2016 Nanaimo Reports

I threw a few prawn traps off the fingers on Sunday and let them soak for 8 hours, only got one tiny prawn... Seen the commercial guy out there last night dropping pots everywhere around the areas I had mine so there should be absolutely none left once he's done...
Commercial prawning starts on the 15th May

godfather most sport fishers are on 88a on there vhf..Did you open up a restaurant for those amazing ribs from knootka Ive been fishing there for 14 years got 5 weeks booked this summer june and of course july/august.hope everything is well

Lots of boats out there last few days and no reports..hmm, sounds like its slowed down out there, anyone have any reports?

Out yesterday morning and again tonight, brown water with algae all over. Fished fingers, spoil grounds even Entrance. Very quiet on the rods not even seeing any pollock around.

Came over from the other side to fish the derby this weekend. Didn't salmon fish today, but did very well bottom fishing lings out off entranc drifted 50 to 120 feet. See how the salmon goes next few days

Not much action tonight at Fingers. No salmon, just ling cods. All boats were empty at the dock as well.
Lots of sticky algae on the line.
The wind storm seem to have had an effect.

Ya I was out all afternoon Wednesday too and only caught a diving bird on the way up, it was an adventure though, trying to get the hook out of its wing while its trying to bite you is tougher than you'd think, not a bite in 6 hrs aside from that though.

There is still the odd fish out there right now.. We have managed a couple decent fish each time out this week... First day out after the wind storm (Tuesday) we bonked one nice spring with some hard fishing but not a single p-cod... Obviously something was way out of whack from the wind/moon. Went out again yesterday, beauty day on the water and picked up a few nice ones including this guy.

image.jpeg

Kitchen sink has been the ticket, homeland and resurrection a close second. Hopefully it picks up for the weekend and best of luck to everyone in the derby!

I agree that there is the odd fish off Nanaimo, but this is not the middle of May we have seen the past few years. I fished the morning tide and right through to sunset yesterday, from Snake to Lantzville. Not a lot of feed showing on my sounder. Hit a couple up on the border of the forbidden zone off Lantzville - both lost. One was a classic screamer that pealed off a hundred yards before getting off. First big fish I have touched this year. Then nothing till late in the day off the Fingers. Tried everything, but Irish Cream at 150' had all the hits. Beautiful day!

Nice report and fish Buckethead!

It's been absolutely crazy at work this spring. Going to get the final maintenance stuff done on my gal tonight and might actually get out there this weekend:).

Thanks for all the reports guys, thats kinda what i figured was happening. Usually when the forum goes quiet that goes the same for the fishing. Hopefully some more runs come in soon! Best of luck to everyone in the derby this weekend!

We went 2 for 4 today out off nanaimo. 1 big hit that didn't stick, 1 popped the clip hit hard ran for awhile and gone. Landed a 17 shortly after and then a just over legal. Green speckled back hootchy at 180 took the first hit. Bon chovy skinny g took the rest at 137. Was out from 130 until 430

Back