2016 Nanaimo Reports

We went 2 for 4 today out off nanaimo. 1 big hit that didn't stick, 1 popped the clip hit hard ran for awhile and gone. Landed a 17 shortly after and then a just over legal. Green speckled back hootchy at 180 took the first hit. Bon chovy skinny g took the rest at 137. Was out from 130 until 430

Nicely done :).

Good luck in the derby this weekend folks.

Fished off the fingers on Thursday from 10 AM until around 2 PM. Two or 3 other boats in the same area and we didn't see a lot of nets out scooping up fish. We got 1 good solid bite on a kitchen sink at 150''and that was it. Ran over to Tharsher Rock looking for a ling for dinner. Got 2 undersize on anchovies and 2 very nice Rockies. Beautiful day on the water and a tasty dinner. Don't know where all the springs are but will keep on looking as long as the weather holds windwise.
Cheers; twogone

Curious what how the derby went... I didn't get to partake. Any decent fish taken? Still pretty spotty out there? Or starting to see more fish?

Well run derby, for a good cause. Congratulations to all of the Serauxmen involved - notably Chris.
I vote for a subcategory in next year's edition of the derby: biggest Pacific Cod.

How many tickets were sold? Anywhere you can view the top fish caught?
I heard them say they sold around 250 tickets, 150 of which were sold in the last week. You can see the fish on the serauxmen facebook page.

We fished for about 30 hours over Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Only boated 15 springs in total and we were fishing hard the hole time. It is a grind out there but there are fish around in 100- 1000 feet of water. We threw the hole tackle box at them but got most of our fish rolling chovies.

Fished Entrance this morning for lings with no luck. Went from the Fingers to the spoil ground and got into 7 springs between 1: 30 and 2: 30. Kept 2, naturally the big one got away. All on Army Truck hootchy at 180 ft.

Hoping to do some fishing off Thrasher Rock this coming May long weekend. Any reports from there or close by that can help a new guy land a few big ones to start the season.

Thanx.

Went out tonight from 18:30 until 20:30. Got 1 just under size on green speckle back hoochy at 145 in 750 feet of water. The hit came within 15 min. after starting.
Didn't see other boats playing fish.

Is this an unusually slow start for Chinook in your area ?
seems last few years there were lots of fish being caught before now.

Nice fish hot reels. Couple shakers this morning. Out front fingers down to neck. No other action seen. Threw the whole tackle box at er but no love for us.

Is this an unusually slow start for Chinook in your area ?
seems last few years there were lots of fish being caught before now.
This is deff one of the slowest starts I can remember, usually this time of year is when you can head out and catch your limits in no time. It's weird because the fish came in late in April, and were around in good numbers till we had that big wind storm then all of a sudden its lights out. Hope it picks up soon.

Nice fish Hot Reels!

This is deff one of the slowest starts I can remember, usually this time of year is when you can head out and catch your limits in no time. It's weird because the fish came in late in April, and were around in good numbers till we had that big wind storm then all of a sudden its lights out. Hope it picks up soon.

Nice fish Hot Reels!

And here i thought the last couple of good years were the exception and not the norm.

Yesterday was my best day but I've only been out 2 times. The hot weather may be a factor. 600 tomic at 100' got me a couple

Fished from about 8:30 to about 1700. Landed two barely legal before 11:00. At 150ft on army truck hootchies with twinkle skirts. Couple shakers and lots of pollock throughout the rest of the day. image.jpeg

Was out this morning from 5am - 11am. Lots of small fish and just unders were caught and released, 1 keeper in the cooler and a couple decent fish LDR... At about 9:30 the pollack showed up and you couldent even get your gear in the water.

Every hook that went in the water had a fish on it within a minute or two but chovies still out fished 2 to 1.

Back