2016 Sooke Reports

First Sooke fish of the year, 7:30 to 10:30 am. Two smallish springs on bottom rod at 90 feet. Both with the current between the Trap and the Head. Didn't see much going on.

Was out for first light today at sheringham got into 3 springs. Starting to show up but still a bit spotty out there. Purple chrome/ purple onion setup was good for 2 of the fish.

Fished Whirl Bay yesterday, a couple of other boats out there as well. Slow, Slow, Slow. Fished for three hours, not even one strike. I saw one boat net a fish and that was it. I spoke to him as he trolled by and he said that was his only strike of the day, he was at 70 feet on anchovy. Bait showing up on the sounder but no love on the rods.

This thread has been so slow I thought I better put up a fish to show everyone there is the odd one out there. Somebody will win $2,000.00 on Saturday in the Kiss My Chinook Derby, maybe with a fish like this one. 26 pounder taken at 1 pm close to Point No Point. Kept another about 4 pounds and that was it for the day, so not hot yet.

Well at least we are fishing...

Subject: FN0534-Recreational - Salmon: Chinook - Area 19 and 20 - 2016 Zone 1 Management Actions

Further to FN0523, the Department will be managing fisheries based on
management zone 1 (i.e. returns to the Fraser below or equal to 45,000 chinook)
for Fraser Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook.

Effective Dates: 00:01 hours June 18 until 23:59 hours July 15, 2016

Waters: Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subareas 20-4 and 20-5

Management Measures: The daily limit is two (2) chinook which must be either
wild or hatchery-marked if between 45 and 85 cm or hatchery marked if greater
than 85 cm.

The minimum size limit for chinook salmon in these waters is 45 cm.

Variation order 2016-276

This thread has been so slow I thought I better put up a fish to show everyone there is the odd one out there. Somebody will win $2,000.00 on Saturday in the Kiss My Chinook Derby, maybe with a fish like this one. 26 pounder taken at 1 pm close to Point No Point. Kept another about 4 pounds and that was it for the day, so not hot yet.

Nope it's got a fin perdy nice tho

And here I thought it was a Yankee miss clip!!!

I went out to make use of the evening light and set the anchor for halibut. DOGFISH DOGFISH DOGFISH. I had to change one rod to artificial lure and kept salmon belly on the other for scent. At one point I pulled up two dogfish on the same lure.

Oh, caught a couple jellyfish too.

Nice to have the rain.

Took 3 IMG_5801.JPG IMG_5801.JPG buddies out Wednesday evening for night bite, hit a few 5-7 lber's, kept one, then lost about a 12-14 lb'er, came out of the water, head went one way the hook went the other! Tubbed a 84 cm. , then hit 3 more , one over had to go back and lost another kept a 15-16 lber. Good action, my buddy wants to buy a boat!

I've been fishing Victoria the last month with , no luck, so I decided to head out to the old stopping grounds at Otter today. Hit the launch about 6 ish. Fished from 6:45-2:30 from 1st past 3rd and all around the area, from 45' to 110' using anchovies with different heads with different flashers. Nothing, not a sniff. Counted just over a dozen boats, all I saw were 2 small fish being caught during that time. Around 12ish, had a pretty good bait ball that had exposed itself on the surface, made a couple of loops around it, but still nothing.

fished whirl bay yesterday , lot sa bait , 69 feet and 110 ,right on bottom, 4 hits , one keeper 17lbs , chrome red head and betsy, beautiful day , plus 6 beauty crabs from pedder bay ,all action at 7 am when tide swung for about half an hour

Well Sam7 dont know what you were looking at as i saw a few boats on with fish at muir and otter and I managed 2 a 18 and a 19 and let a couple of smaller ones go, thing is your not going to see alot of post because ive been watching and when you only see about 15 boats from secretary to sheringham your not gong to get good data no one is really fishing in the last 2 weeks there has been a few times im the only boat fishing. last weekend with the derby i had otter gordons and muir basically all to my self. DFO has killed the amount of user activity out on the water its basically a ghost town !!!!!! trust me WE ARE NOT THE PROBLEM .... nets across the river are taking more than what 12 to 20 boats in a day EVER will .
there are fish there trust me and its only getting better
58974.png

Last edited:
Back