2016 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Fishing Reports

Derby those are the same baitfish we found in our offshore Nootka fish in mid-July.

I believe they are juvenile yellowtail or canary rockfish or juvenile pacific ocean perch (not dock perch, but rather the deep-water species). We used a green kinetic O'ki titan in the 4 inch size to imitate their silver-olive colour and did extremely well with fish up to 27 pounds. One day we were releasing multiple 20 pounders out there hoping for a Tyee for our last fish (didn't happen) and the schools of those little baitfish were 50 to 70 feet thick in places.

I've seen them get on that type of bait in the past up around Quatsino and found darker coloured hoochies like a UV army truck worked very well. I would imagine a squirt size would be even better.

We found the same thing in Esperanza ot the beginning of July. Our best lure was a needlefish army truck fly.

Late report... was at Nootka from 7/28 - 8/6 and yes it was slow compared to last year however we still found fish.

1st full day got my limit of springs by Camel
2nd day went 3 for 8 OUCH!!! 1 guy lost all the fish and we made sure he knew it... :D
3rd day ran to beano and it was a little lumpy but didn't have a sniff even though I was marking a ton... in order to salvage the day I ran to my ling spot and we managed to jig up 6 lings in one pass but it was so rough we decided to run back in. Hit beer can bay for some calm water and landed 2 nice springs.
4th day did our morning troll before we dropped our buddies off at Cougar and didn't land anything.
5th day decided to run out to Burdwood after sleeping in and picked up one salmon in the first 30min then decided to head to our ling spot since the ocean was so calm. put 10 lings in the boat and a limit of rockfish, biggest ling was 27lbs
6th day decided to troll inside and picked up a few nice springs with action coming every 30min.
7th day we ran out to our ling spot again with our new group of friends and landed 7 lings biggest was 37lbs and a limit of rockfish
8th day fished inside and only had a few bites but nothing stuck
Last morning... Quick troll in the morning and we picked up a 22lb and 24lb spring.

All in all it was slower than last year however we hooked into a limit of salmon most days just couldn't get them in the boat. Better salmon fishing in Nootka than I could wish for in the Puget Sound even if it was a bad year. Bottom fishing was epic this year with the best quality lings and rockfish and in good numbers.

Late report... was at Nootka from 7/28 - 8/6 and yes it was slow compared to last year however we still found fish.

1st full day got my limit of springs by Camel
2nd day went 3 for 8 OUCH!!! 1 guy lost all the fish and we made sure he knew it... :D
3rd day ran to beano and it was a little lumpy but didn't have a sniff even though I was marking a ton... in order to salvage the day I ran to my ling spot and we managed to jig up 6 lings in one pass but it was so rough we decided to run back in. Hit beer can bay for some calm water and landed 2 nice springs.
4th day did our morning troll before we dropped our buddies off at Cougar and didn't land anything.
5th day decided to run out to Burdwood after sleeping in and picked up one salmon in the first 30min then decided to head to our ling spot since the ocean was so calm. put 10 lings in the boat and a limit of rockfish, biggest ling was 27lbs
6th day decided to troll inside and picked up a few nice springs with action coming every 30min.
7th day we ran out to our ling spot again with our new group of friends and landed 7 lings biggest was 37lbs and a limit of rockfish
8th day fished inside and only had a few bites but nothing stuck
Last morning... Quick troll in the morning and we picked up a 22lb and 24lb spring.

All in all it was slower than last year however we hooked into a limit of salmon most days just couldn't get them in the boat. Better salmon fishing in Nootka than I could wish for in the Puget Sound even if it was a bad year. Bottom fishing was epic this year with the best quality lings and rockfish and in good numbers.

Sounds like you still had a pretty decent trip .

You mentioned things that are taken into account for the projections but you never mention Sea Lice Mortality when the smolts pass by infected fish farms.Why don't you ask your freinds that care deeply about trying to get things right how they can be the stewards of the Wild Salmon and yet at the same time promote Salmon Farm Feed Lots. I agree with closures if thats whats necessary but why don't they start with closing the Fish Farm Feedlots in the Ocean and move them onto land to eliminate this ongoing threat to Wild Salmons survival.

Terrin, I'm not sure if you missed the point I was trying to make. I'm simply saying a forecast is a prediction or educated guess. In my opinion a missed prediction is not grounds to fire every manager in DFO. We all wish forecasts could be accurate 100% of the time but often they aren't (as you've eluded to - there are a ton of variables to consider), and it's DFOs responsibility to respond to in-season data with appropriate action. I'm not saying I know of a better way to forecast or know of every single factor that goes into making them. My post has nothing to do with your anti fish farming/sea lice agenda and I don't know the answers to your questions. What I'm suggesting is if sport anglers notice low Conuma returns and are concerned, it can't hurt to notify DFO and maybe it can influence the decisions made about this fishery for the remainder of the season. Good decisions are often the result of working with good data. Poor decisions are often the result of having bad data or not enough data.

To label anyone employed by DFO to be 'not a steward of the resource' simply because fish farms currently exist in British Columbia is pure BS. In any business or organization, the people on the lower levels of the organizational chart can have passion for their work and do a great job but have little influence over the politics and decisions (or lack thereof) at the highest level. Sorry back to fishing reports, I really hope some late Conuma chinook are on their way...

If the DFO forecasts were off by huge margin and the commercial openings did not occur until the fish reached their terminal areas then it wouldn't be a big deal. The commercial fisheries in Alaska and all down the coast are based on their projected forecasts. So, when the forecasts are way off it has the possibility of doing massive damage to runs that can not sustain that amount of harvest. That is why heads should roll at the DFO, not because they got it wrong again. The commercial fisheries need to be managed in a cautionary manner to prevent over harvest of runs until the numbers of fish returning are confirmed. If that means the northern commercial openings need to be restricted, so be it. Better safe than sorry. Instead they do it the reverse, they make a massive run prediction for the west coast, and increase the numbers the commercial fleet is allowed to harvest. By the time they realize their projections were wrong the damage has already been done. This type of management philosophy will end up collapsing our stocks, just like the did with the east coast cod stocks. Heads should roll, the status quo is only going to lead to one extinct run after another if this stock management course continues.

I am here to remind once again that this is a reports thread. If you want to have a debate about fisheries management please start a new thread in the appropriate forum and keep the reports threads for just that.

Brian

Terrin, I'm not sure if you missed the point I was trying to make. I'm simply saying a forecast is a prediction or educated guess. In my opinion a missed prediction is not grounds to fire every manager in DFO. We all wish forecasts could be accurate 100% of the time but often they aren't (as you've eluded to - there are a ton of variables to consider), and it's DFOs responsibility to respond to in-season data with appropriate action. I'm not saying I know of a better way to forecast or know of every single factor that goes into making them. My post has nothing to do with your anti fish farming/sea lice agenda and I don't know the answers to your questions. What I'm suggesting is if sport anglers notice low Conuma returns and are concerned, it can't hurt to notify DFO and maybe it can influence the decisions made about this fishery for the remainder of the season. Good decisions are often the result of working with good data. Poor decisions are often the result of having bad data or not enough data.

To label anyone employed by DFO to be 'not a steward of the resource' simply because fish farms currently exist in British Columbia is pure BS. In any business or organization, the people on the lower levels of the organizational chart can have passion for their work and do a great job but have little influence over the politics and decisions (or lack thereof) at the highest level. Sorry back to fishing reports, I really hope some late Conuma chinook are on their way...
I have no anti fish farming agenda. They just don't belong in the Ocean in open net cages spreading their crap everywhere.Move them onto land or in closed containment systems.For the record I never labeled anyone employed by DFO to be 'not a steward of the resource', I simply questioned how one can please two competing interests at the same time one with no voice (the Wild Salmon) and the other with considerable financial lobbying (The Fish Farms)?

I am here to remind once again that this is a reports thread. If you want to have a debate about fisheries management please start a new thread in the appropriate forum and keep the reports threads for just that.

Brian
Oops got it. Thanks

Fishing report: it sucks

After reading everyone else’s rant I figure it’s time for me to express my thoughts and opinions.

I have been fishing Nootka Sound since 1979. I came here after seeing the decline in fishing in the states and the Campbell River area. I have seen the heydays here of the 80’s and 90’s. And then the complete Chinook closure in 1996. It devastated the lodges operating in and around Nootka. This was said to protect what was thought to be a run that was in trouble and we were told by DFO that the 2000 and 2001 runs would be phenomenal but they were yet far from projection. It seems to me that we are told what we want to here by those that want us to hear it. It’s all politically based and if the truth be told the ones in charge are making considerations to those lining their pockets. I’m not going to point fingers or name names but…..

It is my firm belief on why sport fishing in Nootka Sound has deteriorated as of the last few years is the open net fish farms that have been allowed to be placed here. Back in the day to fish outside from Dollies to Beano to the reef you never had to fish any deeper than 35 feet even after electric downriggers were allowed. Nowadays it is very common to have to fish 90 to 150 feet. Some say global warming is warming the ocean temperatures but the thermocline still starts at about 5 feet and the water temperature rapidly cools. Don’t believe me jump in the water and try to swim down. If we are in the midst of El Niño then where are the mackerel that were so prevalent the last time El Niño reared its ugly head? My contention is that these disease laden fish farms are spewing out some kind of toxic substance that is driving the salmon to deeper depths. Think about it, the hatcheries are getting their escapement yet the sport fishers and even the gillnetters are getting less and less fish. So you are going to say the bait is deeper hence the fish are but the majority of the bait I see are 50 feet or less. If one spends a little time researching these issues one will find there is merit to this. DFO claims the fish farms are not causing and harm to the wild runs but there is a reason that Norway is doing away with open net farms and requiring complete containment rearing ponds……

I’m not an environmental kook just someone that lives on my island in Nootka Sound all summer since 1989, spends a fair amount of time fishing and paying attention to things. If that doesn’t count, then here’s on more point. Prawning this year was also dismal but what really got my attention is the fact that we did not catch one small prawn. Every last one was a jumbo. Where are the small ones? Guess I’ll find out next spring…..

Now let’s talk jellyfish. Not just the occasional one I mean one after another to the point you spend more time de-snotting you gear than you do fishing.

They thrive on pollution. The mill is long gone so the only major source of pollution in Nootka Sound is massive amounts that stem from the fish farms.

All I can say something has happened here in Nootka Sound. Do I think it is over fishing? Maybe for the prawns but that is an easy fix. Do I think it is the global warming debacle? If that were the case the tuna and mackerel would be here in the sound. Do I think it might have something to do with the fish farms? I’ll let you figure it out for yourselves hopefully before our Chinook and Coho runs are gone forever.

As far as my buddy Codfather ranting about the ineptness of the marine biologists that are making predictions that fall short, I believe they need to put on their big boy pants and truthfully explain what happened. Some want to blame it on the Alaskan troll fishery but I know for a fact how well that is monitored and that they fished only the agreed on quota. Somewhere 70000 Chinook are missing. I personally would like to know where they are. I’m not saying that the numbers posted by DFO are done with exact science but I find it hard to believe they margin of error could be that high. They have spotter planes to catch people fishing in closed areas so maybe they could fly spotting missions to see if and where the fish are holding. That’s not rocket science.

I also firmly believe there is a rampant amount of cerebral rectitus amongst the people we are trusting to make the right decisions on our behalf. Agree or not at least take the time to do the research and draw your own conclusions.

Fishing report: it sucks

After reading everyone else’s rant I figure it’s time for me to express my thoughts and opinions.

I have been fishing Nootka Sound since 1979. I came here after seeing the decline in fishing in the states and the Campbell River area. I have seen the heydays here of the 80’s and 90’s. And then the complete Chinook closure in 1996. It devastated the lodges operating in and around Nootka. This was said to protect what was thought to be a run that was in trouble and we were told by DFO that the 2000 and 2001 runs would be phenomenal but they were yet far from projection. It seems to me that we are told what we want to here by those that want us to hear it. It’s all politically based and if the truth be told the ones in charge are making considerations to those lining their pockets. I’m not going to point fingers or name names but…..

It is my firm belief on why sport fishing in Nootka Sound has deteriorated as of the last few years is the open net fish farms that have been allowed to be placed here. Back in the day to fish outside from Dollies to Beano to the reef you never had to fish any deeper than 35 feet even after electric downriggers were allowed. Nowadays it is very common to have to fish 90 to 150 feet. Some say global warming is warming the ocean temperatures but the thermocline still starts at about 5 feet and the water temperature rapidly cools. Don’t believe me jump in the water and try to swim down. If we are in the midst of El Niño then where are the mackerel that were so prevalent the last time El Niño reared its ugly head? My contention is that these disease laden fish farms are spewing out some kind of toxic substance that is driving the salmon to deeper depths. Think about it, the hatcheries are getting their escapement yet the sport fishers and even the gillnetters are getting less and less fish. So you are going to say the bait is deeper hence the fish are but the majority of the bait I see are 50 feet or less. If one spends a little time researching these issues one will find there is merit to this. DFO claims the fish farms are not causing and harm to the wild runs but there is a reason that Norway is doing away with open net farms and requiring complete containment rearing ponds……

I’m not an environmental kook just someone that lives on my island in Nootka Sound all summer since 1989, spends a fair amount of time fishing and paying attention to things. If that doesn’t count, then here’s on more point. Prawning this year was also dismal but what really got my attention is the fact that we did not catch one small prawn. Every last one was a jumbo. Where are the small ones? Guess I’ll find out next spring…..

Now let’s talk jellyfish. Not just the occasional one I mean one after another to the point you spend more time de-snotting you gear than you do fishing.

They thrive on pollution. The mill is long gone so the only major source of pollution in Nootka Sound is massive amounts that stem from the fish farms.

All I can say something has happened here in Nootka Sound. Do I think it is over fishing? Maybe for the prawns but that is an easy fix. Do I think it is the global warming debacle? If that were the case the tuna and mackerel would be here in the sound. Do I think it might have something to do with the fish farms? I’ll let you figure it out for yourselves hopefully before our Chinook and Coho runs are gone forever.

As far as my buddy Codfather ranting about the ineptness of the marine biologists that are making predictions that fall short, I believe they need to put on their big boy pants and truthfully explain what happened. Some want to blame it on the Alaskan troll fishery but I know for a fact how well that is monitored and that they fished only the agreed on quota. Somewhere 70000 Chinook are missing. I personally would like to know where they are. I’m not saying that the numbers posted by DFO are done with exact science but I find it hard to believe they margin of error could be that high. They have spotter planes to catch people fishing in closed areas so maybe they could fly spotting missions to see if and where the fish are holding. That’s not rocket science.

I also firmly believe there is a rampant amount of cerebral rectitus amongst the people we are trusting to make the right decisions on our behalf. Agree or not at least take the time to do the research and draw your own conclusions.

While I strongly believe that fish farms are playing an increasingly major part in the decline in salmon this one, for me, hit the nail on the head.

It seems to me that we are told what we want to here by those that want us to hear it. It’s all politically based and if the truth be told the ones in charge are making considerations to those lining their pockets. I’m not going to point fingers or name names but…..

... I am more afraid of the alternative... a whole year-class disappearing, especially one that was predicted to be so prominent...

Does look directly like we are headed rather close to that Brad. There is literally NOTHING out there. I decided to run back up and give it the old "college try". A rather large handful of us thinking the same way. In two full days (meaning the full 16+ hours of daylight) we collectively worked over the inside corner, the outside corner, up to Kyoquot Reef & beyond, and had buddies working from right at the Cape up and all the way up well past Winter Harbor. You can count the catch of mature fish damn near on one set of fingers and toes between all of us. They AIN'T There. Period.

Still coming? Check your calendar... :rolleyes:

The reports from Ukee are just as bad at this point, just got off the horn with a couple buddies, and "Worst year we've ever seen" was the common theme.

Lower 48 catches are much lower than predicted?? Spoke with a few down there who basically reiterated what the Ukee Ladz had to say...

So, the question that arises is WTF happened? I'm absolutely certain I ain't the only one with that question...

Just FYI from what I have heard about the AK troll fishery the WCVI component of that catch wasn't outside of the expected.

Not what AF&G and their Troll Association is saying... ;)
Point is moot at this stage regardless...

Where, EXACTLY, did these over-inflated predictions come from, and why are they so goddamn far off base???

Wondering...
Nog

Strange August Fishing/Catching

Esperanza is doing WELL!
Yes catching in Esperanza continues to be GOOD! Sure there are better days than others but that is fishing.
There are lots of 12-17lb Coho being caught some of these Coho will be 20lbs by Sept. & Spring/Chinook/King averaging 25lb are stacked on the cleaning tables Daily. As long as you can fish outside (early morning) Halibut & Ling Cod are very plentiful. Fortunately the water temperatures in Esperanza remain normal for August & the Catching continues at a steady pace.

100_4487SMALL.jpg
100_4488SMALL.jpg

Proud Adam with his 21.5lb Spring &12lb Coho hanging

on the scale. Both caught in Saltery Bay Esperanza.

Barb with her first tyee catch at 6 Mile reef last week.

100_4491SMALL.jpg
100_4457SMALL.jpg

The Aarostal family with their days catch Springs, Coho,

Yellow Eye and Ling

An excited Fred explaining to his first Halibut over 30lbs that

"Man over fish worked this time" 61lb hali caught at the Pins Esperanza

100_4510SMALL.jpg
100_4512SMALL.jpg

Hal, Bob & Ben - 3 Springs, 2 Coho, caught yesterday in front of Catala
Local boys with limits of Coho. caught inside from Otter Is. to Fairway Is. they hooked 10 and got 4. Coho Killer Lures where working well for them.

100_4518SMALL.jpg

Yes lots of legal Halibut from 78lbs-32lbs. Joe and crew
were very busy at The Pins early this morning.

Nootka is a complete other story!

Yes we began noticing changes in the normal fishing/catching production in mid-July.
Normally when the regulations change on July 15 we see a noticeable change in effort moving down into the Nootka Sound Area. There was a weather event around July 10 that caused some upwelling in the near off shore area and at the mouth of Nootka. The result was a significant number of Springs/Chinook/King entering Nootka. All was well & the Epic run of Chinook started their entrance. Fishing/Catching was GOOD at all the normal places.
We are not Scientists. But through our eyes, and the eyes of hundreds of anglers, we do observe much of what is happening in our local waters. The new title for these observers is “Citizen Scientists”.

Observations:

The hot August weather came & along with it the strong winds that blow directly into Nootka from off shore.

Results were the surface water in the sound was held inside and it began rising in temperature.

Wide spread algae blooms appeared from Nootka light far up inside- way more than a normal hot summer.

Jelly fish are more plentiful than most remember, Mackerel have returned & Sun fish are inside all the way to Camel Rk. Yes hotter than normal water in Nootka has dramatically changed the fishery.

Most observers have simply pulled out of fishing down in Nootka.

Some die hard fishers have found the fish very deep in the inlets in the colder waters & are doing well at catching them. But most fishers have moved their efforts to Esperanza Inlet or stopped fishing.

THE GOOD NEWS TO ALL THIS IS- “The Chinook are there, down deep in the cold water, protecting their eggs & sperm from the hotter upper level warm waters which would cause reproduction issues.” Nature has found a way again to help these fish survive and spawn.

All of this will be proven one way or another once the fall rains begin in earnest.

Where, EXACTLY, did these over-inflated predictions come from, and why are they so goddamn far off base???

i think there under staffed to make a solid prediction. through the 80's 144 staff members now only 40ish.
dfo has no money to do anything with. Harper... "we wont raise taxes" they took it from places the public cant see. one was dfo AND not announced yet but more cut backs coming next year. our best bet is to right the government and ask for more $$$. the bonneville dam has a budget bigger than all of the west coast put together.....you want fish we need to make them.

sorry for the sideline

Hi crazycanuck, we have had a couple of good days with some nice salmon showing up. Last night I wacked 4 springs at Beano and I was the only boat there. I went old school like I use to do for years where you never have a 5 on your fishfinder. Always under 49 feet along the kelp beds with the rod almost touching the kelp. Speaking of that, the kelp beds have almost come back to the original state they were in more than 10 years ago when they got wiped out.

Today Burdwood and around the corner was very good also. We took 10 springs out between all the boats and very fresh looking fish.

I have not been told how the gill netters did on Wednesday night but the radio chatter didn't sound very good.

I was offshore and got some nice bottom fish and picked up a 21# spring at the Bouy.

It would sure be nice if this is a good sign of things to come.

pics to follow.

Codfather

Back