2016 Tofino Reports

thx for the reports guys
i take what i can get lol, appreciate all posts , reports , pics , keeps the blood flowin ,
most educated guys on here take the various posts, get a pretty good idea on what an area is doing ,
the negative posts are usually from the guys lookin for a free meal , not wanting to put there time in ,
or are just miserable and have nothin better ta do , if we all put up exact reports on locations and gear etc...
the location would infested with hundreds of boats in no time , no one wants that ,

keep the info comin , i help where i can , most appreciate it !!

" There just around the Corner "

10 days next week , cant wait !!

fd

Sorry about the late reports.....back late on Sunday and life has been busy (and exhausted) the past 2 days since the end of Mancation 2016. ;)

As Fishtofino has been saying....the fishing really picked up. We were a bit worried as it seemed a bit quiet prior to us arriving.

Thursday we ran up to the Flemish Cap just south of Estevan.....the water was a bit sporty but we had a good day. Managed 7 nice springs....had a few releases due to what we'll call "issues"...haha.

Much like was mentioned in one of the last posts on the Esperanza thread.....WindyTy was definitely the better forecasting tool. We spent the following 2 days at Raffle (sp?) off of Flores and the wind that Env Can was predicting to build through the day did the exact opposite. The seas laid down to a very manageable 'fishy' swell with zippo for wind chop to speak of. We got our limits of springs to I think 27lbs....plenty of lings and shy on hali's; in saying that we only anchored up one day for hali's and picked the odd up off the troll. Biggest hali was 45ish I think.

For us....bait was working 'okay' but plastic definitely was the hotter ticket and one hoochie in particular was getting 75% of our fish. I have no idea as to the colour combo but have a pic on my phone I'll add later.

All in all I would definitely NOT say it's 'doom and gloom' out there....we did work for our fish but were well into the teens of hookups on springs each of the first 2 days. Day 3 was only chasing down 1 last spring and then white fish.

The extra bonus......was late in the afternoon on Friday when one of the other boats comes trolling right toward us as we're getting close to pulling the lines. About 40 feet off our starboard side a well endowed gal walks to the gunnel and fakes that she's going to flash us.....then the fake ended and we were treated to an outstanding view of a great representation of the upper female anatomy. :) :cool: Funny thing....we got our last fish right after and headed in. (Sorry no pics as we were too busy gawking)

One other funny anecdote is that I know a few other guys on here are staunch in their beliefs that Hawkins brand Cheezies are a must do for being on board and we always sacrifice one to each side of the boat to start the day....long standing tradition. :p Well we were in a lull with the odd hit now and then and one buddy had gone '0 for 3' on hookups....we kept him on the rod as we were dying laughing at when he lost each fish. Anyhow....it was late morning and I realized we forgot the cheezies to the ocean gods.....I tossed one to each side of the boat and no word of a lie within 45 seconds we were into a double header and boated both fish. :D Never underestimate the power of Hawkins Cheezies.....they are fishing tool that many do not carry in their kit. ;)

Last edited:
Never underestimate the power off Hawkins Cheezies.....they are fishing tool that many do not carry in their kit. ;)

never never leave home without them :)

Way to go Pippen! The Hawkins cheesies were a well guarded secret passed down from Freemasons fishermen to their sons. You have now effectively ruined WCVI Chinook stocks singlehandedly by sharing that information!!!:D

Never underestimate the power off Hawkins Cheezies.....they are fishing tool that many do not carry in their kit. ;)

never never leave home without them :)
You forgot to add Never not have your phone camera ready to share a siting of twin peaks.

Pippen you will get banned from this site if you miss a pic like that again, Go Leafs Go :)

The extra bonus......was late in the afternoon on Friday when one of the other boats comes trolling right toward us as we're getting close to pulling the lines. About 40 feet off our starboard side a well endowed gal walks to the gunnel and fakes that she's going to flash us.....then the fake ended and we were treated to an outstanding view of a great representation of the upper female anatomy. :) :cool: Funny thing....we got our last fish right after and headed in. (Sorry no pics as we were too busy gawking)
I wonder if she was just trying to make the boobs in the other boat feel more at home...........:eek::confused::D

BTW great trip reports, Pips and FT. I think I'll look at Tofino for next year. Haven't fished up there since 1993 when I was in an old 14 1/2 Hourston Glasscraft and we never ventured any further than wilf rocks and catface. Back then the fishing was outstanding.

Should have mentioned as well regarding depths.....generally in water no deeper than 150ish give or take and we were getting them all up and down. 30-40....down to bottom but that magic 111ish range was serving us well. ;)

I will admit when I am wrong
Sorry guys...and Fishtofino..keep posting and wishing you good fishing!
Spring fishing is picking up for sure.

Thanks for that fogged in.

I'm not trying to promote myself, just keep every one's spirits up because it has been slow down Island.

They are on the way!

Man you have no idea.......started sending out texts trolling for a partner for a Tofino trip.......be nice to fish some old haunts again. Shawn, how is transient moorage these days?

Darin

Marina West ( ex Weigh West) is it unless you can raft up at the Govt dock.

Be warned, the old haunts aren't producing yet. We are running over 20 miles right now to where the bite is.

Post of the decade!! I must have already been heading in but i'm sure i know what boat it was as she was chatting it up like a drunken sailor on the radio....classic stuff

Tofino fishing is nuclear right now and all the colours in the spectrum are fireing including the tuna. Some Springs coming in over 40lbs. Wow. This is how it goes when I leave town

Back