2016 Sidney

Fished a few hours this morning/afternoon. Trolled Coal and Moresby, and then did some jigging around Mandarte. Released 1 barely legal chinook at Moresby and that was it for salmon. Released a bunch of rockfish and small lingcod at Mandarte.

I haven't kept a fish this month yet, so the action has definitely tapered off for me.

Also, Im not sure what the regs are for commercial boats, but one from the prawning fleet was on the east side of Forrest Island in the channel between Forrest and Domville (which is an RCA) for a good hour. I cant say for sure that he was fishing because I didnt see any floats, mind you I wasnt looking that closely. There was also a small white pleasurecraft with a turquoise canvas top that appeared to be trolling in the same area. Again I cant say for sure because I was passing by about a mile away from them, but if anyone knows someone with a boat that fits that description that was out today, you may want to remind them about RCAs. Better they hear if from me/you than a DFO officer!

Permitted Fishing Within Rockfish Conservation Areas

Quillback rockfish

Recreational fishing
  • invertebrates by hand picking or dive
  • crab by trap
  • shrimp/prawn by trap
  • smelt by gillnet
Commercial fishing
  • invertebrates by hand picking or dive
  • crab by trap
  • prawn by trap
  • scallops by trawl
  • salmon by seine or gillnet
  • herring by gillnet, seine and spawn-on-kelp
  • sardine by gillnet, seine, and trap
  • smelt by gillnet
  • euphausiid (krill) by mid-water trawl
  • opal squid by seine
  • groundfish by mid-water trawl
Fishing activity not listed above is restricted.

Well then! Seems a bit peculiar that the commercial guys can still dredge the bottom for scallops, youd think that would be damaging to the rockfish habitat but maybe it just churns up a bunch of food for them. Good to know anyways!

Spent a few hours at Fairfax today through tide change. Fished all depths and switched up the gear a few times without as much as a bite.
Lots of boats out there but didn't see anyone with any action.

Snuck out early this morning for an hour at Saanichton Spit. Happened upon an 8# clipped spring in 60ft of water at 60ft on the downrigger. Ap sandlance. Went over to Coal for the tide change - marked some bait but had no action, so I was back at the ramp by 8:30. 1 other boat at Coal and he had nothing either.

Fished Pender bluffs last Saturday for the first time. About a dozen boats were out when I pulled up at 10ish with a couple of kids in tow. We got one shaker and didn't see any other action. My buddy picked up a 12# there the previous Monday.

We have been out about a dozen times since December when we started fishing out of Sidney. We've fished Coal Isl., Fairfax Point, Sidney Channel and the north end of James Island mostly. We have yet to hook up a keeper. It always nice to get out with the kids, but I sure would like to put a fish or two in the boat!

Have you been successful fishing in other areas, Allbay? It's been fairly slow fishing for me lately as well, but not stumbling upon a single keeper in a dozen trips is either an improbable run of bad luck or maybe youre doing something wrong. Youre fishing at the right locations so you can rule that out. If you have any questions or things youre uncertain about, feel free to shoot me a PM and maybe I can help you out.

Out at coal yesterday from 6-9 pm. Lots of fish around at all depths but they were pretty finicky. Managed to get a hard hitting, fast running 13# clipped on black/silver AP anchovy spoon and chartreuse glow flasher. 75ft of water, 45 feet of cable. Had a couple of strikes on a Baitrix rubber anchovy, but nothing stuck. IMG_20160524_191342259.jpg

Fished Coal last night from 5:00-8:30 with no success. We were marking fish in the back-eddies created by the huge flood yesterday, but not even a sniff.
We tried AP Anchovy, coho killers, white hoochies and glow-green coyote spoons.
Was very windy and was even picking up when we pulled the pin at 8:30.
Hope to get out Sunday for some more Halibut!

Spent a few hours at Pender today and an hour or so at Coal. Nothing to show for it at Pender but we got a nice 11# unclipped at Coal just before heading in. Fair amount of bait on the surface today.

Slow day for us in Haro trying for Hali this morning. Talked to the creel guy at Tulista and he said of the 5 boats fishing for flat cod, no one was successful.

Fished Coal Island from 9-12 this morning. No luck, but couldn't beat the weather!

It was indeed. I dropped the cannonball at 4:55 at Wain rock this morning....nothing. Tried Coal, Sidney Spit, and Fairfax. Marked bait and fish at Coal and the Spit....but no takers.
Might give Halibut a try around Darcy tomorrow.... Have never caught one before so maybe this'll be the day.

It was indeed. I dropped the cannonball at 4:55 at Wain rock this morning....nothing. Tried Coal, Sidney Spit, and Fairfax. Marked bait and fish at Coal and the Spit....but no takers.
Might give Halibut a try around Darcy tomorrow.... Have never caught one before so maybe this'll be the day.
Isn't Darcy in a RCA except for the northern end?

Pretty much, but those halibut nearby don't know where the RCA border is, so as long as you are outside the RCA around Darcy, you might find a halibut heading to the rockfish buffet inside the RCA. Some guys fish west of Darcy, south of Powder wharf.

I caught a few Halibut on the north side of Darcy last year. In fact both in my pic <- to the left came out of the North side of Darcy last year! 65# and 42# drifting

I put in about 2-3 hours in that area Nauti and Jigga.....not a nibble. Also tried off Hamley pt?for a couple hours in about 150' to 180'. Had tons of nibbles there but I think they were just lil ones. Beauty day on the water either way. Wow some of those freighters sure put off a wake....almost s#!t myself outta the corner of my eye comes these 7-9ft breaking surf swells.

Also did abit of trolling for spring first thing at Wain and Coal....no love....I'm smelling pretty skunky lately....something's gotta give soon enough.

Were you anchored up around D'arcy and Hamley or drifting?

I'm interested in trying this area too!

Thx.

Back