2016 Sooke Reports

Out on Saturday. Fished all the usual spots between the Head and Obrien. Also hit the Besfords first. Not a single bite fishing down deep to 200' all the way up to 75'. Beauty of a day before the winds came at around noon.

It was a nice day on Friday, fishing Off Otter Pt. I had to take this one. Just one chinook for the BBQ. Got him on anchovie at 99 ft.

Fished Whirl Bay today from 8 am until 11 am, not much going on. Got one nice one that I had to release, 73 cm, was a great fight though. 80 feet on a anchovy with a bloody nose teaser. Other than that, nothing. Saw one other boat pick up a nice halibut when they were bouncing the bottom. Tried a couple of passes in Pedder Bay on the way back with no luck.

First trip out this year. Fished the morning away in Whirl Bay. Flicked off 2 small 5-6 lbers. Marked some large bait balls which is nice to see. Had a really nice mark and then got a good hit at 120ft on the rigger (closer to Christopher Point) on a no-bananas teaser and UV Crush flasher. Lucky Spring got a free meal.

2.jpg 3.jpg Pedder Bay was good to us today. Firstly it protected us well from the howling westerly and secondly it held a few salmon. I took 3 boys out and they had a blast. My older son Ricardo landed a scrappy 11#er and then lost another fish due to a line tangle. The other two guys had a few surprisingly big rock fish, all of which we were able to return safely - good to see them making a comeback in local waters. A woman in a Striper beside us played a feisty salmon for a while which she eventually landed only to throw it back - the skipper gave it a few nice greetings on its way for the lower Fraser natives. Lots of jiggers on the water - not sure how they did but there were for sure fish around. A number of good bait schools. Our hits came on AP spoon near bottom in 120-140' depth. The keeper had lots of squids in its belly. So technically full size hootchies should have done well too.

Fished Whirl Bay today at 10 am about 2.5 hours. Picked up two hatchery springs, one really nice one just a bit under 17 lbs. Both on Anchovy with a glow no bananas teaser head and both at 125 feet. The smaller spring was full of squid.20160524_131824.jpg

Pick up bait a couple weeks ago whirl bay was out Sunday many bait balls still out there one was squid right in the bay

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    515.8 KB · Views: 82
Heading out on to water on Saturday.... anyone else going Out. Give me a call..#old seadog.

Out fishing from 7-11:30 with a couple buddies this morning. Fished otter to sher Ingham. One bite. One fish.......was able to snap a quick photo before it was released...put up a good fight and swam away strong and healthy....only 200 yards more and we could have kept it!!

Attachments

• 20160528_103724.jpeg
    20160528_103724.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 203
Out fishing from 7-11:30 with a couple buddies this morning. Fished otter to sher Ingham. One bite. One fish.......was able to snap a quick photo before it was released...put up a good fight and swam away strong and healthy....only 200 yards more and we could have kept it!!

That was a nice chromer that you got there and released.....sure was a nice morning. We also released 3 fish, but they were much smaller.

Sudsy, you should have just killed that fish. It's as good as dead after the bear hug. Not trying to be a dick, just a **** poor regulation...

View attachment 27782 View attachment 27783 Pedder Bay was good to us today. Firstly it protected us well from the howling westerly and secondly it held a few salmon. I took 3 boys out and they had a blast. My older son Ricardo landed a scrappy 11#er and then lost another fish due to a line tangle. The other two guys had a few surprisingly big rock fish, all of which we were able to return safely - good to see them making a comeback in local waters. A woman in a Striper beside us played a feisty salmon for a while which she eventually landed only to throw it back - the skipper gave it a few nice greetings on its way for the lower Fraser natives. Lots of jiggers on the water - not sure how they did but there were for sure fish around. A number of good bait schools. Our hits came on AP spoon near bottom in 120-140' depth. The keeper had lots of squids in its belly. So technically full size hootchies should have done well too.
Nice to see you out with the boys!

First real trip for salmon this year, 5 hours trolling out front of Sooke but not much to show for it. Pulled in a small coho, lost an 8-ish pound salmon, and saw lots of single targets and bait on the sounder, and bait observed at the surface. Nice calm afternooon on the water, almost too much sun, and a bunch of orcas going by. I'd do that again.

Two trips out last week Tuesday and Friday, fished Whirl Bay both days. Picked up a single 7 lb Chinook both days. Again at 125 feet, on a bloody nose glow teaser head. Definitely feels slower than last year, and fish are smaller, hopefully that changes soon. Had the whales go by which was a nice way to end the day. Interesting sight for the day was a dead seal pup floating in the rip, had its face eaten off but the rest of the body intact. I assume it would have been a killer whale but funny that they didn't eat the whole seal. Maybe the whales have begun to kill for fun, wouldn't that be a nice way to try and control the seal population....

Fished Sheringham to PNP from 6-9 then Muir from9-11.
Released one undersized. No other hits.
Lots of bait around but did not see a fish caught.

Beauty morning on the water.

Tips

Fished Friday and Saturday. Had 4 to the boat Friday, kept a 6 pound hatch. Green onion and silver coho killer seemed to be doing the most. Then the whales came through around 1. Saturday had one hit at 50' that didn't stick. Also caught a lot of rays from the big ol Sun.

Back