2016 Sooke Reports

Hey rummy
I agree...it has been slow for sure everywhere on the South Island
nothing wrong with posting good and BAD and I agree....get out and give it a go, cause every day is a new day and could come on any time!
But no need to try and make it look better than it is.
We did ok off Sooke today...two springs in the low teens and some smaller we released.
Spoons and bait 60 to 90'

That sounds encouraging FI. It is what it is-review your tactics, try something different, You may have to work a bit more but being negative usually gets sloppy presentations and baits left too long without a check. Almost a self-fulfilling prophecy!

Hey rummy
I agree...it has been slow for sure everywhere on the South Island
nothing wrong with posting good and BAD and I agree....get out and give it a go, cause every day is a new day and could come on any time!
But no need to try and make it look better than it is.
We did ok off Sooke today...two springs in the low teens and some smaller we released.
Spoons and bait 60 to 90'

Excellent post, thanks fogged in.
What's better? A day chasing fish or a day at work, doing chores, errands, netflix?
All this doom and gloom in all the reports is getting a little silly so everyone quit wishing and go fishing

I love this forum. Wrong on so many levels and major negative. Anyway it's a reports page let's move on.
Disagree with you SpringV totally. Rum Buddies is right on and it is self delusional to be a Pollyanna and claim all is right with the world. Yes we enjoyed our day on the water. But to pretend all is well fishing wise for early July and that my post and Rum Buddies was unduly negative is wrong. I post all my reports whether I catch or not Most people do not. I am just being honest and clear. Take a look at the Victoria thread. The same honest reporting is on there. Yes, the fish will probably arrive eventually , and I will keep trying until they do. It is fishing and not catching. I agree. But do not pretend everything is rosy in the garden. You are doing the salmon stocks a big disservice by so doing.

Was out on Tuesday mid day and Thursday evening, with Thursday evening being the best for fishing (actually, the newbs on Tuesday lost the fish that bit so it is hard to compare). Lots of bait but not many fish to the boat and nothing big but it'll happen yet. The one chinook we did keep was STUFFED with needle fish under 3''. Seeing the coloured water leaving the basin on an ebb was interesting, I'd never have thought the water mixed that way out in the straight. Shows me I have much to learn about reading currents. There was a definite distinction between the basin water and the jaun de fuca water that extended way out past possession point, Secretary island, and over towards Washington. I'm not sure if that was the beginning of the flood or a back eddy formed by the strong ebb.

Fished for a couple of hours with my kids tonight. Started at the trap and then fished back to Aldridge.
Saw 1 fish played and lost and 2 fish landed. Both looked decent. We had 1 pin popper that did not stick.

Not bad for an evening with about 6 boats in site.
Marked lots of fish and bait.

Looking forward to tomorrow morning.

Tips

Yes it HAS been slow at times but sometimes good I really dont want to write a report on here anymore as then ill get a e-mail saying im full of BS again, im picking up a couple everytime out some big some small its fishing .....ive let a few go.
But it seems people would rather talk about the negative as it makes them "feel" better and justified why they cant catch a fish!!!!!!! Alos have you even bothered to look at what the conditions have been last 3 weeks?? WIND WIND AND WIND and huge ebbs if you dont understand it then shut up Im so annoyed by this attitude on this forum sometimes its all nega tive
If you dont go out for 3 weeks and then go and your disappointed you should sell your boat take up golf which would probably be cheaper, and buy fish from a market...
it will improve trust me.......

[QUOTE="
But it seems people would rather talk about the negative as it makes them "feel" better and justified why they cant catch a fish!!!!!!!
QUOTE]

Hey Roy
I think your comment about people that "can't catch a fish" is very disrespectful.
These are honest people who don't fish every day and don't have the experience you have, but what they are saying is fishing SO FAR has not been as good for them as it has been in other years.
THEY ARE NOT BEING NEGATIVE, JUST TELLING IT LIKE IT IS.
No one should be emailing you saying you are full of BS because you are catching fish!
I have not seen any posts saying that?
I think most would agree that fishing been the slower SO FAR this year off Nanaimo, Sidney Oak Bay, the Waterfront, Sooke and Port Renfrew.
Do you agree with that?
Even you had a tough time this spring catching Halibut as consistently as you did last year ...eh?
And from your posts it appears you are not getting AS MANY Sooke salmon this year as you did last year?
Keep posting and keep your customers happy....you are without a doubt one of the highliners and a valuable contributor to this forum, but it appears your frustration with the DFO and the slower fishing is showing.
And yes most would agree with you when you say "it will improve trust me......." and hopefully we will return to last years DFO regulations on the 15th.

Last edited:
Yes it HAS been slow at times but sometimes good I really dont want to write a report on here anymore as then ill get a e-mail saying im full of BS again, im picking up a couple everytime out some big some small its fishing .....ive let a few go.
But it seems people would rather talk about the negative as it makes them "feel" better and justified why they cant catch a fish!!!!!!! Alos have you even bothered to look at what the conditions have been last 3 weeks?? WIND WIND AND WIND and huge ebbs if you dont understand it then shut up Im so annoyed by this attitude on this forum sometimes its all nega tive
If you dont go out for 3 weeks and then go and your disappointed you should sell your boat take up golf which would probably be cheaper, and buy fish from a market...
it will improve trust me.......

Hi Wolf. I'm sorry you get nasty emails from anglers jealous of your success. That is totally uncalled for, and I'm sorry it has soured you on posting on the forum. As a long time member I have enjoyed reading all your very helpful posts over the years. You have posted some of the most useful information that this site has ever seen. I miss all the great stuff you used to post. Please try not to let the trolls get to you. You are a true professional as far as guides go, and it's great to hear anything you have to say on the forum. I have found you to be one of the most helpful, well informed guides to ever post here. Please don't let a few idiots keep you from participating here. Many people look forward to reading your great insightful fishing tips. I thank you for all your great posts over the years, and look forward to reading many more from you.

Appreciatively: TheBigGuy

Keep posting Roy. I enjoy all your posts good and bad. Always great information to help the amateur angler. There are always negative people on any forum so just ignore them and don't let it bother you. Real friends appreciate the advice.

Fished for a c
Fished for a couple of hours with my kids tonight. Started at the trap and then fished back to Aldridge.
Saw 1 fish played and lost and 2 fish landed. Both looked decent. We had 1 pin popper that did not stick.

Not bad for an evening with about 6 boats in site.
Marked lots of fish and bait.

Looking forward to tomorrow morning.

Tips

It was a good morning at the Trap. Didn't have to work to hard for them today.

Hey wolf, I agreed with TBG, I do really enjoying reading your posts. You have a great heart and help everyone. We like you. I hope you are staying here.

Cheers
D

Fished Otter to Muir this morning.
Hooked about a dozen small fish. Kept 3 BBQ size. Biggest about 8 lb.

Water was great.

First time fishing Sooke today and had a blast!! Nice to meet you at the launch Tips up! I didn't put any fish in the freezer this time, but the fiesty wild coho and 89 cm oversize wild spring made my day. Caught both fish solo at Secretary after I dropped my seasick crew off at 7:30 :) Green & chartreuse coyote spoons with same coloured flasher were the ticket for me. Great launch, nice guys and everyone was patient when there was a decent line to pull out this afternoon. I'll be back next Saturday and hopefully I can flop another fatty in the boat that I'll be able to keep if the regs. change?!

Last edited:
First time fishing Sooke today and had a blast!! Nice to meet you at the launch Tips up! I didn't put any fish in the freezer this time, but the fiesty wild coho and 89 cm oversize wild spring made my day. Caught both fish solo at Secretary after I dropped my seasick crew off at 7:30 :) Green & chartreuse coyote spoons with same coloured flasher were the ticket for me. Great launch, nice guys and everyone was patient when there was decent line to pull out this afternoon. I'll be back next Saturday and hopefully I can flop another fatty in the boat that I'll be able to keep if the regs. change?!

I thought the green and chartreuse were the colours of the seasick guys you had to dump back at the dock. Glad to hear you had some luck. Thanks for the report. :)

Fished Trap from 1000-1400, lots of fish, nothing of any size. Everything stuffed with sand lance.

Trailer got run into at the public launch by a white vehicle with lots of plastic, I think they got the worse of it.

Last edited:
Fished from 11:30 to 3:00 today started at Otter and then trap to Allridge. Caught 5 springs under 5 lbs released all of them. Then right when I was going to call it a day picked up a 17 lbs at Allridge. I fished bait on one side and an Iron Nogin Water mellon colored spoon (Swiftsure) on the other side. All fish were caught on the Iron Nogin spoon, had no hits on the bait.

Here is picture of the spoon
http://www.ironneedlelures.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=33&product_id=54

Fished from 11:30 to 3:00 today started at Otter and then trap to Allridge. Caught 5 springs under 5 lbs released all of them. Then right when I was going to call it a day picked up a 17 lbs at Allridge. I fished bait on one side and an Iron Nogin Water mellon colored spoon (Swiftsure) on the other side. All fish were caught on the Iron Nogin spoon, had no hits on the bait.

Here is picture of the spoon
http://www.ironneedlelures.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=33&product_id=54
That s an excited news. I would like to know what size do you use the nog spoon ?

Back