2016 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Fishing Reports

Hi crazycanuck, we have had a couple of good days with some nice salmon showing up. Last night I wacked 4 springs at Beano and I was the only boat there. I went old school like I use to do for years where you never have a 5 on your fishfinder. Always under 49 feet along the kelp beds with the rod almost touching the kelp. Speaking of that, the kelp beds have almost come back to the original state they were in more than 10 years ago when they got wiped out.

Today Burdwood and around the corner was very good also. We took 10 springs out between all the boats and very fresh looking fish.

I have not been told how the gill netters did on Wednesday night but the radio chatter didn't sound very good.

I was offshore and got some nice bottom fish and picked up a 21# spring at the Bouy.

It would sure be nice if this is a good sign of things to come.

pics to follow.

Codfather

Nice report CF, give a guy a bit of hope. Look forward to the pics!

Great to hear you had a good time. We were the boat in the background just pulling out after a great time at Critter.

Just back after 6 days at Critter. Sunday Aug 14 fished a couple of hours late in the day when we arrived to get orientated but caught nothing. Monday we slept in got out at 1000 off San Carlos and within 5 minutes we are into a 20 lb fish, I lose it. I am thinking the reports can't be as bad as they say..... Fished the rest of and day and nothing. Same thing Tuesday and Wednesday. I covered every area I know...Lighthouse, Hoiss, Camel, San Carlos etc etc. Nothing...a few minor nibbles. We then here a rumour that "Rosa" is hot in Esperanza. Never been there, never fished there, but, I'm not going home without fish....sure I'll run the 30 miles.....We leave Critter at 0605 Thursday morning and arrive at 0705. Lines in the water by 0710 and 5 minutes later we have a fish on. We got 4 Springs in 2.5 hours then the tap shut off. We go back up Friday morning and hit 1 more nice Spring first thing and lost another beauty late in the morning using crappy 40 leader line that broke. All day I'm hearing on the radio about people's catches as we cruise around Esperanza. Not the same chatter on the radio in Nootka btw.... Anyway, one thing I noticed transiting down the Tahsis Inlet right at Tsowwin Narrows was tons of large fish on my sounder. Ah...and this morning we put in a 1 hour shift at Hoiss at managed a small Spring right at 0600. Only fish we got in the Sound all week. And last point, I heard 58 gill netters were participating in the commercial opening last Wednesday in Nootka and they took 14 fish on average each.

The sun has been shining, the wind has been blowing, but with lots of fish still to catch. High pressure systems off the coast have brought strong winds with it. Gale force winds the last week have made getting to the off shore spots difficult at times. Getting out early in the morning before the wind picks up has been key.
8 mile, or the "Pins" as the locals know it have been good for Chinooks and hatchery clipped Coho. 130-160 feet have been the best depths. Hoochies in clover leaf and R40 with half glow half silver flashers have been working well. When the bite slows down it pays to put out some bait. Bloody nose and glow green teasers have been taking fish.

Halibut fishing off shore has been incredible. Limits of good size fish in minutes have been caught. One day last week we had three boats share one anchor and in an hour we all had our limits and released some fish as well. 8 mile and 14 mile have been the best spots. Salmon belly,
Octopus and Mackerel are baits to try.

Inside the inlet we are seeing some beautiful Coho in good numbers now. Chinook are being taken on good bites first thing in the morning or at the high slack. Rosa harbour, Double Island and Garden point have been the best spots. Needlefish pattern spoons and bait trolled slower than you would off shore is the key to success inside. Depths of 30-50 are your best bet.

RO Report A 19.jpg

Just back from my first ever trip to Nootka. What a incredible place, if you have never been it is a must visit destination. We camped at Moocha Bay, incredible facility, very clean and well run. We are easy and used to roughing it so this was a nice surprise. Fished inside only, as we were learning the sound and areas to visit. Five days with 3 young boys 11-15 years and ended up with 8 springs, 2 coho, but worked hard to get those a few guys we talked to had nothing to take home except some good memories. Our fish were almost all taken on small spoons with a small hoochie off the back. trolled at 44' early and a little deeper as the sun got up. As we were leaving we heard some fish were starting to show at Hoiss but they were very deep so if your heading up keep that in mind.
Yes there were 2 nights of gill nets fron Hoiss back into Moocha, talked to a fisheries worker and she said Wednesday was really slow for them best boats were getting 14 or 15 fish total. We actually got caught out the second night and had to weave our way back to camp through that mess in the dark, took for ever and was a bit sketchy, but we took our time and were very careful and respectful. Was disappointed listening to 68 as we went, gill netters on the radio did not help. " maybe he will run into a net and we wont have to worry about him any more" so on and so on instead of offering advice. Hard to feel bad for them when you hear that garbage. I did hear they did quit a bit better the second night based on what they were saying as we worked past them.
WCVI is a wonderful amazing place, something I plan for and look forward to all year. The local fisherman have a different attitude then I am used to here in Washington, so friendly, fun, and willing to swap stories. No place like it. I will be back.

Outforsalmon, the commercial guys are not all that bad, just some of them. I heard some of the chatter as well last week and there are always a few in every crowd. Its a bit disconcerting I agree. In any case, they are only in the Sound a few days a year. Glad to hear you enjoyed your time. Nootka is pretty special and you've seen it in on a slow year.

Last edited:
Hi crazycanuck, we have had a couple of good days with some nice salmon showing up. Last night I wacked 4 springs at Beano and I was the only boat there. I went old school like I use to do for years where you never have a 5 on your fishfinder. Always under 49 feet along the kelp beds with the rod almost touching the kelp. Speaking of that, the kelp beds have almost come back to the original state they were in more than 10 years ago when they got wiped out.

Today Burdwood and around the corner was very good also. We took 10 springs out between all the boats and very fresh looking fish.

I have not been told how the gill netters did on Wednesday night but the radio chatter didn't sound very good.

I was offshore and got some nice bottom fish and picked up a 21# spring at the Bouy.

It would sure be nice if this is a good sign of things to come.

pics to follow.

Codfather
Codfather much appreciated for the report, It definitely sounds a bit more promising and I just hope the weather cooperates ! cheers and nice Lings!

CC

Yeah for sure, not worried about it we had a pretty good laugh the next day. Some of the guys did move out front of their nets or shine their spot lights on where they wanted us to go so your right. The guys on the radio were right in that I did not know what I was doing, we have a gill net fishery on the Columbia but never had the experience of navigating their nets at night. Let alone so many packed into such a tight space like it was up there. So a learning experience for sure. Already planning next years trip, incredible place.
Outforsalmon, the commercial guys are not all that bad, just some of them. I heard some of the chatter as well last week and there are always a few in every crowd. Its a bit disconcerting I agree. In any case, they are only in the Sound a few days a year. Glad to hear you enjoyed your time. Nootka is pretty special and you've seen it in on a slow year.[/QUO

MUR.JPG
I was in Kyuqout from 22nd-25th at Murphys. First evening was just 2 hours trolling, lost 2 at the boat around rigger cable. Not many nookies at the dock that night. First full say 23rd was epic for bottom fishing. See pics attached. There was a late bite inshore for nookies but most people had gone in for the day as there were huge swells offshore. 3rd day was brutal trying to get an under hali. spent 5 hours and got 1. Seemed the same for the rest of the fleet. Inshore had an ok day for salmon if you stick and stayed. Last morning "Murphy's law" great bite by spring island. Most salmon taken on anchovies and bloody nose teasers. Salmon mostly caught on the bottom. Biggest of our group was 27lbs. average about 16. No real coho to speak of. IMG_2141.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh....any reports? I am heading up Wednesday for a couple days.

Fished Esperanza 4 of the last 7 days - 2 northerns each trip most 13-14 lbs, biggest was 17 lbs. Mostly around Centre Island although have seen fish taken at Saltery and Rosa. Not many springs coming in but that might change now that the rain has arrived today.

Just got back from Nootka for the season. I'll post an update ASAP on the last few weeks.

Here is a news clip a buddy sent me.

http://www.cheknews.ca/huge-drop-chinook-salmon-worries-island-fishermen-212

August 25th I was fishing up North and had the radio on channel 88A. I found out Murphy's Lodge is running on that channel and at one point around 1500hrs I heard a female come on the radio. I'm sure it was Marilyn saying they need to be on a teleconference call with DFO as they are downsizing the run size again. She said they are dramatically cutting it in half or more and they needed to get on this call.

I have not been able to find any info out since the call. Does anyone know what the end result was of that call?

Codfather

CF
See you all the time on the water. I guide outta the Boston whaler conquest 235.
Anyhow my season is now done and upon reflecting it makes me sick.
Slowest, brutally slowest season I've seen in 19 years of doing this. There's been slow periods in the past but nothing like this bad inside fishery coupled with gale winds almost every day making offshore not fun. Saddest thing leaving moutcha yest was the gross snag fest at the river mouth. Dfo needs to close the bay and others like the berman. Some serious things are happening to the chinook and it's sad.

Heading out to fish Esperanza with some buddies over the next 5 days. Any recent reports would be greatly appreciated.
Hey what VHF channel are you on? Will share any info I have with you. Will be fishing up there Wednesday and Thursday in a red Wooldridge without a top.

Last edited:
Cowieslabslayer I know how you feel about the snaggers in the Tar Pit at the mouth of the Conuma. A couple years ago I went down for a evening troll as we wanted to do some catch and release. On my second pass I saw a group of 6 boats in a group that were jigging a school of springs. I was so pissed that I throttled up to 4 mph and trolled right thru the middle of them. I ended up with 5 lines caught on my downriggers and busting off 5 fish to give them a chance at the river.

It's one thing to be using a jig and catching the fish legally like most of the Kayakers do but most guys are using a very large triple hook and yanking as hard as they can to snag the fish in the guts.

The other day my buddy said there was a dozen sea lions causing havoc eating the fish in the bay. That problem need to be addressed ASAP as they eat hundreds of pounds of salmon a week. The same thing is happening at the mouth of the Burman with the sea lions and seals.

Hi Paul, if you monitor 88A you can hear Murphy's guides and you will get a good idea what's going on.

Codfather

Cowieslabslayer I know how you feel about the snaggers in the Tar Pit at the mouth of the Conuma. A couple years ago I went down for a evening troll as we wanted to do some catch and release. On my second pass I saw a group of 6 boats in a group that were jigging a school of springs. I was so pissed that I throttled up to 4 mph and trolled right thru the middle of them. I ended up with 5 lines caught on my downriggers and busting off 5 fish to give them a chance at the river.

It's one thing to be using a jig and catching the fish legally like most of the Kayakers do but most guys are using a very large triple hook and yanking as hard as they can to snag the fish in the guts.

The other day my buddy said there was a dozen sea lions causing havoc eating the fish in the bay. That problem need to be addressed ASAP as they eat hundreds of pounds of salmon a week. The same thing is happening at the mouth of the Burman with the sea lions and seals.

Hi Paul, if you monitor 88A you can hear Murphy's guides and you will get a good idea what's going on.

Codfather

Watched that go down a few years back at the mouth of the Conuma and couldn't believe what I was seeing. What a way to catch a fish and besides who would want those totally black mushy fish anyways?? Total greed!!
That area needs to be shut down. I guess they have their fill of fish in the hatchery be that time so they don't care what happens to the remaining fish and maybe it really doesn't matter!! I would hope that's not the case..

Reactions: abl
Back