2016 Sooke Reports

Good spring bite most of the morning today. Steady bites and then a bit of a flurry at low slack. Hit 8 springs but only landed 3 of them. All 16-17 pounds and all reds. Had the spot all to myself until the first boat trolled into the area at 10 am. Started at 6 and left at noon.

Fished the trap this morning with a buddy and his son. Lots of action in tight from 7 to 9am, one 9 lb hatchery to go along with a 14 lb Spring and some others. Gibbs lemon line and a blood nose teaser.

Fished solo at the trap and obrian at first light and got this 32 lb beauty at 40 ft, chrome teaser head. I had to hand bomb the last bit to net him. I finished with a 9 lb spring and went out casting for coho for 1 8 lb hatch. Good morning!
T2

TS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 29421 The best part about the morning was bringing that fish in on my father's revamped Peetz reel. I fought it for 15 minutes or so and I could hear my dad's voice giving instructions, "palm it, Palm it!!"

I fish the old Peetz reels too. I have four I have have picked up from garage sales. The oldest is about 1968 according to the guy at the Peetz factory. All mine have the old wing nut style drag nuts, not the type shown in your photo.

Two decent days fishing Sooke.
Friday kept 12, 15lbs Springs and 2 hatchery Coho. Released several more wild.
Today kept 19lb spring, released a big wild Coho and had at least 10 other hits.
Lots of action to keep busy

Nice fish T2! I chatted with you at the cash register briefly! Thanks for the tidbits of advice.

Out from 10:45 - 1 and ended up with a 14# chinook, 10# hatch and two smaller hatches. Lost two other hatches at the boat and released a wild.
UV Bloody Nose, splatterback hoochie (green and blue) were the ticket behind Madi and Bianca flashers. 55-85ft in 400+.
download_20160903_141336.jpg

Tsquared....congrats on your big fish. I would like to cast a lure from the sandy shore for coho......Is it possible to catch a coho at Gordons Beach without a boat?

Tsquared....congrats on your big fish. I would like to cast a lure from the sandy shore for coho......Is it possible to catch a coho at Gordons Beach without a boat?
I'm not sure about casting from Gordon's, never done it.
T2

I don't think you would have much luck casting for Coho from the beach but anything is possible i suppose? years ago back when you were allowed to keep 4 Coho I was able to catch my limit casting from the rocks at Otter Point so that might be an opton if you don't have a boat?

thanks, I fish with friends in their boats at Otter Pt once in a while...I see very nice beach, I thought it would be great to cast for coho. I think boatin' is better for catchin' coho.

Thinking about heading to sooke around the 17th for a day trip! Will there still be springs kicking around or will there be coho?

With the slow fishing all July and the lack of rain, if weather stays mild and rain holds off a bit, I would be shocked if there wasnt some springs kicking around untill the end of september. That late in the year I would look to fish the Sooke Bluffs, Possesion pt, and otter for the sooke river fish that could be lurking around. You will most likely also have a mixed bag of some coho and chum salmon kicking around. On a side note I got a 20 and 15 lber off Victoria on September 21st last year.

Tight lines!

Thinking about heading to sooke around the 17th for a day trip! Will there still be springs kicking around or will there be coho?
I had a blast with coho this weekend (17 fish in 3 days - 7 kept) and have extended my moorage into October, so there better be coho around :D

It was a good weekend in Sooke. Saturday morning we trolled from Aldridge to Secretary from 7-1130 and picked up a 15 near beachey, saw others catching, then got a 12 and a 22 by secretary. There was bait everywhere, sometimes completely filling the sounder. A humpback came right in close to secretary as well and the slowly moved with us and the time back towards Pedder, as we were limping back with a boat problems. Sunday was thick fog and no significant bite, but we repeated the same route and timing. Lost a 20+ at trap shack, then a few minutes later picked up an 18 in the same spot. That was it for the day. Bait was more dispersed in small balls here and there.

I would like to give a shout out to the guy running his trophy at 30+mph through the fog right at beachey head in extremely limited visibility on a blind corner "slow down asshole!"

Back