2016 Port Renfrew Reports

Good on you for spending the time to revive the Coho. Mistakes do happen, but I try to make as sure as I possibly can before netting a coho.

I use heavy spectra and a heavy 40 or 50lb topshot with 40 or 50 lb leader on my hoochies. Two big benefits with this rig. You don't have to worry about breaking off a fish, so you can bring it to the boat quickly if it is going to be released. If you fish waters infested with seals you can horse the fish in if a seals after it. Also if a seal does get it, I almost always get the fish back because of the heavy test I use.

There are ways to avoid exhausting and injuring fish. If you've done a lot of catch and release you get pretty good at it.

The guys who net without even checking if it's a hatch fish first should be ashamed of themselves. Even the best regs in the world can't protect fish from guys with no regard for the resource.

Last edited:
If that is the case perhaps the guys looking for hatchery Coho should be using a single barbless hook in a hoochie, and they should not be bringing the wild ones aboard or netting them.

I certainly had no problems all my trips to Renfrew fishing Coho without causing morts. Hoochies work great on coho, and with a single siwash they can easily be released in the water without causing undue harm to the fish.

Just saying, maybe guys need to be more careful in their gear selection and release practices to avoid unnecessary mortalities.[/QUOT u da man lmao

How did people make out yesterday? We went out and got 3 (2 hatch 1 wild). We went in early too wet and cold fishing out of a center console. Time to get that DE hardtop.

How did people make out yesterday? We went out and got 3 (2 hatch 1 wild). We went in early too wet and cold fishing out of a center console. Time to get that DE hardtop.
slowed right down on sunday,looks like fish have moved on lets hope theres more comming,derby winner was 19 pound 14 once

I hope your right. This coho fishery has been a pleasant change to an otherwise lousy fishing season for us. Thankfully we have done well on coho and our freezer isn't looking too bad. We're hoping for one more good go at it this Saturday and then I think that's a wrap for us.

Took my dad from Ontario to Renfrew last thursday. Coho fishing was busy but mostly shakers but the halibut fishing was wicked, got a 71 and 50 lbs, biggest i've ever boated (both of them)! My dad was stoked to say the least. All in a span of 45 minutes. Got to love Renfrew Fishing. Needless to say he's booking his flights for next year this week. Good times!
View media item 310

Back