it sounds like the troll bite down south of me has been excellent but they've had a hard time getting live bait stops going. That works better for us without access to live bait. Saturday it looks like it will be like a lake out there with the current predictions from Swellwatch showing, 4-8kt winds all day long and swells of 5' with a 16s period. Should be able to run out and back quickly and troll quite easily. Also with little to no chop, we should have good long distance visibility for jumpers.
Good luck. Catch 'em up!

I want, I want! What are the options for chartering? I'm in the Okanagan so it could be quicker to drive to a Washington location than the ferry to the BC coast, just Victoria is 8 hours from here.

Anyone head out over the weekend?

Or giving it a go this week? Boat just went back in the water and the boy and I are thinking about it.

Temps at 58.5 on Terrafin

Anyone head out over the weekend?

Or giving it a go this week? Boat just went back in the water and the boy and I are thinking about it.

Temps at 58.5 on Terrafin
We went out on Sat. Got a little bit of a late start so we were off the dock with a full load of fuel and ice around 8:30. We ran out from Neah Bay and then went SW along the S. edge of JDF Canyon. Temps slowly rose to about 60 F by the time we hit the 4000' contour. There was no sharp break to be found, just a slow, gradual rise in temps. The water beyond about 3000' was gin clear. We saw most of the usual "good" signs - lots of thresher sharks, a few sunfish, plenty of whales and a few harbor porpoises. We didn't see any jumping tuna, not much in the way of birds hitting the water and no pacific white sided dolphins. By noon, we had no obvious signs of fish but I decided to put out the troll gear anyway. We continued father south along the roughly 4000-4500 contours. We found some water as warm as 62F but again no sharp breaks. Around 1PM, I saw a single jumper who came out of the water about 30' in front of the bow. A minute or two later, we had one hookup. We landed that fish - maybe a 10# albacore and we did a few circles around that area - nothing. We then trolled a bit farther south until we were probably 10-15miles south of La Push and about 45 miles offshore. There seemed to be less life farther south (which is not what I expected) and the temps dropped down to about 60F. I turned around and trolled back N until 5PM and then we headed back to port. The water wasn't as smooth as I had expected so the trip back in was done at about an average speed of 22-24kts. We arrived at port around 8:30PM with only one fish on board. So, the bottom line is that there are some tuna out there but we don't yet have the concentrations they are finding out of Westport.

Good day fellow tuna slayers... I was in the tuna shootout last year and plan on going out in August and the shoot out again in september. I learned alot last year however i never got the madness happening like others. I did run a W Patern with 4 hand lines , and 3 rods. I caught one or 2 at a time. So question is, what do you do when you get one on your line. some say just drag it, some say slow right down and wait, some say keep going and chum, some say to loop around, and one said stop pull gear and start jigging. Well the weather last year was challenging so didn't get alot of time out there. this year Im going to go out earlier in the year and get practiced up. i did have the right gear, struggled to understand location but i think i get that now,(structure) and the water was 62 so was in the area for sure. advice is always appreciated.

We were lucky in that we found Tuna every time we tried last year. But did have one trip where they were everywhere but we couldn't convince one to bite!
We trolled exclusively. This year we're going to try Jigging and Live Bait (I hope).

Usually we would get a couple of hookups at a time, and we'd slow down after a few seconds. This year we might try running a little longer in a slow turn before we slow down.

The Jigging/Live bait will be given a shot when we can't get them to bite on the troll or when they are everywhere like they were a couple of trips last year.

Looks like getting to 59.5 on Terrafin off Clayquot. Band seems pretty continuous, but a little closer than usual when we went out last year.

Friday looks great on Windyty (at the moment), kinda itching to give it a try then.

We are gearing up to hit it Friday. What better way to kick off Canada's birthday then catching some tuners!:)

We will be at Salmon Beach on Thursday evening and making the last minute call on where we are heading that night. Anyone else going for it?

We are planning for Friday, still looks good enough at the moment.

Back