2016 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

I fished the last two nights at Epsom. Had my dad out for both nights. 602 worked both nights, both fish were around 10 to 12 lbs. The first night he farmed a pretty good size fish not a big deal though. It was cool having him out on the water enjoying himself, he couldn't believe the way the new sounder/chartplotters work. He was stuck to the screen watching for bait and fish. We have not been on the chuck fishing together since you had to rake your own herring so its been way to long. Big thanks to LiveLines for doing the hook sets for him the first night!

Is it time to repaint the 602 yet? Nice to see you got the old man out!

I was at Bjerre Shoals yesterday got 2 keepers released 2 just under size. Went to Epsom and picked up a 16 lbs linger that was attached to a 6 lbs ling not a bad day. Three of the salmon and the ling were on the 602 plug. chovie for the other

Had a great trip over to Secret Cove area over the weekend. My buddy and I arrived at Epsom on Friday night in time for a really cool moonrise.. We fished the tide but didn't have any action or see much going on. Water was nice and so was the moon rising through the gap..
IMG_2742.JPG IMG_2744.JPG IMG_2742.JPG IMG_2744.JPG

The next morning we trolled Epsom and caught a couple undersized on small spoons. We then headed to Sangster with to hunker down with livies for a bit. A bite came on at around 2 and we got a couple in the low teens .
IMG_2762.JPG

They appeared to be hungry. And angry.IMG_2766.JPG
Shiners were also on the menu.

We over nighted in Pender Harbour but fished for a bit after a meal and caught some of the hip. Saw some bait, but no takers.

The next morning we headed back to Sangster and had fairly steady action. Nothing large, but managed a couple lings as well.
IMG_2793.JPG

Saw a little rain in the afternoon which was refreshing and then headed back home. Great trip and really fun way to fish...
IMG_2796.JPG

Never made it to the French Creek derby. Did lose a screamer but we will never know. Sorry for the sideways pics.

Last edited:
Was out tonight with the HL on my boat at Epsom, we managed to drag up a couple in the 8-10lb range. Both fish were caught on a 602 around 115 ft. Not a bad night as I went 0-4 with my seven year old kid the other night !

Livelines

What size of plugs are you using - 6" or 5"? I am heading up that way this weekend and would love to try using plugs for the first time.

Livelines

What size of plugs are you using - 6" or 5"? I am heading up that way this weekend and would love to try using plugs for the first time.
We mostly have been running 5 inch in both tubby and regular. A lot of the bait around here has been large so it's nice to run a bigger plug and get away from the shakers. So far so good for me, was out tonight and got one and lost one. The keeper was around 9 lbs and we caught it on the 602 regular and lost one on the 602 tubby. Hope that helps, see ya up here !!

First night of actual glass this year, the wind has been relentless this summer! July and August has been somewhat slow in the chinook department on my boat, but last night we broke the tough streak and we went 3/3. 14, 8, 8. Caught on small anchovies, but all three were stuffed with large herring from 6-8". Sangster.

2hnn8xt.jpg

xcipsk.jpg

Holy. $h!t.

Right in our backyard... and I'm out of town all weekend! Good luck chasing Walter boys and girls

After a few weeks off, made the run to Lang bay yesterday. Pretty fishy. Kept 4 nice fish but still only in the 9-10 pound range. Today?? Hmm. Epsom or Lang ??? Decisions decisions.

Having withdrawals no doubt. Sounds like Epsom has fish too.

Teresa and I fished the Pender Bluffs Friday & Saturday. Found a little bait and could only land a undersized chinook so back it went.

After a few weeks off, made the run to Lang bay yesterday. Pretty fishy. Kept 4 nice fish but still only in the 9-10 pound range. Today?? Hmm. Epsom or Lang ??? Decisions decisions.
I would give Lang a try, should be really good with the rain we had. Its the time of the year for that place to go off. FandR how long does it take you from Pender to get to Lang?

I would give Lang a try, should be really good with the rain we had. Its the time of the year for that place to go off. FandR how long does it take you from Pender to get to Lang?
It's about 30 minutes from my dock in pender at 25 knots. Buddy just got back here from the early tide at Lang with 2 mid teen fish. Think I'm gonna head there for the next ride. Then Epsom tonight.

Was out last night from 7 until dark at Epsom, threw back one that was likely just legal and lost one just as it started to run..... Seems to be the way its been going on my boat for us lately !!! Fish were on glow/green splatter back hootchie around the 80ft mark.

Back