2016 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Where is the pillings? Im not familiar with that location...

Wind looks so far so good for tomorrow. Too bad its been slow, I did hear a couple good local reports from the outside this week tho.
The pilings are on texada island. If you leave pender harbour and look towards texada just a hair to the north you will see a clear cut down the side of the island. That's the area

I was trying to find info on the derby this weekend. My understanding is it's a hundred bucks per guy on a boat? This may sound really stupid but what do they mean about the boat auction? Is there one getting auctioned off? What kind is it if so? Sorry I used to be blond before I lost it on the top and the sides went grey.

Its not easy to find info, but a buddy sent me this pic the other day:

1hc9rp.jpg

I'm not sure how the Calcutta draw / Boat auction works as I've never participated in one before. The wind looks good for tomorrow tho so Ill most likely be going down tonight.

edit: I was assuming the auction is buying each other boats and whoever buys the winning boat gets the Calcutta draw, but I'm just speculating.

Thats right Burban, the calcutta is an auction where each boat participating gets auctioned off to the group.
Winning fish gets 1k but person that owns the boat from the auction wins the calcutta $$ (was around 11k last year)
Every one wants to own their own boat so the bidding gets fun.
We came in third last year but broke down and didn't get to fish sun, won the booby trophy lol
Going to present it to someone else this year.

Tough fishing out there.... leader is 20.4 iirc, with a couple 14's trailing. We got a bunch of undersized and 6,7,8lbers barely legals to put us on the board, but it seemed tough to break out of that size class today.

Calcutta is 14k as far I saw at the end of the auction, 15k if you bought your own boat. 1 boat went for 4000, it was a riot watching the auction go down, lol.

Good luck tommorow peeps!

Tough fishing out there.... leader is 20.4 iirc, with a couple 14's trailing. We got a bunch of undersized and 6,7,8lbers barely legals to put us on the board, but it seemed tough to break out of that size class today.

Calcutta is 14k as far I saw at the end of the auction, 15k if you bought your own boat. 1 boat went for 4000, it was a riot watching the auction go down, lol.

Good luck tommorow peeps!
How did the derby finish up? I am thinking of heading up to Secret Cove to fish this weekend. Any reports would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

The 20 took home first place, and they nabbed a 17 on sunday to clinch 1st, 2nd and the Calcutta for a cool 17500. Hell of a purse to walk away with....

Wasn't a ton of fish caught for the 22 (+2 late entries) boats fishing, I didn't count... Id guess around 40-50 judging by my memory of the weigh in sheet...

Lots of bait around Texada but you gotta work for your fish. Epsom was a ghost town.

The 20 took home first place, and they nabbed a 17 on sunday to clinch 1st, 2nd and the Calcutta for a cool 17500. Hell of a purse to walk away with....

Wasn't a ton of fish caught for the 22 (+2 late entries) boats fishing, I didn't count... Id guess around 40-50 judging by my memory of the weigh in sheet...

Lots of bait around Texada but you gotta work for your fish. Epsom was a ghost town.
Thanks, Burban. Last year at this time Epsom was on fire. Hopefully it picks up!

Your right there CC, while there are some fish around, so far its not what it was last year.

Been pretty spotty in pender area this week Some smaller keepers caught at quarry bay. Think I'll be working quarry and Epsom for the weekend. Unless someone else reports different.

Been pretty spotty in pender area this week Some smaller keepers caught at quarry bay. Think I'll be working quarry and Epsom for the weekend. Unless someone else reports different.

We fished Upwood yesterday from 5 to dark. Picked one up and released a couple of undersized. Bait was boiling all around us all night, but it was pretty slow. The fish was caught on anchovies.

Fished Quarry Bay yesterday, lots of bait around. We picked two up on a homeland security spoon (skinny g) and a slow anchoivy roll. Both were around 10 tbs.
We headed home a bit early when the stiff SE picked up.

Does anyone know of any good fishing charters in Madeira Park or Pendar Harbour? I looking to book one for this Saturday for about four hours?

We picked two up at Epsom last night. Homeland and Herring Aid spoons. Lots of action, sent a ton back to live another day. Tough going battling the current and wind.

Ditto for Quarry bay yesterday. Still not real big, 9-10 pounders but still good fighters. Water was pretty sloppy. White hootchie and purple haze flasher got 3 out of 4 keepers.

Is anyone keeping there boat in secret cove or Pender harbor? Just wondering if there is live bait there yet?

Back