2016 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Most of the setups Seafever uses I have tried at one time or another and lets face it everything works sometimes. I never had much luck with oil slick or tiger prawn but then again I don't use them that often. I probably don't play with the leader length as much as him either. I have to get some plugs and try them, funny I've never tried them. Is there two or three that someone can recommend?

I was out this morning feeling the wind wouldn't be too bad and turned out to be quite nice - until about 10 when it got way to ugly for me. It wasn't what I would call a hot day for fishing but there was quite a few coho around as per usual this year and once again not a single spring landed. I tried spoons and hootchies various colour combinations. The only thing that worked consitently was a good old purple haze with matching flasher about a 32" leader. It didn't seem to matter how deep of water I fished I even got one in 400' of water fishing anywhere from 120' - 220'.

I really want to plug in the second freezer this year - hopefully soon!

Was out this morning and fish the humps tried all the local go to combination and well managed to keep 1 nice hatch coho and released so many shakers and wild coho that it was well needless to say kinda ridiculous as could not find a biggie. Decided just before it blew up to go find some lings and well on way to ling hole it got very windy but my buddy and I continued on and welk the hole produced 2 biggies with one bounce on bottom from each of us double header and pounded are way back in... In got quite bumpy pretty quick. Heard there was a 20 plus pound spring brought in though that came from over sangster way

Hedgehog I had great luck with the 5" #727 plug this past week at the humps, 9lb on Tues and a 16lb on Wed

Thanks Ryan, I will give that a try. In the meantime I may have to settle for coho which isn't so bad, at least I don't usually need a net.

Many thanks to all the people on here sharing the lure advice! I'm new to fishing on the ocean and fishing salmon so all this advice couldn't be anymore helpful!

I know Seafever, everything works sometimes and just because it worked today doesn't mean it will work tomorrow.
The usual run of coho again this morning. Kept one caught on purple haze and once again I was in water way over 300' and fishing down to 220'. I tried many spoons and hootchies that produced springs in the past but nothing. An abundance of greenery in the water today. Live to fish another day.

Nice going southern star. I used to fish Ballenas all the time until a certain place to launch became a pain in the butt. I miss the structure over that way but haven't lost a ball yet near FC.

Was out at the humps tonight and landed a 13lb spring at 180' in about 250'. Managed too also lose my net in the process! The joys of fishing solo, oh well it was a great night even with all the rain. Spring took the 5" #727 plug again, that thing has out fished all my other gear as of late. I've been getting all my springs right at dusk lately, usually about 9pm, has anyone else noticed this?

Was out at the humps tonight and landed a 13lb spring at 180' in about 250'. Managed too also lose my net in the process! The joys of fishing solo, oh well it was a great night even with all the rain. Spring took the 5" #727 plug again, that thing has out fished all my other gear as of late. I've been getting all my springs right at dusk lately, usually about 9pm, has anyone else noticed this?
Same for us, 3 good springs at 9 pm lately, 12,16 & an 18 at Winchelsea in gap.

Out off Winchelsea today. High slack was 2 pm. Got a 15lb Chinook at 1 pm and a 7lb same about an hour later.
Splatterback green hoochy, 38 " leader, Blue/Green flasher....
A few smaller hits as well.
4 lb hatch Coho on a T-rex needlefish hooch/ Gold Super Betsy flasher.

Also got a red snapper and a big Ling.

Sweet! First calm day I'll be playing hooky. Maybe head down to Schooner? Or Ballenas from F/C. Sangster?
I tried to get one of those "727" plugs but of course they were out but I think I have similar ones.

Was out all day today, tried sangster and FC. Lots of action but all small stuff. Managed 1 legal spring and a decent ling but all in all a slow day. Couldn't beat the weather though....finally.

Seafever, you're the best! Thanks to your tips, I've picked up a 12 lbs Chinook tonight at Thrasher rock. I love reading your posts and the pics are very helpful.
I will try FC this week...

Thanks Bordeax....congrats on your catch!......glad I could help somebody nail one....:)

We all know that smaller spoons (3 to 3.5") often produce well off mid ECVI.
It works for hoochies too.
In the pic below , the green splatterback is the hoochy I got a 15lb'er on the other day.

Below it is a normal length hoochy.

I cut the splatterback shorter.

View attachment 28596
My leader is 29" long on my splatter back .......we got a nice 16lb white Spring 2 nights ago off Ballenas on my 118 plug!
Happy fishing! Jo

The big swell this morning almost turned us home but we braved it and were rewarded with a 14 lb white spring off ballenas. 190 in 190, army truck 3.5 spoon, green flasher. Binked off a bonus coho when pulling up gear to head home. Great morning. :)

I know Seafever, everything works sometimes and just because it worked today doesn't mean it will work tomorrow.
The usual run of coho again this morning. Kept one caught on purple haze and once again I was in water way over 300' and fishing down to 220'. I tried many spoons and hootchies that produced springs in the past but nothing. An abundance of greenery in the water today. Live to fish another day.

Nice going southern star. I used to fish Ballenas all the time until a certain place to launch became a pain in the butt. I miss the structure over that way but haven't lost a ball yet near FC.
Ya... Have to be careful about my launch and load times there. or im SOL!

I launch FC sometimes too. :)

M

Back