2016 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

The wife and I fished out front tonight, stunner night as weather was perfect. Got two, lost one and had a screamer that we never caught up too . Wife's was close to 20 and the other was 18 ish. Great night

Hi there, and congrats on your two fish !
I'm new to the forum and just getting back into fishing again. I have a 20ft hewes craft and in the past ( before I had kids) I fished for years out of Ucluelet . Now that my son is old enough Ive been tying to find some local east coast spots to get him into the sport. The fingers have been way to windy lately so tonight I tried French Creek for the first time tonight but didn't have much luck and spent half the evening pulling seaweed off my gear. I was using a 3.5' kitchen sink and a 4' Kermit, fished around 120ft on my downriggers and managed one hatchery coho. I was wondering if you or anyone else could give me some pointers for finding some springs in the area ?

I think I heard you guys when you had that screamer on...lol !

Thanks Brent

Last edited:
Hi there, and congrats on your two fish !
I'm new to the forum and just getting back into fishing again. I have a 20ft hewes craft and in the past ( before I had kids) I fished for years out of Ucluelet . Now that my son is old enough Ive been tying to find some local east coast spots to get him into the sport. The fingers have been way to windy lately so tonight I tried French Creek for the first time tonight but didn't have much luck and spent half the evening pulling seaweed off my gear. I was using a 3.5' kitchen sink and a 4' Kermit, fished around 120ft on my downriggers and managed one hatchery coho. I was wondering if you or anyone else could give me some pointers for the area...and maybe how I might better my chances at finding some of the springs in the area....what did you get your two springs on last night and how deep ?

I think I heard you guys when you had that screamer on you couldn't catch up to...lol !

Thanks Brent

Look for the 2 humps on your plotter. fish inbetween them in 150-250 feet of water with your favourite gear near the bottom. sometimes that means 250+ on the riggers. Good luck

The wife and I fished out front tonight, stunner night as weather was perfect. Got two, lost one and had a screamer that we never caught up too . Wife's was close to 20 and the other was 18 ish. Great night

LiveLines and I are coming across this afternoon. We'll see you out there!

Kinda slow for me last night, managed one hatch coho out front. Tried the river for a bit but too much salad in the water for me. Has anyone else been having any luck at the little q? Saw lotsa boats but not much action

Look for the 2 humps on your plotter. fish inbetween them in 150-250 feet of water with your favourite gear near the bottom. sometimes that means 250+ on the riggers. Good luck

well I'm going to give it another try tonight. I'll try a little deeper and keep closer to those humps. My favourite gear would include anchovy but seems to be to an abundance of dogfish so I guess I'll just keep switching up what spoons I have till something starts working...maybe try some smaller ones ?!? Thanks for the advice.

Had a great day at Ballenas yesterday with an old buddy. Managed our limit on springs, two over twenty and two under as well as a very scrappy halibut. Yup you heard right Hali at Ballenas, fished there for twenty years and never seen or heard of Hali there but I guess it was my lucky day. Hootchies we're catching everything, spatter back and army truck. beauty sunny day and flat calm, doesn't get ant better..........BRS

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 198
headed out of french creek tonight. Partner cancelled so looking for a partner. Depending on wind headed for sangster. Pm if interested.

Great to see bigredsnapper. Very NICE .. Good report and great luck, way to go ....... 20 years is a whole lot of stay it will pay mowhaha

out again today little q produced 22.5 this morning and the humps landed me a 15.5 hatchery coho. biggest coho i've caught and early for that sort of size! big hook on his nose. caught him on 602 tomic.

Thanks guys havin Hali again tonight. Got a ten pounder this morning solo at Ballenas and it blew up and decided to leave after I was last boat left. Awesome fishing right now, Bushy got a beauty 25 lb yesterday that took big air twice 200 ft then a 100 ft lots of fun right now get out there...........BRSimage.jpeg

good reports sounds like sangster and ballenas are the spots to be was out front fc last night lots of unclipped coho couple shaker springs and one just legal for us

Thanks guys havin Hali again tonight. Got a ten pounder this morning solo at Ballenas and it blew up and decided to leave after I was last boat left. Awesome fishing right now, Bushy got a beauty 25 lb yesterday that took big air twice 200 ft then a 100 ft lots of fun right now get out there...........BRSView attachment 29286
I didn't recognize your boat Gregg. I waved to you as you came in. I ended up with a 13 lb spring, released a small spring, and caught about 6 coho. Pretty crazy trying to fish and control a boat in those winds solo. Sure some nice fish you and Charlie have been getting into. Good for you.

Hey Jerry, saw when I pulled up. Nice new Yammy, heard you liked it a lot. Yes fishing has been very very good. That wind was nuts, fished for a while in it before I came to my senses. If anything is gonna go wrong that's the time it will happen. A Murphy, Mother Natre combination is not what I need right now...............BRS

Back