2016 Port Renfrew Reports

I hope ur buddy doesnt expect 4 fish like that every trip now, Jackel!

Heading up tomorrow morning for the weekend, any good news from the beach yet?

I was out at Swiftsure several days this past week (U.S. side out of Neah Bay). It was the slowest I've seen in 13 years of fishing there. In a normal year, I don't get a boat limit maybe 1 day out of 20-30 at Neah Bay. This past week, I couldn't limit the boat 3 days out of 5. On Monday or Tues, we got a boat limit (4 chinook for 2 people) by fishing Swiftsure the entire day (until about 5:30PM) and we caught and released about 50 shakers to find 4 legal keeper. The 4 keepers were not that large - most under 10#. I've never, ever encountered so many small fish. Other days were not as good but by Thurs, things picked up a little (at least for us). Yesterday we got 4 by 10AM and the last two were around 14#. Still not huge fish but good size for Swiftsure. We ran all kinds of gear (hootchies, flashers and herring, a variety of spoons and Tomic plugs) at all kinds of depths from 90-300' on the cable. The best performer by far was a "funky chicken" coyote spoon behind a green glow flasher fished at 150' on the cable. Hopefully things will pick up.

Reports from the native and commercial trollers suggest that the Columbia River run is about 45 miles offshore in about 540' of water. That's a long run for a few chinook. We made it out to about 35 miles on a couple of occasions ("Blue Dot" and "Shark Fin") and it was pretty much a desert out there. I guess we should have gone 10 miles farther west.

I was out at Swiftsure several days this past week (U.S. side out of Neah Bay). It was the slowest I've seen in 13 years of fishing there. In a normal year, I don't get a boat limit maybe 1 day out of 20-30 at Neah Bay. This past week, I couldn't limit the boat 3 days out of 5. On Monday or Tues, we got a boat limit (4 chinook for 2 people) by fishing Swiftsure the entire day (until about 5:30PM) and we caught and released about 50 shakers to find 4 legal keeper. The 4 keepers were not that large - most under 10#. I've never, ever encountered so many small fish. Other days were not as good but by Thurs, things picked up a little (at least for us). Yesterday we got 4 by 10AM and the last two were around 14#. Still not huge fish but good size for Swiftsure. We ran all kinds of gear (hootchies, flashers and herring, a variety of spoons and Tomic plugs) at all kinds of depths from 90-300' on the cable. The best performer by far was a "funky chicken" coyote spoon behind a green glow flasher fished at 150' on the cable. Hopefully things will pick up.

Reports from the native and commercial trollers suggest that the Columbia River run is about 45 miles offshore in about 540' of water. That's a long run for a few chinook. We made it out to about 35 miles on a couple of occasions ("Blue Dot" and "Shark Fin") and it was pretty much a desert out there. I guess we should have gone 10 miles farther west.

Thanks for the report. I'm thinking of heading up their in August. More for the Hali fishing than the Salmon. The Salmon reports have been pretty poor this season, but I don't really mind if the salmon fishing is slow as long as there's some good Hali to be had. I also just really like the area. I tend to release most of my springs anyway. Did you run into any big schools of Coho out on the banks. I really enjoy bucktailing for the coho out on the banks.

Thanks for the report. I'm thinking of heading up their in August. More for the Hali fishing than the Salmon. The Salmon reports have been pretty poor this season, but I don't really mind if the salmon fishing is slow as long as there's some good Hali to be had. I also just really like the area. I tend to release most of my springs anyway. Did you run into any big schools of Coho out on the banks. I really enjoy bucktailing for the coho out on the banks.
No big schools. Coho are very rare this year. We did see a few jumping but nothing like in years past. We can't retain any on the WA side so I didn't target them. I caught only 2-3 incidental coho (released) during 5 days of fishing. The coho I did hook were good size for this time of year (~6-7lb) so I expect some big ones come September. But still, they are few and far between and it's best if we leave them alone given the numbers. On the "bright side" (or actually not so bright side), it was easy to get your chinook offering down to depth without having to worry about those "pesky" coho. A few years ago, I used to complain about those "pesky" coho. This year, I'm sad they are not there in anything close to the numbers I used to see. The times (and the ocean) they are a changin'.

Hey Brutus I heard it was bad all weekend. Good to see you on Friday. I will be out Friday to Sunday this week.

Heres a fishing report for the 20 hours of trolling I did this weekend in Renfrew:

The weather was nice! Plenty of sunshine, not much wind at all, the sun rose and set each day as expected, and there were also several tide changes. :rolleyes:o_O:confused:

Heres a fishing report for the 20 hours of trolling I did this weekend in Renfrew:

The weather was nice! Plenty of sunshine, not much wind at all, the sun rose and set each day as expected, and there were also several tide changes. :rolleyes:o_O:confused:
you forget the forty plus boat with the same report lol me included

Probably 40 at camper, and 40 more at logan/walbran! The derby sold at least 200 tickets. I wish I had something better to report, but my biggest fish was a 10# ling. :(

Maybe next weekend?...

I am going up this weekend for a few days. Are the cod and sea bass still taking a lot of the bait. I am wondering how much to brine.

Back